Menu

Where to stay in Washington DC?

easypeasy

We might be throwing together a last-minute 3-or-4 day trip to D.C... I'm the type who usually needs months to plan out a trip, but I only have about a week to A) decide if we're going there, or somewhere else and B) decide where to go, and what to do?

I realize that many of you here have likely recently BTDT, and so I want to ask for suggestions? Places to stay that aren't outrageous? Should we stay farther away and take public transit in? Drive ourselves? For-sure places to not miss? Places that are overrated and safe to scratch off the list? I haven't been to DC since I was 10, and dh hasn't been since he was 3, so family memories aren't a lot of assistance. ?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

If your budget can manage it, I would stay in the center of the city. But it is surely less expensive to stay outside of the city and take the metro in. I have stayed outside the city along the red line before. I think it is also popular for tourists to stay in the Arlington VA area and take the orange line in.

There are so many wonderful things to see and do, and most of the museums are free. As for the ones that charge admission, I think that the Newseum is worth it and that the Spy Museum is not. But I am sure others would disagree with me.

If you want to see the Holocaust museum or the National Museum of African American History and Culture, you will need timed entry passes. It is probably too late to get them in advance, but we recently got same-day timed passes to the African American museum the morning of our visit. They are posted at 6:30 in the morning and go FAST.

• Like 1

The last minute nature of the trip rules out certain tours that need several weeks for security clearance, but on the bright side, that means you don't have to worry about scheduling those things!

We just got home from DC.  We had free nights and oodles of points, so I'm no help on hotels -- we stayed at the Willard, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're looking for. But I'm really fresh on what we liked seeing and doing there!

We only did free tours. I would only tour Congress with a personalized tour from your congressperson/their aides -- the general public tour is just looking at the various statues, and really dull.  The surprise favorite was touring the Supreme Court.  LOVED the wildlife photography exhibit in the Natural History Museum, but I'm not sure how much longer it's there.  Dh loathed the Burning Man exhibit at the Renwick.  He adored the National Gallery of Art -- we ended up visiting the West Building twice (and eating at Oyamel Cocina Mexicana a couple of blocks north of there -- very small portions, so you can order a big variety of food).  We happened to be there on Solstice Saturday when the Smithsonians are open until midnight, which was amazing.  On Fridays there's jazz in the Sculpture Garden of the National Gallery (they were rained out when we were there). People often carry their lunch into the atrium at the middle of SAAM/National Portrait Gallery and eat there (dd interned there last year -- I would not have expected this to be an accepted thing to be carrying a lunch into a museum).  Speaking of food, the cafe at the Nat'l Museum of the American Indian looks fascinating, but we ran out of time before we could try it.

Bike rentals and Segway rentals are incredibly popular; you can cover a lot of ground in the Mall that way.

Overall, the TripAdvisor time estimates for how long you'll probably spend in each building were pretty accurate.

Edited to add:  I wish I'd taken dresses and skirts to wear.  They wouldn't have been out of place since people tend to dress up more, and it's so very very very humid that I would've been cooler.  I *did* take loose linen tops, which worked out nicely. 

• Like 1

We have never stayed in the city so I can't speak to that. We have however stayed in Manassas and Centerville, and then took the Vienna St. Station/Fairfax metro into the city. If you get off at L'Enfant station, you are not far from the Smithsonian Air and Space. Capitol South spits you out close to the Library of Congress and the Capitol lawn. It is about $11.00 per person round trip. DC is going to be hot, hot, hot. I recommend that you dress comfortably and have good walking shoes.

• Like 1

Agreeing with the others to stay on the outskirts of town (ours was a cheap Red Roof Inn) & take the Metro in & out of the city.
We also found it was cheaper to fly into Baltimore & take the commuter train/bus to Wash DC.

Enjoy your visit!  We focused on the monuments & the Smithsonian.  ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Hotel Harrington is where we stayed a few years ago. It was  clean, but not updated. We had 5 in our family, were in one room, and each had his/her own bed. It was quirky, but inexpensive for the area and we didn't spend a lot of time in the room.

I stayed at Hotel Harrington several years ago for a Girl Scout trip. It isnt fancy but it was safe and clean. I would stay again.

I would do my homework and compare the cost of parking/staying in the city vs. staying in an outlying hotel with free parking but paying Metro fares. Metro coss add up quickly especially for a family. If you stay in the city, consider looking at Parking Panda or similar websites for cheap parking near your hotel instead of paying exhorbitant hotel parking prices. In general, weekends at hotels will be much cheaper than weeknights. Look around for specials for the best prices. We've stayed in Crystal City and Rosslyn for close in. Chevy Chase is a great idea too.

Where to go and what to see depends really on your family. I'd stick to the Smithsonians because they are free. But DON'T eat at the $$$$ little food carts on the Mall! Instead, go a block either side of the Mall and eat at food trucks, or look for a food court nearby. (Union Station is a great one, and the architecture is so pretty!) Some that we've enjoyed: National Gallery of Art (favorite place!), American History Museum, Air & Space Museum, Lincoln Memorial, Library of Congress.

If you go to the National Zoo, the best tip was one I read here--get off the Metro at one stop north of the zoo (NOT the zoo stop!), and walk downhill to the zoo. When you leave the zoo, continue walking downhill to the zoo Metro stop. (But it was not a great zoo by any stretch.)

At the library today, the woman behind the counter was musing about going to see WashDC. She's in her mid 50s, and for her whole life has lived less than a four hour drive away, but has never been! And I thought WOW, it's really SO close!

3 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

I would do my homework and compare the cost of parking/staying in the city vs. staying in an outlying hotel with free parking but paying Metro fares. Metro coss add up quickly especially for a family. If you stay in the city, consider looking at Parking Panda or similar websites for cheap parking near your hotel instead of paying exhorbitant hotel parking prices. In general, weekends at hotels will be much cheaper than weeknights. Look around for specials for the best prices. We've stayed in Crystal City and Rosslyn for close in. Chevy Chase is a great idea too.

Where to go and what to see depends really on your family. I'd stick to the Smithsonians because they are free. But DON'T eat at the $$$$ little food carts on the Mall! Instead, go a block either side of the Mall and eat at food trucks, or look for a food court nearby. (Union Station is a great one, and the architecture is so pretty!) Some that we've enjoyed: National Gallery of Art (favorite place!), American History Museum, Air & Space Museum, Lincoln Memorial, Library of Congress.

If you go to the National Zoo, the best tip was one I read here--get off the Metro at one stop north of the zoo (NOT the zoo stop!), and walk downhill to the zoo. When you leave the zoo, continue walking downhill to the zoo Metro stop. (But it was not a great zoo by any stretch.)

At the library today, the woman behind the counter was musing about going to see WashDC. She's in her mid 50s, and for her whole life has lived less than a four hour drive away, but has never been! And I thought WOW, it's really SO close!

We have lived all over the country and have been amazed at the number of people we met who had never been out of their county, let alone out of their state! It's astounding!

Here’s my take on parking in the city: If you park, you have to walk back to your car. If you metro, you just have to walk to the nearest metro stop. It’s nice to be able to cover more ground, or explore beyond the mall, without backtracking to your parking place or needing to move your car. 

I don’t remember where you’re coming from, but if it’s not a hot and humid place be prepared to move at a slower pace. It’s really hot this week. I love it, but my family is really suffering. I suggested a DC jaunt at lunch today and almost got stabbed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, wilrunner said:

We have lived all over the country and have been amazed at the number of people we met who had never been out of their county, let alone out of their state! It's astounding!

I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia - 16 miles from Center City (think Liberty Bell).  I was lamenting to someone - a native of my neighborhood - that I hadn't spent enough time in NYC which is only about 100 miles away. The lady I was talking to said she had never been there, and furthermore had never been to Philadelphia.  Now driving into the city is a huge pain. But by train it's $10 r/t and 30 minutes.  I couldn't imagine having lived here all her long life and never once going into the city. 

Sorry I can't help with DC.  I've been twice, both times we stayed outside the city and metro'd in. I have no memory of where we stayed. Generic Best Western type place most likely.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

Here’s my take on parking in the city: If you park, you have to walk back to your car. If you metro, you just have to walk to the nearest metro stop. It’s nice to be able to cover more ground, or explore beyond the mall, without backtracking to your parking place or needing to move your car. 

I don’t remember where you’re coming from, but if it’s not a hot and humid place be prepared to move at a slower pace. It’s really hot this week. I love it, but my family is really suffering. I suggested a DC jaunt at lunch today and almost got stabbed. 

I agree. When we went, we parked nearby (possibly at Hotel Harrington) and didn't use the car for the rest of the trip. It was much easier traveling by foot or the metro. I wouldn't want to drive in the city!