Menu

vacationing in Colorado

carlosthecat

Colorado Springs has a lot within driving distance.  We are basically at the base of the Rocky Mountains.  There are tons of trails to hike/bike, rock climbing outfitters who can help you rock climb in the Garden of the Gods, white water rafting within a shorter drive, a popular cave, and a trail that leads you to the top of pikes peak.  They used to have a cog train that went to the top of pikes peak, but that is closed and they now have shuttle service.  We've lived here three years and have yet to hike all the trails that are close to us.  The Vale area has a bike trail that goes alongside a river.  Estes park is close to Rocky Mountain National park which has tons of hiking.  Really, there are very few places you can go wrong in Colorado (except the Durango area -- like pp above mentioned - fires.  It's been really dry here lately).

• Like 4

Red Rock Amphitheater is a really neat place to go and walk around.  They have lots of big name concerts there but you can also go there when there isn't a concert and walk the amphitheater and their visitors center.  There are also hiking trails in that area.  Also Mt Evans is a really pretty drive and may have snow on top.  When we were there several years ago there were some sort of sheep or goats at the top.  I don't remember what they were because it has been awhile.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bethben said:

Colorado Springs has a lot within driving distance.  We are basically at the base of the Rocky Mountains.  There are tons of trails to hike/bike, rock climbing outfitters who can help you rock climb in the Garden of the Gods, white water rafting within a shorter drive, a popular cave, and a trail that leads you to the top of pikes peak.  They used to have a cog train that went to the top of pikes peak, but that is closed and they now have shuttle service.  We've lived here three years and have yet to hike all the trails that are close to us.  The Vale area has a bike trail that goes alongside a river.  Estes park is close to Rocky Mountain National park which has tons of hiking.  Really, there are very few places you can go wrong in Colorado (except the Durango area -- like pp above mentioned - fires.  It's been really dry here lately).

What happened to the Cog RR? I loved doing that when I went in 2008. It was September and the Aspens were breathtaking. 

I really enjoyed the Boulder and Golden areas back in May. Colorado Springs and Manitu Springs were a bit more touristy, but still had lots of hiking. Really, if you like outdoor activities, you can’t go wrong anywhere. 

Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful, but there are also tons of great state and city parks with tons of hiking, biking, kayaking, fishing, etc. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quill said:

What happened to the Cog RR? I loved doing that when I went in 2008. It was September and the Aspens were breathtaking. 

Apparently, the cog railway was just starting to show its age and there are a lot of little issues that they want to make sure are resolved.  The thing has been going for over 100 years, it’s hard to maintain (hello 14,000 feet!), and hard to find parts for because there are only two cog railways in the world like that one. Basically, they want to make sure it’s safe and not have a trainload of passengers slide down a 14,000 ft mountain.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bethben said:

Apparently, the cog railway was just starting to show its age and there are a lot of little issues that they want to make sure are resolved.  The thing has been going for over 100 years, it’s hard to maintain (hello 14,000 feet!), and hard to find parts for because there are only two cog railways in the world like that one. Basically, they want to make sure it’s safe and not have a trainload of passengers slide down a 14,000 ft mountain.

I thought it was privately owned and no new ownership was interested in buying it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rachel said:

I thought it was privately owned and no new ownership was interested in buying it. 

This is the official word on that.  https://www.pikes-peak.com/pikes-peak-cog-railway-closed/ or further information about what the detailed plans are to open it again  https://m.gazette.com/cog-railway-owner-manitou-springs-officials-considering-75-million-to-95-million-plan-to-reopen-the-tourist-attraction/article/1627547

• Like 2

We did go to the paint mines.  It is one of those spots that you could drive by and not even realize it’s there almost.  It is neat, but really away from other things to do and see and smaller than I expected.  Expect your children to get covered in chalk dust.  

• Like 1

Thank you for so many great suggestions. It is overwhelming trying to narrow down a trip to such a fabulous area.  Never thought to visit a ghost town or hot springs and the suggestions for where to bike are very much appreciated!

Has anyone ever biked down Pikes Peak?  If so, was it worth the money to go with a guide?

Any other out of the way, non-touristy ideas? 

1 hour ago, carlosthecat said:

Thank you for so many great suggestions. It is overwhelming trying to narrow down a trip to such a fabulous area.  Never thought to visit a ghost town or hot springs and the suggestions for where to bike are very much appreciated!

Has anyone ever biked down Pikes Peak?  If so, was it worth the money to go with a guide?

Any other out of the way, non-touristy ideas? 

Are you a skilled down hill cyclist? If not, I would use a guide to cycle down pikes peak. It is quite steep and curvy and I am pretty positive that there is not a bike line.  Also, no guard rails!  There really isn't much of a shoulder. I don't even like going down in a car!

• Like 1

Another popular place to cycle downhill in Coloroado Springs is Cheyenne Canyon. I think it would be less precarious than going down Pikes Peak.  Here is a video of someone going downhill on Cheyenne Canyon Road:

It is still way too terrifying for me but at least there isn't a chance of riding off a 14000 foot mountain!! Mountain biking is also popular on the trails there. Mount Muscoco and Mount Cutler are beautiful trails to hike in the canyon. 

• Like 1