Menu

US college diploma while living overseas?

Tap

I have a family member who is going to be overseas for several years. They don't want to stop their education in the process and since their work relocate them at any time, they don't want to try to use university systems in those countries.  Are there any US universities that will work for this circumstance?  Working on a degree  that could eventually transfer into the science world would be ideal, but since lab based sciences are unlikely in an online style class, they are open to other majors. They want to end up with a transferable BA/BS in the process so they can continue their science education once they are home. They may apply to medical school in 6-10 years or so, but want to travel for a while first before they are tied down to school/residency etc.

• Like 1

I think it might be possible. One might need to make an occasional trip to be on  campus, but I believe there are some reputable schools that have degree programs that can be completed via Distance Learning. Texas Tech University may have some degree programs that fall into that category.  http://today.ttu.edu/posts/2018/01/best-online-engineering-programs

It might be worth sending them an email or giving them a call on the phone.

I hope you will post back to this thread with what you find is available.

• Like 1

Where is this person in their education already? Is there a particular branch of science they are interested in? 

I would worry about a ten year old, online education as a good foundation for graduate study, especially for medical school. It may make more sense to work and travel for now, and start classes closer to when they want to become a full time grad  or medical student.

• Like 2

If the goal is medical school, I wouldn’t go the route of online college in a non-science field.  

Maybe something like Public Health but only if they plan to settle in for an additional science degree closer to the time they plan to sit for the MCAT and apply.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

If the goal is medical school, I wouldn’t go the route of online college in a non-science field.  

Maybe something like Public Health but only if they plan to settle in for an additional science degree closer to the time they plan to sit for the MCAT and apply.  

I think that is more of the plan right now.  Get undergrad classes done online that will transfer in to a science program in the long run.  For instance.....taking calculus and stats vs taking easier 'applied math' or similar classes.  Making sure to take core history and humanities that will transfer to most colleges, vs more specific ones that may only transfer as elective credits.  If they can get a BS/BA even if it isn't in the sciences they will at least have a completed degree. There are many degrees like you mentioned Public Health that will be potentially applicable to a career in medicine, whether or not they pursue an MD licence. 

They don't want to stop moving forward academically, since they don't know exactly when they plan to return.  It could be a year from now, or it could be 6 years.  They just don't want to stand still in the meanwhile and loose momentum on going to school.

I would look into University of Maryland University College. It primarily serves military overseas and is designed with that type of student in mind. Also very easy to transfer credits to other University of Maryland schools (College Park or Baltimore College) both of which would look good if the goal is med school. 

• Like 3

I think UMUC, also.  

I’m a question I would have would be about time zones.  If they want to talk to someone on the phone for some reason, can they call an office that runs on their time zone?

My husband is very satisfied at the student adviser (?) he talks to, the person he talks to is at an Education Center on a military base. 

If the person would be able to call them to talk without being up in the middle of the night, I think that would be helpful.  

My husband will talk to her on the phone sometimes before he registers for classes. 

Anyway — I don’t know if non-military students can call the ones on military bases or not, but I don’t see why not — I think they are UMUC employees.  

I think it is really possible that things could be done with email or not even come up that anything is needed as far as advising or enrollment questions, but it’s something I think could be nice.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tap said:

They don't want to stop moving forward academically, since they don't know exactly when they plan to return.  It could be a year from now, or it could be 6 years.  They just don't want to stand still in the meanwhile and loose momentum on going to school.

Just because this person is not earning college credit does not mean they are not moving forward. Traveling and working around the world offers lots of first hand learning. Spending free time logging into classes could be wasting opportunities to more deeply experience a new culture.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JanetC said:

Just because this person is not earning college credit does not mean they are not moving forward. Traveling and working around the world offers lots of first hand learning. Spending free time logging into classes could be wasting opportunities to more deeply experience a new culture.

I absolutely agree!  They are wanting something to work on in their down time. LOL They are a bit of an overachiever :) They asked if I have ever hear of a program like this so I told them I would ask around. (they asked because they know we used a lot of different paths for out kids educations).

• Like 1

Lots of colleges have on-line options now.  Are they residents of a specific state? Perhaps there's a college with on-line options in their state.  They could do generals for two years online, and then maybe move to the college and do the second half on campus.  I'm assuming it's one of their children.  If it's the actual wage-earner or spouse, then I suppose moving to the college campus would be out of the question~