Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW17: The Listeners by Walter De La Mare

Robin M

2 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

If we are able to count more than one county per book, you may not want to, Venetia went to York too.  Counties visited in this book: Yorkshire, York/ East Sussex/ London.

I can't find anything that looks appealing, for me, yet with Tyne and Wear.  Like a pp mentioned, it may end up being covered with a Wild Card village.

Q: I think I remember this being discussed before, sorry for the repeat.....  Perhaps Amy or Sandy could help with this: Are we able to "count" all the counties mentioned in a book or just 1 county per book?

It's been on my want to read list for years for that exact reason - I've just started it, switching between book and audio, and I'm enjoying the (lengthy and rather Charles Dickens-ish) language usage so much.   I'll update enjoyment progress with the story next week.

Sharing this wee snippet,  which relates to Tom Brown's lineage: 

This family training, too, combined with their turn for combativeness, makes them eminently quixotic. They can't let anything alone which they think going wrong. They must speak their mind about it, annoying all easy-going folk, and spend their time and money in having a tinker at it, however hopeless the job. It is an impossibility to a Brown to leave the most disreputable lame dog on the other side of a stile. Most other folk get tired of such work. The old Browns, with red faces, white whiskers, and bald heads, go on believing and fighting to a green old age. They have always a crotchet going, till the old man with the scythe reaps and garners them away for troublesome old boys as they are.

Too lazy to delete the extras but consider Amy and Sandy in consultation:unsure:

Woot!  Robin, hope this time is the charm!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

Woot! Woot!  Contracts are signed and building contractor starts on Monday.  Hoping 3rd times the charm.  

That is such good, good, news!  I've been hesitant to ask as we are on our second lot of builders, they are so good to work with, but the process to get there was very stress generating.

Hoping you can work well with this contractor.

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Here's a BBC article explaining that Alice in Wonderland is set in Tyne and Wear: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33694931

Counting it as Tyne and Wear then :biggrin:

57 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Too lazy to delete the extras but consider Amy and Sandy in consultation:unsure:

Where a book has more than 1 county I could use, especially for more difficult counties,  I've been reading an extra book, from any county, to count towards a total of 45 books read.  Is this too Rebel Bus-ish :wink: 

ie: using the five counties mentioned in Three Men in a Boat, I've gone on to read/listen 4 other books set anywhere in Britain.    

• Like 7

12 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

If we are able to count more than one county per book, you may not want to, Venetia went to York too.  Counties visited in this book: Yorkshire, York/ East Sussex/ London.

<snip>

York was a setting in Venetia?  I knew she went to London but I don't remember anyone going to York.  But hey, if so, I'll take it!  :-)

• Like 4

Just mentioning -- for Tyne and Wear I read Geraldine Jewsbury's The Half Sisters, a Victorian feminist novel that would certainly count for the bingo square, and starts and ends near Newcastle. Very readable and entertaining. If anyone in the US has a hankering to read it, pm me your address.

• Like 5

The other day I started Far From the Madding Crowd on audio and discovered something (note that I am speaking for myself only):

Thomas Hardy is an author who must be read, not listened to. 

Maybe it's because I listen while driving and doing chores, and my attention may be momentarily distracted at times so I'm not able to really savor the words.

Have any of you found that to be true about particular authors (not just Hardy)?  I need to stick to simpler stories on audio. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

Question about the bingo square ‘feminist author’:

do you want a book from that author, or is a book about one also okey?

after this I will plan some Britt Tripp Books again :)

Robin, I am in the same situation.  I just went and looked at my planned book for that square, yes, I also have a book about an early feminist author.  Mine is Margaret the First https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25943007-margaret-the-first?ac=1&from_search=true.  I can switch but might need ideas because I believe that I googled feminist author's to find Margaret.  :laugh:

33 minutes ago, marbel said:

The other day I started Far From the Madding Crowd on audio and discovered something (note that I am speaking for myself only):

Maybe it's because I listen while driving and doing chores, and my attention may be momentarily distracted at times so I'm not able to really savor the words.

Have any of you found that to be true about particular authors (not just Hardy)?  I need to stick to simpler stories on audio. 

For me my audio choices are somewhat of a mixed bag.  I find that I concentrate a much better on non fiction of I am listening to it.  I generally find books from the historical romance and lighter mystery categories frustrating to listen to because I can read them so much faster!  I haven't tried Hardy on audio but will admit I suspect that he might be a good audio for me but I am generally listening with headphones and quilting so very little distraction........Btw I hand quilt so no machine operation involved.  When I listen and work around the house I have been using my Christie rereads or similar.

• Like 7

A one day only free audiobook ~

"Tangerine By Christine Mangan

Narrated by Barrie Kreinik & Erin Mallon / 9 hours 28 minutes

Tangerine is a sharp dagger of an audiobook—a debut so tightly wound, so replete with exotic imagery and charm, so full of precise details and extraordinary craftsmanship, it will leave you absolutely breathless.

The last person Alice Shipley expected to see since arriving in Tangier with her new husband was Lucy Mason. After the accident at Bennington, the two friends—once inseparable roommates—haven’t spoken in over a year. But there Lucy was, trying to make things right and return to their old rhythms. Perhaps Alice should be happy. She has not adjusted to life in Morocco, too afraid to venture out into the bustling medinas and oppressive heat. Lucy—always fearless and independent—helps Alice emerge from her flat and explore the country.

But soon a familiar feeling starts to overtake Alice—she feels controlled and stifled by Lucy at every turn. Then Alice’s husband, John, goes missing, and Alice starts to question everything around her: her relationship with her enigmatic friend, her decision to ever come to Tangier, and her very own state of mind.

Optioned for film by George Clooney’s Smokehouse Pictures, with Scarlett Johansson to star."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

I finished both Middlemarch and A Higher Loyalty. Middlemarch was definitely worth the reread because I was able to notice things that escaped me the first time I read it. My review of A Higher Loyalty is here

Far From the Madding Crowd is a favorite of mine, and the only Hardy I've read and liked. While it isn't exactly a happy story it's less depressing than the other two of his I read - Jude the Obscure and Tess of the D'Ubervilles. 

Count me in with those who found The Lottery compelling. I read it in high school, which was a lifetime ago and have never forgotten the effect it had on me. It's the kind of story that never leaves you. 

On 4/26/2018 at 10:26 AM, aggieamy said:

After I did some more detailed stalking on Goodreads I noticed you have added but didn't rate We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Do you remember why you thought it was meh?

I think it was just the story, plus I didn't think the twist was really all that surprising. I also didn't care for The Haunting of Hill House. Shirley Jackson's style just isn't a favorite of mine. 

19 hours ago, Robin M said:

Woot! Woot!  Contracts are signed and building contractor starts on Monday.  Hoping 3rd times the charm.  

Fingers crossed for you!

5 hours ago, marbel said:

Yes, I have. There are books I listened to that I think I would have enjoyed more if I read them, and vice versa. There are also some I prefer as audio books. Kate Morton with her formulaic style is one. Some light mystery series like Her Royal Spyness and Amelia Peabody (though the narrator sometimes annoys me) are  books I don't think I'd like if I read them in print. I tried listening to some Toni Morrison novels and I much prefer them in print. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, loesje22000 said:

Question about the bingo square ‘feminist author’:

do you want a book from that author, or is a book about one also okey?

after this I will plan some Britt Tripp Books again :)

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Robin, I am in the same situation.  I just went and looked at my planned book for that square, yes, I also have a book about an early feminist author.  Mine is Margaret the First https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25943007-margaret-the-first?ac=1&from_search=true.  I can switch but might need ideas because I believe that I googled feminist author's to find Margaret.  :laugh:

Yes, book about a feminist works. 
Mum, Margaret the First is good. 
Feminist author can be a book written by a feminist or about a feminist or feminism in general. 

Just learned the secret of getting rid of double space. Hold down shift button while pressing enter.  :smile:

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Yes, book about a feminist works. 
Mum, Margaret the First is good. 
Feminist author can be a book written by a feminist or about a feminist or feminism in general. 

Just learned the secret of getting rid of double space. Hold down shift button while pressing enter.  :smile:

Great! 

I am reading a book about Belle van Zuylen,  in English & French known as: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabelle_de_Charrière

that will fit the square :)

• Like 4

4 hours ago, marbel said:

4 hours ago, mumto2 said:

For me my audio choices are somewhat of a mixed bag.  I find that I concentrate a much better on non fiction of I am listening to it.  I generally find books from the historical romance and lighter mystery categories frustrating to listen to because I can read them so much faster!  I haven't tried Hardy on audio but will admit I suspect that he might be a good audio for me but I am generally listening with headphones and quilting so very little distraction........Btw I hand quilt so no machine operation involved.  When I listen and work around the house I have been using my Christie rereads or similar.

I loved Far from the Madding Crown in audio format. I tend to do better with audio versions of older fiction as the readers make those long, clause choked sentences sound natural. I often want a print edition by me so I can mark passages, or re-read them, but while my intentions are good, in reality this hardly ever happens! I also re-listen to lots of fiction, and have been thinking this is one I ought to revisit soon. 

I'm with mumto2 in that I listen while doing hand work -- hand quilting or knitting, or while driving. And I want my fluffier books in print, too, so I can read them faster. Mysteries I always do in print.  Last night I was doing some machine piecing and had to keep pausing my audio book while using the sewing machine, but would turn it back on when it was time to press seams or square blocks. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Now I need to know: how does an audiobook handle the bit from Far From the Madding Crowd where the hoofprint patterns of Bathsheba's horse are illustrated? The text even says the illustrations are necessary because they can't be asily described.

I'm not sure because I read the book but often audio books that include illustrations come with a pdf. There have even been a few I got from the library that includes the pdf. It might not be the same as seeing illustrations as you read, but at least you don't have to miss out on them.

• Like 5

I have to give a big shout-out to the Free Library of Philadelphia. I don't live in Philadelphia, but any PA resident can get a card for free. 

I've had a library account with them for a year or two, which I used for borrowing ebooks and audiobooks via Overdrive and Hoopla. I never had a physical card and never went into a branch to check out books.

But I wanted an actual book recently, so requested it online and had it delivered to a branch close to me. On Thursday, I went in and got the book, and asked for a card because I expect to check out more  books in future.  I walked out with my book and new card.  

Today was the first day since then that I went into Overdrive on my phone to look for a new audiobook. And my account was gone!  Just gone! I went to the desktop and tried to log in there... and it was gone. I got out my new card and tried to log in with that number (which was different). It worked with my password, but my holds, wish list, and current checkouts were all GONE! 

I rattled around the house for a bit, fuming, and then went to the library site to see if there was something I could do. Filled out the contact form giving the relevant details. 

Within the hour I had a reply, telling me that the staff member should have asked me about Overdrive activity*, and that they had merged the 2 accounts.

My books are BACK!  

(*I had told her that I had been using the card for Overdrive and Hoopla, but she didn't seem to... care.  I just assumed she would print a card for my existing account.)

That is some good service.  OK, really good service would have obviated the need for me to ask at all.  But still.  I'm happy!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, marbel said:

I have to give a big shout-out to the Free Library of Philadelphia. I don't live in Philadelphia, but any PA resident can get a card for free. 

That is some good service.  OK, really good service would have obviated the need for me to ask at all.  But still.  I'm happy!

Whew! Glad you got your account back and didn't lose anything. Yes, she should have done it right the first time but it sounds like they fixed the issue pretty quickly.

Non-residents can pay for an e-card to use on ebooks and audiobooks. Although I currently pay to belong to the Fairfax County Virginia library, I had a Free Library of Philadelphia account a few years ago. I love that these larger libraries allow non-residents to join. It allows those of us who have libraries with a slim to none selection in the ebooks and audiobooks category to still be able to borrow, and it helps the library get extra money through the imo very reasonable out of state fees.

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Violet Crown said:

Now I need to know: how does an audiobook handle the bit from Far From the Madding Crowd where the hoofprint patterns of Bathsheba's horse are illustrated? The text even says the illustrations are necessary because they can't be asily described.

Oh dear. I have no idea, don't remember this bit at all. Where in the book? I'll keep a "lookout" for this the next time I listen! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

This information has improved my quality of life!

1 hour ago, JennW in SoCal said:

And I want my fluffier books in print, too, so I can read them faster. Mysteries I always do in print.  Last night I was doing some machine piecing and had to keep pausing my audio book while using the sewing machine, but would turn it back on when it was time to press seams or square blocks. 

Sometimes if I listen to mystery audiobooks I have to listen to them on 2x speed towards the end to find out who the murderer is. It sounds like Alvin, Simon, and Theodore are solving the mystery.

19 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Q: I think I remember this being discussed before, sorry for the repeat.....  Perhaps Amy or Sandy could help with this: Are we able to "count" all the counties mentioned in a book or just 1 county per book?

Where a book has more than 1 county I could use, especially for more difficult counties,  I've been reading an extra book, from any county, to count towards a total of 45 books read.  Is this too Rebel Bus-ish :wink: 

ie: using the five counties mentioned in Three Men in a Boat, I've gone on to read/listen 4 other books set anywhere in Britain.   

We have consulted. Official ruling is that if a book is set in multiple counties it can count for ANY county but only ONE. To follow up with the Venetia example- it can count for Yorkshire OR York OR East Sussex OR London. It's a bit Rebel Bus-ish (good word btw) but it sounds like what you're doing is following the rules. Sounds like you're counting Yorkshire and then reading some wild cards to make up for the other counties. 

Let's be honest. Sandy and I aren't the best mean bosses of people because we really want everyone to be having fun. Count it as Rebel Bus and keep reading. (I feel like Rebel Bus is going to be a term I use for years!)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Oh dear. I have no idea, don't remember this bit at all. Where in the book? I'll keep a "lookout" for this the next time I listen! 

Chapter 31, when Gabriel Oak and Coggan think they're tracking a gipsy horse thief but it's actually Beersheba sneaking off to Bath to meet Sergeant Troy.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm not sure because I read the book but often audio books that include illustrations come with a pdf. There have even been a few I got from the library that includes the pdf. It might not be the same as seeing illustrations as you read, but at least you don't have to miss out on them.

Aha! That makes sense. Last time I listened to an audiobook, it was a cassette tape in my Walkman; I didn't know we'd moved on to visuals.

• Like 4

On 4/26/2018 at 12:37 PM, Kareni said:

Uggg....I can not figure out how to get rid of this quote box.

Anyway, I just finished a very good, thought provoking, stick with you audio book.  Everything Here Is Beautiful.  A story of two sisters, one with mental illness, the other struggling to care for her through the years.  It is not a light, upbeat, book but it makes you think about mental illness, immigration, family, etc on a whole new level.

The audio book was very well done as it had different narrators for the different characters.  One warning.....there are a few very brief explicit scenes/mentions that I felt the book could well do without.  Easily glossed over if reading, a bit harder with an audio book.  Just an FYI if you have others (or kids) listening.

Screenshot_20180428-193609.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

I couldn’t quote everyone but I have to say I became curious enough to locate Far From a Maddening Crowd in Overdrive.  I may try it but currently have no room thanks to my on going romance with a handsome man named Sebastian St. Cyr with unusual eyes and incredible hearing...his latest case has taken me to Camelot in London.  Apparently the theory really exists.  http://www.britainexpress.com/London/Camelot-in-Cockfosters.htm

4 hours ago, marbel said:

I've had a library account with them for a year or two, which I used for borrowing ebooks and audiobooks via Overdrive and Hoopla. I never had a physical card and never went into a branch to check out books.

But I wanted an actual book recently, so requested it online and had it delivered to a branch close to me. On Thursday, I went in and got the book, and asked for a card because I expect to check out more  books in future.  I walked out with my book and new card.  

Today was the first day since then that I went into Overdrive on my phone to look for a new audiobook. And my account was gone!  Just gone! I went to the desktop and tried to log in there... and it was gone. I got out my new card and tried to log in with that number (which was different). It worked with my password, but my holds, wish list, and current checkouts were all GONE! 

I rattled around the house for a bit, fuming, and then went to the library site to see if there was something I could do. Filled out the contact form giving the relevant details. 

Within the hour I had a reply, telling me that the staff member should have asked me about Overdrive activity*, and that they had merged the 2 accounts.

My books are BACK!  

(*I had told her that I had been using the card for Overdrive and Hoopla, but she didn't seem to... care.  I just assumed she would print a card for my existing account.)

Glad they were able to fix your problem!  

3 hours ago, aggieamy said:

Sometimes if I listen to mystery audiobooks I have to listen to them on 2x speed towards the end to find out who the murderer is. It sounds like Alvin, Simon, and Theodore are solving the mystery.

I do the really fast speed with repetitive parts.....I get bored.  Normally I listen at 1:25 speed.  My current audiobook is dragging.  I picked it for the N in Aven.  It’s the first in Elizabeth Peters Vicki Bliss series and is just too light for an audiobook.  I would love to make it faster but I can’t understand some of the voices!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, marbel said:

York was a setting in Venetia?  I knew she went to London but I don't remember anyone going to York.  But hey, if so, I'll take it!  :-)

:biggrin: Venetia spent an hour in York signing documents with a Mr. Mytchett, before travelling on to Sussex and then to London.  She also stopped in York on her way back home and rested at the inn.  (I've been through Venetia a few times :blush: )

5 hours ago, aggieamy said:

We have consulted. Official ruling is that if a book is set in multiple counties it can count for ANY county but only ONE. To follow up with the Venetia example- it can count for Yorkshire OR York OR East Sussex OR London. It's a bit Rebel Bus-ish (good word btw) but it sounds like what you're doing is following the rules. Sounds like you're counting Yorkshire and then reading some wild cards to make up for the other counties. 

Let's be honest. Sandy and I aren't the best mean bosses of people because we really want everyone to be having fun. Count it as Rebel Bus and keep reading. (I feel like Rebel Bus is going to be a term I use for years!)

Thank you rule consulters   DS said to encourage you, "that setting up games, with rules that cover all eventualities takes effort" - he's a serious board gamer.  I'll have to do a bit of title shuffling to keep what I've done so far, as it was fun....  being a Rebel Bus-er I'll endeavour to realign from here on (Rebel Bus is going to be a term used here too).

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I loved Far from the Madding Crown in audio format. I tend to do better with audio versions of older fiction as the readers make those long, clause choked sentences sound natural. I often want a print edition by me so I can mark passages, or re-read them, but while my intentions are good, in reality this hardly ever happens! I also re-listen to lots of fiction, and have been thinking this is one I ought to revisit soon. 

I'm with mumto2 in that I listen while doing hand work -- hand quilting or knitting, or while driving. And I want my fluffier books in print, too, so I can read them faster. Mysteries I always do in print.  Last night I was doing some machine piecing and had to keep pausing my audio book while using the sewing machine, but would turn it back on when it was time to press seams or square blocks. 

I feel the same way! Also, I really don't like swearing in audiobooks. I can skim over it when reading and and it won't bother me as long as it isn't frequent but when listening it jumps out at me and takes me out of the story. 

I've pretty much stopped listening to mysteries on audio - I always want to be able to turn back and check the clues and it's almost impossible to do that when listening!

• Like 5

13 hours ago, marbel said:

There are certain authors I have to read too Jane Austen is one of them.

8 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

This!  And yes,  it's nice to have those titles on whispersync, or as a printed book, too so I can pause and reread certain portions. 

I like certain fluffier books on audio more than in printed format (Mrs. Pollifax, Agatha Christie, Georgette Heyer, Miss Read) but most other books I like printed format to skip the swearing, if any, for the same reason Laura mentioned!  Babylon's Ark ~ Lawrence Anthony on audio was seriously jarring for me. 

• Like 7

Telling Tales, my Ann Cleeves Northumbria read that I changed to Durham because of a Village name is totally in East Yorkshire.  Just read a scene where the apparently “fictional” village’s church steeple can be seen from the Humber.  What a relief!  Maybe I can get the book finished now that the distances will make sense but I am really sorry to have lost my surprise Durham book.

Btw,  it’s really common for there to be multiple villages with the same name in different parts of England,  It’s always better to program a Sat Nav using the post code as opposed to village/Street if you aren’t somewhat clear on where you are going or you can find yourself heading in the wrong direction. I know this from experience, enough said!

• Like 6

11 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

:biggrin: Venetia spent an hour in York signing documents with a Mr. Mytchett, before travelling on to Sussex and then to London.  She also stopped in York on her way back home and rested at the inn.  (I've been through Venetia a few times :blush: )

Thank you rule consulters   DS said to encourage you, "that setting up games, with rules that cover all eventualities takes effort" - he's a serious board gamer.  I'll have to do a bit of title shuffling to keep what I've done so far, as it was fun....  being a Rebel Bus-er I'll endeavour to realign from here on (Rebel Bus is going to be a term used here too).

Ah, OK! Thank you! I remember Mr Mytchett but didn't catch that he was in York.  Must have been a detail missed while listening distracted.  :-)

Yes, our rule consulters are doing a wonderful job!  

• Like 5