Menu

Mattress recs that aren't too costly.

PrincessMommy

When we moved here back in Oct. we got rid of our old king sized mattress because it was way too soft.  We happened to have 2 X-Long twin mattresses from when we had the kids living at home.  We put them into the King frame which I topped with a  king sized feather mattress topper.   But ever since we moved I wake up EVERY morning with a very sore back.  I struggle to stand up straight and get out of bed.  Man, it makes me feel old.   My dh says to just buy a replacement mattress for my side.  Ugh.

Any recommendations?

We recently ordered a Tuft and Needle Mint mattress.  The king was only $700.  We needed something with low VOCs and most options were very pricey.

They have a 100 day trial period.

We have only had ours for two weeks, but I like it thus far.

Our previous mattress was a white lotus organic rock, errrrr, hand sewn futon type thing.  I hated it, so anything was going to be an improvement.  

• Like 1

We have friends who love their inexpensive Ikea mattress.  

Our last two mattresses have been fantastic.  We ordered them from the Simmons Guest Purchase program.  We stayed somewhere for a week that had pretty comfortable beds, and when we needed a new mattress we called and asked whether we could get those kind of mattresses for home use.  They were on the high side of reasonably priced, but are supposed to last a lot longer than standard home mattresses because they are intended for commercial use.  We LOVE them.  

One thing to be aware of (I wasn't)--good mattresses are much deeper now than the old 'standard' depth, and so if you have an older bed you might need to get a bucky board rather than a box spring, being much lower profile, to end up with the mattress being at the same height relative to the headboard and footboard.

• Like 2

Joining in as I need a new mattress soon.  I loved the mattress on the bed at the Sheraton we stayed at for Special Olympics.  Issue is they change models and names so frequently that I can't find the same one.

I hate mattress shipping as they make it so hard to compare.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We've had Ikea mattresses in the past have not been impressed.  

I read somewhere that the thinner the memory foam mattress the firmer it is so I don't now if the 10" or the 8" would be best.  I don't want a rock, but OTOH I don't want to sleep in a concave.  

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

We LOVE our Saatva mattress.  Not only is it wonderful, but their warranty/return/exchange policy can't be beat.

https://www.saatvamattress.com

Another Saatva owner for a little over a year now. Been happy with it. I think with delivery, the total came to about $1300 or 1400 but I cannot remember exactly. We have the CA King. If you are just replacing a twin size for your side of the bed, it will be way under $1000.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ottakee said:

Joining in as I need a new mattress soon.  I loved the mattress on the bed at the Sheraton we stayed at for Special Olympics.  Issue is they change models and names so frequently that I can't find the same one.

I hate mattress shipping as they make it so hard to compare.

You might try doing what we did.  We called the place we stayed at and asked them whether their mattresses were available for purchase.  They connected us with the program (through Simmons, in that case) to buy home mattresses that match the hotel ones, and we went from there and were completely thrilled.

• Like 1

Probably not a good time to buy a mattress is when you're in extreme pain from what you expect is your old mattress.  But, I bought one of the Purple mattresses.   I'm hoping it arrives next week, but it looks like it may be the week after that.  :( 

https://purple.com/mattresses

I looked at all the ones you guys suggested and looked through several reviews.  One of the reasons I picked this one is because it looks like it is a good choice of side/back sleepers (I move around).   While the Saatva got consistent great reviews, the price-point was just too much, even in my misery.  My husband strongly suggested I don't go too cheap... and we haven't had good experiences with memory foam type mattresses.  

I get it 100 days to decide (another contributing factor), and I can update this thread if people are interested.

sincerely - Debbi (who walks like an old lady every morning).