Menu

My little girl just drove off by herself.

LuvToRead

I know.  We have the Find Friend app on our phones so we can see where she is at any given time, and that has helped tremendously.

We're still living in the stone age, no smart phones.  Well, DH has one for work, but we don't pay for it.  She has an old slide phone and she is supposed to text me when she gets there.  Her sister is with her, and will tell me if she is careless!

Today DD asked what age restrictions are on learner's permits in our state. I told her "15 or 15.5 I can't remember... why?" her response "because mom, I'm going to be 15 in a few months".... CRAP :svengo: . 

DS is soon to be 17 and has no real interest in getting his permit or license. In fact DD will probably be driving before he does the way he's going.

• Like 1

My oldest is only 12 (but has been driving on the farm for 2 years). I left her one day and went into town. When I came home... she was gone. Her truck was gone. 30 minutes later she reappeared (her grandfather needed her, also on the farm). Driving is nerve-wracking (for the parents)

She's counting down the months (18) until she can drive off the farm. I, otoh, am not.

• Like 1

My oldest is only 12 (but has been driving on the farm for 2 years). I left her one day and went into town. When I came home... she was gone. Her truck was gone. 30 minutes later she reappeared (her grandfather needed her, also on the farm). Driving is nerve-wracking (for the parents)

She's counting down the months (18) until she can drive off the farm. I, otoh, am not.

That would be worrisome!  

I love that my boys can drive . It is very helpful. Ds got his learners almost 3 1/2 years ago, so I worry less about him except for his speed and icy roads. We have Life 360 on them and it does help them be more aware of speed. Plus I always know where he is.

I am certainly not going to miss all the time I spend waiting on them for sure.  Most of our activities are 20 minutes (the farthest is an hour) so I spend a lot of time waiting, because it does't make sense to come back home.   One can only go to the grocery store so many times, and the library closes at 5.  

• Like 1

She is home safe and sound.  

:grouphug:  :hurray:

DD#1 got her license last fall, but started driving all by herself to lots of things this semester. The first couple times it was extremely nerve racking for me. Now, while I still worry (ice! snow! other drivers!), I'm so glad I don't have to ferry her (or the other kids) as many places.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :hurray:

DD#1 got her license last fall, but started driving all by herself to lots of things this semester. The first couple times it was extremely nerve racking for me. Now, while I still worry (ice! snow! other drivers!), I'm so glad I don't have to ferry her (or the other kids) as many places.

I feel you.  Dd just got her's in December.  It is such a mixed bag of feelings watching her drive off by herself. 

So glad others understand!

• Like 1

I'm so glad to be beyond that nerve-wracking anxiety of the first few weeks of a child driving by themselves, and on into the wonderful world of enjoying not driving them places.  Today dd left the house at about 9:30, and arrived back home around 3pm ... and I wasn't involved in any of it, except for the part where she or someone with her was texting about their location.  Wheeeeeee!

Safe travels to your dd!  

• Like 2

I'm so glad to be beyond that nerve-wracking anxiety of the first few weeks of a child driving by themselves, and on into the wonderful world of enjoying not driving them places.  Today dd left the house at about 9:30, and arrived back home around 3pm ... and I wasn't involved in any of it, except for the part where she or someone with her was texting about their location.  Wheeeeeee!

Safe travels to your dd!  

She has something tomorrow and I am thankful I don't have to take her.  I am also going to send her to the library to pick up books I have on hold!  Win-win for everyone.