Menu

help me understand this "poem" thing

ktgrok

A friend of my husband's created this. She's getting her MFA in "Poetry in the Expanded World" which I don't understand exactly either, lol. 

I see that parts of this are the Tyger poem by Blake. I'm guessing the pictures are from a tv show I don' watch or recognize, and then biology words put into the periodic table in some sense?

Anyone want to offer thoughts or help me understand how this all goes together? 

I feel dumb. 

http://www.abadpennyreview.com/origins-carbon-orchestra/

I am not a big fan of experimental poetry, but people have played around with words and images for a long time, to create different forms and effects and to explore what happens when they do that. Cut words out of books and randomly arranged them, used a computer algorithms to create aleatoric poetry (John Cage for example), arranged words according to images, rearranged scientific technical texts, all kinds of very random stuff.

It is an experiment. And there may not be a "message" or "what the poet wants to say". It may not make "sense". Look at it, and you may find it interesting or not.  And you may find the process interesting or not. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

As I've gotten older, I've gotten better at separating an artist's (writer's/poet's) process of creation and my experience of their finished piece. I used to look at something and say, "Well that's weird, and I don't get it." I would also subconsciously equate my lack of "getting it" with a lack of value. Not saying this is what you did, only that it is what I used to do.

Nowadays, I enjoy seeing information on the process, to understand more of how a piece came to be and what went into creating it. Without any extra information, I'm left with my reaction to a piece. Do I enjoy it? Do I find it interesting? How does it make me feel? Why? And my answer to these questions are totally independent of the artist's creative process and the finished piece's value. 

As for the piece you linked: I'm not familiar with the Tyger poem; the images seem very small, and I'm having a hard time recognizing anything; and I don't have very strong background knowledge of the periodic table. So overall, it leaves me feeling a little, "Meh." I would be interested in learning more about how this piece came to be. 

• Like 1

I don't understand it either but it bothers me that the biology words one still has some of the elements on there but there in the wrong place. 

I think the pictures are all from the same show but I can't tell for sure, even magnified they are hard to see.   It made me think it would be cool to take characters from different shows in the same genre and put characters in the spots they would fit best - like put the most volatile people in the alkali metals column and the calm peaceful ones in the Noble gases.   :laugh:

Can you make a living as a poet these days?

I don't understand it either but it bothers me that the biology words one still has some of the elements on there but there in the wrong place. 

I think the pictures are all from the same show but I can't tell for sure, even magnified they are hard to see.   It made me think it would be cool to take characters from different shows in the same genre and put characters in the spots they would fit best - like put the most volatile people in the alkali metals column and the calm peaceful ones in the Noble gases.   :laugh:

She works as a technical writer by day. 

SaveSave

Ok. I'm not bothered by it,like I'm not trying to say it's too weird. I just was wondering if I was missing something that would make me say, "oh! Now I get it!"

I wasn't sure if my lack of cultural knowledge regarding the show, or the periodic table, was keeping me from a better understanding of this. 

Maya Angelou did.  I can't think of anyone else that's a household name for poetry who's alive now.  I suspect people who are good at writing poetry are more likely to go into music writing these days, unless they are from an especially literary family.

It looks like most (if not all) of the images are from the show "Hannibal" which was a tv series about Hannibal Lectre (silence of the lambs etc). Knowing this tv show, the poem is actually pretty interesting. Particularly the "little lamb dost thou know who made thee little lamb part", which plays into the Silence of the Lambs movie. Also, orchestral music was a bit part of Hannibal's character background, so was science and...obvs biology.

I am not versed well enough in poetry criticism to really parse out or explain why all these elements work well together, but they make a very striking combo, that's all I know.

I think it's VERY cool.

Edited by Above The Rowan
  • Like 2

Maya Angelou did. I can't think of anyone else that's a household name for poetry who's alive now. I suspect people who are good at writing poetry are more likely to go into music writing these days, unless they are from an especially literary

Whoops. Sorry. Thinking of someone ekse

Edited by scholastica