Menu

American Girl dolls - what extras to order?

We got my daughter an AG bathtub (not really AG but it fits AG) from Target with accessories. She enjoys this. I also made her jammies that match hers. She and her friends really enjoy playing school with their dolls so they are always making accessories to serve in a schoolroom ??? I kind of wish I'd gotten her Felicity's windsor chair so she (Felicity her doll) could have a decorative place to sit....instead of the bathtub.

Oh, and she likes the homemade clothes purchased on ebay as much as she likes the catalog ones.

There is a cute pair of PJ's on sale right now for $14 and the matching doll set for $8 on the sale page online. My dd favorite things for the AG's besides the clothes are Licorice the cat, Coconut the dog , table and dishes, and the AG horses. The horses at Target are equally nice, but I noticed over the weekend they had gone up to $50! They use to be $29 and on sale for $19.

Whatever doll clothes are on sale each month at the website. I check the first of each month to see what new stuff is on sale.

:iagree:Be sure to check the sales whenever you make a purchase. They often have things greatly discounted. Just tonight I noticed that several of their "World" books are half price and a piece of furniture my daughter wants, regularly $36, is on sale for $10. Can't beat that at Target!

There is a cute pair of PJ's on sale right now for $14 and the matching doll set for $8 on the sale page online. My dd favorite things for the AG's besides the clothes are Licorice the cat, Coconut the dog , table and dishes, and the AG horses. The horses at Target are equally nice, but I noticed over the weekend they had gone up to $50! They use to be $29 and on sale for $19.

Are you sure the ones you saw were shelved correctly? The website is showing the horses at Target to be $34.99, so they've gone up, but not by that much.

My daughter's friend really enjoys the 'doctor" type accessories---cast, crutches, ice pack, etc. How about a bed? They have those at some of the craft stores less expensively. There are also clothes there for 18 inch ones, but be aware the shoes may not fit properly. AG dolls have wide feet.

We bought our daughter a Bitty Baby and a stroller from Toys R Us. (The AG stroller was backordered until December something). We figured she won't be in to changing it's clothes, at least for now.

Depending on the ages, the outfits and the pets always have been a hit in my family. My sister who is musical always wants the instruments. There are so many neat things, I don't think you can go wrong. :)

We have Molly's trunk, and it's a really easy way to keep the clothes packed up and away yet easily accessible for play. (well, not all of them fit in it anymore!) The clothes hangers are great; they fit in the doll trunk. Also, a rubbermaid container or something to keep the shoes and all the little stuff in is very helpful.

Molly (dd, not the doll) really enjoys playing with the animals (Samantha and Molly's dogs, Kaya's goat, etc) and the beds. They're very sturdy, and have seen a LOT of play here.

Currently, dd wants the play set that comes with the cast, crutches, bandages, etc. Not sure why, but it's on her list!

astrid

Did you see this coupon thread started by Staci?

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66212

I was going to recommend the doll hair brush they sell...is that the same as a wig brush?

Are you getting a historical doll or a AG of Today?

My dd has enjoyed the pets for the dolls and all the different clothes. She also likes the dolls to each have a Christmas outfit and the Christmas gift that each historical doll has.

Many times, you can find the books in sets at warehouse stores. (Ours is called BJ's.)

As mentioned the accessories and clothing that goes with the Target Our Generation dolls fit AG. Additionally, you can get clothes from heritageclothesline dot com. This company has some dresses that copy the period dresses of the various AG historical dolls.

There are some accessories you will only be able to get through AG. The accessories you want will depend on the doll. But I do watch what is on sale and once in a while that will match what dd may have been wanting. I noticed last year many things went on sale on Dec. 24--so if you dd has a late winter or spring birthday you may want to watch for that. I would buy hair care things through AG.

My dd is 11 and still loves her AG dolls. She even saved pet sitting money and bought one on her own.

My daughter got a Just Like Me doll first, but it looks nothing like her anymore. She always wanted Josefina and Felicity. Grandma got her Felicity. She still wants Josefina but, I think two $100 dolls is more than spoiled. But, I wished we'd just stuck to the historical dolls. We found a Kit and Kirsten doll at a garage sale for $40 with clothes, and an AG bicycle. I sold the Kirsten doll for $60 so now we have Kit and all the accessories to give daughter 2 for Christmas. So someday, if spoiled daughter #2 gets a second AG doll then we'll get Josefina. Grandma, and Aunts have still purchased clothes for Josefina for her Felicity. In fact her dolls have clothes from all the different characters. The historical clothes are such fun? I like the idea about the cast and stuff, I may go for that for Christmas.

Grandma got her Felicity. She still wants Josefina but, I think two $100 dolls is more than spoiled.

I'm really struggling with this same issue. A great aunt we never see got dd a Bitty Baby when she was 1 or 2. Grandma got her Emily last Christmas and has provided AG knock-off clothes for holidays since then. Now, dd insists that she really has to have Molly for Christmas. There part of me that resists the idea because they do cost so much, but then I wonder what the difference is between spending the $100 on one item or several. If I hadn't already ordered some other Christmas things I probably wouldn't hesitate, but I don't want dd to expect a bigger and bigger Christmas each year. Conundrums!

Storage for all the clothing and accessories is important. I always wanted to get DD a doll closet, but I could not find one big enough and didn't have time to learn how to make one. I ended up using Rubbermaid storage boxes for everything. I bought doll stands for her dolls. DD was fine with that. I was the one who wanted it to be a perfect American Girl doll world.

The doll closet at Target is nice, I bought one a couple of years ago, its still going strong. I know they had them earlier this year.

AG just reduced prices on their sale page for the 8+ for girls and dolls online. These prices are the cheapest I have ever seen. The webspecial for a historical doll, christmas dress, accessories, and hair brush on the sale page and that sale goes off Sunday I think...?