Menu

Random silly vent

Elizabeth86

I have been organizing new baby girl's clothing. For my boys for summer my 2 favorite types of clothing were specifically Carter's one piece rompers or whatever you call them and the 3 piece sets with a shirt, onesie and shorts. Know what annoys me?? These sets for girls from Carter's all have elastic on the legs and the boys did not. Sure it looks cute, but has no one told them some people have huge chubby babies and that does not mix well with elastic. Just saying. This young and already females must be uncomfortable to look cute. Arg.

• Like 4

Along that line, why do boy shorts have a decent length inseam but girls shorts only have a couple inch inseam? I can usually find a decent length short at the beginning of the season, but if I don’t buy them right then, they’ll be sold out later.

• Like 5

I do find it annoying when baby and kids clothes are really impractical and uncomfortable.

I have the opposite problem to some extent - my son is so skinny that a lot of clothes fall of him - he's been that way since he was a toddler.  I often find myself looking for things in the girls department mainly because they are cut slimmer for their length and tend to have elastic bits.  Unfortunately I can't always find things in gender neutral style that he will accept now that he isn't a toddler.

I actually don't have a big beef with conventional differences in male and female clothing.  There are cases where one group gets the short end of the stick in terms of comfort or style or practicality, and I also think our society makes more of male vs female styles than it used to in order to fuel consumerism, and I really dislike that.  It's actually a lot worse now than when I was a kid.

However, I think diversity in clothing styles is a pretty harmless way to culturally express sexual dimorphism, and that's something that people do want to express some of the time and I don't see that changing.  

Not a silly vent.

I was one of those kids that hated uncomfortable clothes.  I still can't stand to have seams touch parts of my skin, forget about elastic.  I was so relieved that with my boys it was easy to find soft, comfortable clothes for them.  The girls' department looks wicked scary! 

I'm not one to spend much on baby clothes unless I have to, so I'd say go for Garanimals.  They're cheap, and no elastic legs.  The most you might get is a ruffle around the edge of the shorts.

• Like 1

Along that line, why do boy shorts have a decent length inseam but girls shorts only have a couple inch inseam? I can usually find a decent length short at the beginning of the season, but if I don’t buy them right then, they’ll be sold out later.

This! My boys have no problems, but poor DD’s thighs + car seat buckles. WHY must they make only short shorts for girls?

• Like 1

I always collected neutral boy clothing for dd.  It was usually cut more comfortably and often cheaper.  It was also easier to find solid color clothing that did not have tacky prints or graphics.  But the biggest reason is being able to build a wardrobe with darker colors.  Not black or anything.  But reds, blues, grey, etc.... that hid stains better.  The whites, yellows, and pinks in the girly clothing was unlikely to make it out of dd's life without some sort of impossible-to-remove stain.  This was especially true of outerwear.  Light pink snow pants.....really?  I hate waste and I would rather purchase clothing I know we be reusable since dd was unlikely to be in any one size long enough for wear to be a factor.  It is easier to pass along or sell outgrown clothing when it can be worn by either gender too.  Dd lived in solid colored onesies with another solid color shorts/pants/overalls.  

• Like 2

I do find it annoying when baby and kids clothes are really impractical and uncomfortable.

I have the opposite problem to some extent - my son is so skinny that a lot of clothes fall of him - he's been that way since he was a toddler. I often find myself looking for things in the girls department mainly because they are cut slimmer for their length and tend to have elastic bits. Unfortunately I can't always find things in gender neutral style that he will accept now that he isn't a toddler.

I actually don't have a big beef with conventional differences in male and female clothing. There are cases where one group gets the short end of the stick in terms of comfort or style or practicality, and I also think our society makes more of male vs female styles than it used to in order to fuel consumerism, and I really dislike that. It's actually a lot worse now than when I was a kid.

However, I think diversity in clothing styles is a pretty harmless way to culturally express sexual dimorphism, and that's something that people do want to express some of the time and I don't see that changing.

It's just frustrating that the cute girls clothes are impossible for them to move in. I'd love cute, pink, flowery shorts with longer in seams, so she can go down a slide in summer without burning her thighs. Or cute toddler one piece rompers with no elastic to leave marks on her thighs. Or jeans with enough room to bend and sit, from the girl section. I want cute girly clothes for her. I WANT to express her gender through her clothes, not be forced to buy boys clothes in order for my daughter to move. But it's nearly impossible. Clothing manufacturers have decided that girls shouldn't play. They just stand and watch, I guess. It's a battle every year to find clothes that are cute and allow for free play.

• Like 4

It's just frustrating that the cute girls clothes are impossible for them to move in. I'd love cute, pink, flowery shorts with longer in seams, so she can go down a slide in summer without burning her thighs. Or cute toddler one piece rompers with no elastic to leave marks on her thighs. Or jeans with enough room to bend and sit, from the girl section. I want cute girly clothes for her. I WANT to express her gender through her clothes, not be forced to buy boys clothes in order for my daughter to move. But it's nearly impossible. Clothing manufacturers have decided that girls shouldn't play. They just stand and watch, I guess. It's a battle every year to find clothes that are cute and allow for free play.

Have you thought of contacting the clothing manufacturer with your input? I have a friend that did this with diversity issues and American Girl and it was well received and the company did follow through on some of her advice. They kept in contact with her for a few years, too. I’m not saying that would necessarily be the case with the clothing, just that if the manufacturers don’t see a problem, they will never fix it. I think your wording here is great - you want cute and functional. I particularly like the specific examples you have had, as well as the car seat problem from another poster. I also like the line about girls not being able to play, but just standing and watching. I think that people are becoming more aware of the ways women are sidelined in our culture and this would be a great time to point out these very practical issues with the clothing they are making. Just a thought, anyway.

• Like 3

The really short short thing for girls really is so impractical.

I think the reason is that it is the style at the moment for adult women as well - I tried to by shorts for my middle aged self recently and it was awful.  And I am not convinced the ones I see the high school and university girls in are very practical either, and IMO they go well beyond feminizing into sexualizing.  So I'm also not keen on that being transferred to my kids clothes.

• Like 1

I always collected neutral boy clothing for dd.  It was usually cut more comfortably and often cheaper.  It was also easier to find solid color clothing that did not have tacky prints or graphics.  But the biggest reason is being able to build a wardrobe with darker colors.  Not black or anything.  But reds, blues, grey, etc.... that hid stains better.  The whites, yellows, and pinks in the girly clothing was unlikely to make it out of dd's life without some sort of impossible-to-remove stain.  This was especially true of outerwear.  Light pink snow pants.....really?  I hate waste and I would rather purchase clothing I know we be reusable since dd was unlikely to be in any one size long enough for wear to be a factor.  It is easier to pass along or sell outgrown clothing when it can be worn by either gender too.  Dd lived in solid colored onesies with another solid color shorts/pants/overalls.  

Agreed.  IMO, *all* children's clothing should be dirt-brown.