Menu

Teen boys and hair.

lynn

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as society shows a bias towards short hair and away from long, I'm going to teach my boys to go for what leaves a good first impression.

I think these two billionaires would disagree! :tongue_smilie:

Steve%20Jobs%20and%20Steve%20Wozniak%20in%201975%20with%20a%20Blue%20Box.jpeg

I sort of agree with the shaved=violence. Reminds me of skinheads.

ouch.

However, I draw the line at buzz cuts. I think it makes boys and men look like a trashy bubba. That is not happening in this house.

Ouch.

I would disagree but then again, I like shaggy or long hair too. I should have known this would be such a hot topic on the boards. :rolleyes:

Unless a haircut is extreme, I don't even notice to judge them... I see cutie pies with long, short, and shaggy hair.

IMG_2496_2.jpg

I think men with long hair can be very handsome and manly too. It's all about personality and attitude. :)

jesus.jpg

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

Of course as society as shown a trend to shorter hair (or since getting older or making billions)...

180px-Steve_Jobs_WWDC07.jpg

and

225px-Stevewozniak.jpg

Even they have adopted the shorter hairstyles...

EXACTLY! So, they were not ruined by being "teen boy" with long hair!! I suspect as many of these teen boys grow up, they will cut their hair (obviously not all, but many for sure) and as a matter of fact some of the people who posted to this thread said their sons have already cut their hair shorter!

My dh had a shaggy cut as a teen and now has a buzz cut. Most of my facebook friends that had long hair in high school now have a short cut. Some men will choose to keep long or shaggy but as someone pointed out, most businessmen do not.

Our boys want long hair--at least much longer than dad prefers. We came up with a compromise between military "white wall" buzz cut over the ears and the European soccer shaggy cut. The boys must have hair out of eyes, preferably above eyebrows or brushed to side. Back of hair no longer than bottom of shirt collar. Nothing intrinsically wrong with long hair, but it goes against DH's wishes and we get the wrath of the in-laws when they see photos of boys sans the 1950's haircuts. LOL

Boys are happy to compromise in lieu of the alternative.

Ouch?? Come on now, I was just stating my view, not condemning anyone or picking a fight. It's the same as others saying long hair, to them, has negative connotations.

I'll admit that it hurt to read that a few people on here think my kid looks like a " trashy bubba" or has a "concentration camp hair cut". I'm human, and I said ouch. I'm sorry for not having thicker skin. I honestly have never heard someone say that about a kid with a buzz before! I don't think I've ever heard so much negative comments about boys with long hair either. I think your right it is the same as people saying negative things about boys with long hair. If my ds grows his hair and someone tells him he looks like a girl, he may say not say ouch but I bet his feelings might be hurt a little.

I am not saying you are not able to state your opinion without a fight, and I realize that sometimes someone elses opinion will hurt my feelings and I am already over it... but when I read those words, it did hurt so I said ouch. Now I know people feel that way, I will just let it go. )

If my son had long hair, which I happen to think is incredibly cute too, I would be hurt to think people think there must be something wrong with him or that he looks girly! Hair is a non issue for me, my ds or dd can wear their hair how they like and I will still think they are adorable. :)

BTW, I think grown men can pull off the long hair look, but I prefer men with short hair but I don't generally pay much attention unless the cut is drastic.

BTDT w/ my ds. And myself too when I was growing my bangs out. :001_smile:

I posted a link to my ds's photo earlier in this thread. This is what it's looked like for years now - the growing out time only took about 18 mos.

http://hmsindefatigable.blogspot.com/2008/05/hugo.html

While it was growing out, if he was just playing or doing his own thing, he could have his hair wherever he wanted. During our lessons, I pinned his hair up with bobby pins or one of my hair clips. He had to see what the heck he was doing. He also used gel to slick it back & gather up what he could in a pony tail. Slicking wet hair back with gel produces a good hold..... He wears it in a ponytail all the time now.

So yeah, I did insist hair off the face during lessons, otherwise, I don't care.

And I still find it odd that once again we have a comment that being called a girl would be 'hurtful'. I just don't. get. that. I mean if someone constantly forgot your gender, or your name, or made derogatory comments about your appearnce - well, yes, that would be hurtful. But just someone making a mistake about your gender & assuming you're another gender - why would that be hurtful? My ds is not at all fussed about it. Corrects people when he feels like it but often doesn't bother if it's just someone in a shop or bank etc that we'll never see again....

, what would you do if your son looked like that and he still refuses to get haircut?

And I still find it odd that once again we have a comment that being called a girl would be 'hurtful'. I just don't. get. that.

I see what you mean, it really shouldn't be hurtful but... I kind of relate it to an experience I had when I was a teenager, maybe about 14/15yo: I had a short haircut and was mistaken for a boy. I still remember sitting in a pizza place and these kids were laughing at me from another table wondering if I was a boy or girl. I don't know, I can't really explain how I felt but it did hurt my feelings and I remember being incredibly embarrassed and crying over it. There are worse things to be called than a boy or girl though and I really do see your point.

Lets be fair, how many of them are dressed that way because their lawyer or father said "Son get a haircut before you go in there and wear long sleves to cover those tats."

Further, as most kids still have fairly short hair and few tattoos one would expect the majority of offenders still to be conservatively dressed. As a percentage, however, I would still argue that the numbers still indicate that those with excessive tattoos and unconventional hair or piercings represent a disproportionate amount of offenders.

What numbers? Haven't read through all the posts yet so perhaps you have since given something other than your opinion on this? Anything to back it up?

I would guess they represent a disproportionate number of artists, poets, writers, barristas and tattoo artists but then again - I have nothing to back that up with either!

anyone who´s son has similar hair?

do you think this is still acceptable?

how about a competition who´s boy has the longest or shaggiest hair??:D

I'll try and get a pic of mine. His hair is down to the middle of his back--but he hates being photographed! :glare:

(I'll have to be sneaky. :D)

Don't mind as long as it's clean and combed?

Yes, this is our standard -- clean and combed/brushed. My dd14 has long shaggy hair (hasn't been cut for well over a year). He is still learning to appreciate good hygiene, so I do a lot of reminding ... but he is coming around on that.

IMO, hair grows and can be cut ... so whatever is done with it is by nature temporary. I'd rather he have the shaggy hair than something permanent (how d'ya like those lip piercings on the kids working at the burger joint?). Then there's the man at our church who has a tattoo that -- literally -- covers the entire left side of his face from the outer corner of the eye back to the hairline -- his hair is quite short, I guess to show off the tat ... fascinating, but not what I'd like to look at every day for the rest of my life LOL.

In a related vein, my dd12 is a nut about fingernail polish, etc. I let her do her thing with that.

And to complete with full disclosure: having long hair does not make a boy or man bad. My dh braided his hair to keep it looking neat ... for our wedding! He had long, frizzy, wiry, shaggy ... horrible ... hair. And he is the most loving, principled, smartest, funniest, honorable man on the planet. And ironically, he buzzes his hair now. :)

Karen

The thing I noticed is that when my son had long hair he copped the corresponding attitude. Done. Haircut. All better.

Not here - my ds doesn't have an attitude. He's an A-B Honor Roll student, runs cross country, plays varsity basketball, and is in general a good kid. He just happens (happened - he got a haircut) to have long hair. And piercings!

I have dreadlocks and, up until a month ago, my husband had dreadlocks that went past the middle of his back and my 5 year old had dreadlocks as well (he got them cut off, by choice, on his sixth birthday). So, no, I don't have a lot of hangups on how socially acceptable a person's hairstyle is.

My boys--and girl--can wear their hair however they want. If someone wants to give them a hard time about it that person can come and talk to me. It won't likely be pretty.

I do have a question though. When did this belief system evolve that children be allowed to make decisions about dress and appearance?

This belief has always been so in this household. My dh and I have both always been very much individualists and we haven't toed the lines that those around us would have liked. We don't ask our kids to, either.

As for reflecting upon our family, it's okay with me if it's obvious that we let our kids make a lot of decisions about things like hair and dress. If that reflects "badly" it is generally among people that we don't care to please anyway. Both of us are successful in our fields and stable in our lives--the approval of people because of our appearances is not really something that we strive for.

But I do have a motto: If you choose to look like a freak, you may not get offended when people treat you like a freak.

Huh. I think that people are always entitled to offense when others are rude. My children are expected to mind their manners no matter who it is they are speaking to. If they didn't I would hold *them* responsible, not the person they were rude to.

What kind of message is that, anyway?

I have 3 boys- my oldest has had a variety of hairstyles. When he became a teenager I let him decide on his hair. He usually has a buzz, but went through a long hair (not quite to the shoulders) look a couple of times. He did a "faux hawk" a couple years ago and this summer he had a mohawk which he finally shaved off about 3 weeks ago because now he wants to grow it long again. My 13 yo prefers the clean cut buzz and my 5 year old is buzzed too.

For more than a year?? do you have a picture of him?:001_smile:

And I totally agree! its only temporally and much better than a tattoo or piercing!

But what if he has bangs like curtains and cannot properly see anymore and still refuses to get at least a trim… would you still be so tolerate??

He needs to learn to pull them to one side and train them that way - that is what my ds did when his hair was long.