Menu

dairy free dessert for 20?

prairiewindmomma

I am hosting a pot luck family event tomorrow.  I am serving soup/bread/salad. I need a dessert for 20 people that is dairy free AND coconut free (ie coconut oil cannot be used in place of the dairy).

I have a limited kitchen--1 cookie sheet, 1 pizza pie plate, 1 9x13 pan.

I can run to Costco, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, or a local grocery store.  My budget is $20ish.  Bonus points if it's kid friendly.

Any ideas? I need to go shopping tonight. 

apple or berry crumble. Instead of butter, use vegan butter in the topping

brownies

Rote Gruetze (traditional German fruit desert - uses mixed berries, cornstarch and sugar)

you can substitute a non-dairy milk for milk in most recipes, except for ones that use the coagulating properties of milk

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

apple or berry crumble. Instead of butter, use vegan butter in the topping

brownies

Rote Gruetze (traditional German fruit desert - uses mixed berries, cornstarch and sugar)

you can substitute a non-dairy milk for milk in most recipes, except for ones that use the coagulating properties of milk

How do you know if the recipe uses the coagulating properties of milk?

These cookies are dairy free and good and easy to make without a mixer -- http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crackle-top-molasses-cookies-55351

I add more spice but the basic chemistry works. 

Flourless peanut butter cookies work too -- 1 egg, 1c peanut butter, 1c sugar (brown if you like), vanilla/cinnamon if you like, and I add 1/4t baking soda as well. 

This looks fantastic!  My family will love it!  

The peanut butter/chocolate chip cookies look wonderful, too!

It's a big hit everywhere I take it.  And it gets moister with time if you keep it covered. So you can definitely make it a day ahead. 

I buy the Comstock brand of pie filling that says "more fruit" on the can. It really has more apple in it than cheaper brands. I only add half of the filling at first so that all of the pieces of apple don't get destroyed by the blender. I add the second half with about 30-40 seconds left to blend and make sure there aren't any big pieces of apple left in the batter, just small chunks. 

• Like 2