Menu

s/o What do you *need* from a HS group?

From "Tell me how to start a HS group"

I'm looking to start a group for support, play, and occasional structured activities. (my children are 5, 3 and 2 mos.) We live in a somewhat rural area, and there don't seem to be many casual groups in the area, and most seem to cater to "Official" homeschoolers, which is age 8 and above here in PA. Also, most of the local groups are of a particular flavor of Christianity that I find myself uncomfortable around (I tend to be more liberal in my Christianity) I certainly do not want to exclude anyone, but hope to create a more tolerant atmosphere than I have so far found.

So, how did you/would you start a group?

I am also interested in hearing about this, though my DS is 14.

We live in an area where one HS group is "king" and it is unabashedly Christian (its literature makes a point of saying so, and at no point does it say it is inclusive). It also is only for mothers.

I would love to be in a group that welcomed all faiths/beliefs/lack there of, and HS fathers as well. Since there isn't one, it looks like I'm probably going to have to start it!

So I guess what I'm looking for is actual nuts and bolts ideas. How do people actually structure meetings. Do people prefer co-ops, classes, or activity days (field trips)? What do people actually *need* from a HS group?

asta

Hm. Guess I'll post in this thread too. :)

All I want from a homeschool group is opportunities for friendships for my children. If I make a friend, thats a plus. I personally want an informal, unstructured, flexible, play it by ear if we need to group that just exists for the kids to play and enjoy each others company.

I think a group would have to be a certain size to pull off co-ops or have any need for structured meetings.

As someone who has not participated in a group, this is what I'm looking for:

- Open to all faiths or at least respectful of all faiths

- group activities for children, does not have to be a 'class'

- does not interfere with our homeschool unless it's a special trip (I'm very protective of our time)

- offers parental support in the means of social get togethers or talks

- I'm not interested in classes at this point but if I were, I would want solid materials used not just something thrown together, I would have to implicitly trust the teacher.

- No pressure to serve the group if unable

- Reasonable fees for yearly membership

We belong to a homeschool group this year and are enjoying it. I have wrestled with the issue of it taking time from our school, but it seems to be the only solution for my kids to form bonds with other homeschool kids. What I want/need from a homeschool group:

- regular (weekly if possible) get togethers so the kids have that continuity of seeing each other frequently. (I think this helps them form friendships. If it's a once a month thing, it's so infrequent that doesn't seem to work very well)

- field trip opportunities to places that I wouldn't be able to schedule by myself

- "parties", yep I like having the tradition Christmas and Valentine day's parties that our homeschool group does

- Mom's night out socials (not a must-have, but they are nice)

- coop classes that are "icing on the cake" kind of things. I don't do coop classes that dictate what curriculum or topics we need to study (i.e. Classical Conversations) but the kids enjoy coop classes like cooking, P.E., Lego engineering, etc.

As someone who has not participated in a group, this is what I'm looking for:

- Open to all faiths or at least respectful of all faiths

- group activities for children, does not have to be a 'class'

- does not interfere with our homeschool unless it's a special trip (I'm very protective of our time)

- offers parental support in the means of social get togethers or talks

- I'm not interested in classes at this point but if I were, I would want solid materials used not just something thrown together, I would have to implicitly trust the teacher.

- No pressure to serve the group if unable

- Reasonable fees for yearly membership

:iagree:My needs for a group fall toward the social aspects of what such a group can provide.

The only statement of faith I'm willing to sign is one that says all faiths are welcome and must be respected.

Field trips are great learning experiences, but I'd want them limited to no more than once a month.

I would love to talk to other parents (both moms and dads) about the good and the bad of homeschooling. I'd love to have an "expert" come in and talk about their area of expertise in regards to homeschooling. That expertise could be curricula related, organizational strategies, any particular method of homeschooling, etc.

I'd be more open to group sports than classes, but classes on "extra" subjects would be what I want. Wood shop, home ec, art, auto maintainence, etc.

Right now with my schedule the only way I'd be able to serve a group would be as a chaperon for field trips or play dates. I'm sure there are lots of parents that just don't have the time to organize and teach another class. My time constraints may change in the future. So a group that doesn't require parents to be actively involved as teachers is what I'd want. I've got nothing against a requirement that says I'd have to stay on sight with dd. I don't want a drop-and-run group. That is too much like a babysitting service.

I'd like fees to be pay as you go. I don't mind chipping in for gas, event costs, supplies for my kid or even a small scholarship fund. But another fee on top of purchasing curriculum would be hared. If I'm involved in X activity I want to pay for X activity when it starts.

Edited by Parrothead

Homeschooling groups, in and of themselves, are not something I enjoy. Though I do enjoy having friends that homeschool.

Since we recently moved, we needed to meet people, especially my older kids. How did we make friends?

Well, there are several local yahoo email loops. We started going to the teen/tween coffees and B&N that were on their calendars that were inactive. We would post we were going and the ages of the kids that would be there. My kids met some of their closest friends there. (and this includes my younger ones......I took everybody and let them know that up front). Our attendance made it an active group again.

Another recent relocation mom started a mom's night out group. She posted it on the local email loops and started her own loop. We meet at restaurants 2x a month (one Tuesday and one Thursday). The rest of the families my kids hang around regularly are the families from that group.

I don't want support in homeschooling per se. Simply families that enjoy that lifestyle and the flexibility it creates.

Hm. Guess I'll post in this thread too. :)

All I want from a homeschool group is opportunities for friendships for my children. If I make a friend, thats a plus. I personally want an informal, unstructured, flexible, play it by ear if we need to group that just exists for the kids to play and enjoy each others company.

I think a group would have to be a certain size to pull off co-ops or have any need for structured meetings.

:iagree:

This is very much what I had in Florida, but am having a very hard time finding here. I do have a group that I was grandfathered in because my in-laws have been with the group for years. Their are several kids the same age as mine, but the problem is getting them together on any scheduled basis. We have tried to round up a few park days, but only a few show up. It seems as if most of them have a routine and aren't looking for anything else. This is my 10th year of homeschooling. It took me awhile to find a group in Florida. Probably about 4 years. Once I found a great group of people, it was like my kids had another family. My oldest graduated in 2006 and had a whole group of wonderful teen friends. I am so hoping to find that type of closeness here for my younger kids.

not just a "homeschool group."

I don't want co-ops or other classes (not all classes are actually co-ops, even though they're called that). I am capable of teaching my own dc at home, TYVM.

I want a monthly park day, which starts at noon, where we can all just come and hang out--no announcements, no organized activities, just a relaxing park day. And I only want it monthly, not weekly. I prefer that it be on Friday, at the same park, same time (noon), every month. I don't want to have to think about where it will be, or check my e-mail, or anything. I just want to pick up and go to the park. Park day is good for the dc, and it can be good for the parents. My first, best homeschooling friends were met at a park day.

A monthly Moms' Night Out is good. That way we adults can talk together about what has gone on during the month. I don't want scheduled topics. I don't want to meet at a restaurant or any other place that will cost anything. I just want to meet at someone's house and have a cup of coffee or tea and talk with my adult friends.

One or two field trips a month is a good thing, but I don't want to be beaten over the head about organizing them. It should be either a committee that plans, or it should be left to the group: if someone plans one, kewl; if not, kewl. No pressure. And I prefer that the field trips be on the same day of the week, preferably a Friday.

I'd like there to be a few family things a year, such as a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, maybe something in the spring such as a family picnic.

It doesn't matter to me whether it's a Christian (or other faith-based) group or a secular group (by definition, if it isn't religious it's secular), but if it's a Christian group, the group name needs to include "Christian" in it, so that inquirers will know right away that it's Christian. I won't join a Christian group that requires its members to sign a statement of faith, even though I would most likely agree with it. Leaders, yes; members, no. I also won't join a group which limits how many members can be in it.

FTR, I won't use "inclusive" when describing a secular group, because many Christian groups welcome non-Christians and so are "inclusive." If you are not already part of the homeschool community, "inclusive" has no meaning; "secular" or "Christian" (or other faith based) does. IOW, "secular" is not a bad word; it's just an adjective.

What I would want is probably very different from what a new homeschooler would want, if that makes sense. I've been homeschooling for 13 years, so I'm looking for companionship from other moms and events where my kids can just .. hang out.

So I have no interest in co-ops, although my boys do take art classes in our local homeschool co-op, simply because they're taught by a professional artist and I draw stick figures. :D

We don't do field trips either, unless it's something really special or extraordinary (for instance, our homeschool group was able to organize a field trip to the FBI Academy, which isn't open to the public. That sort of opportunity is what I would be looking for as far as field trips go. If we can just go somewhere as a family, we prefer to do that.)

The group I belonged to when we lived in Maryland had a Mom's Night Out, which was awesome!!! Once a month, the moms (and we had a few dads, too!) would get together at a local restaurant and eat appetizers and desserts and just talk. We tried to meet some place that wasn't crowded, so we didn't feel that we were rushed, and where the food was relatively inexpensive, so that all moms (and dads) could come and enjoy the evening without spending a fortune. We often wound up at Denny's because they're always open and you could have an entire meal with endless cups of coffee for under $10.

I would want a group that is open to all homeschoolers, no matter their religion or lack thereof, but that's what *I* would be looking for. I wouldn't join a homeschool group with a statement of faith or anything of that nature...and never have.

Ellie, your message was informative and helpful. I want to point out, though, that you spelled "kewl" instead of "cool". I wanted to make sure that you know that so that no one is distracted from your fabulous messages in the future.

I always write "kewl.":D

We belong to a homechool group that exactly meets our needs. It has been a long time in coming but our area finally is growing in the number of hs families, therefore we are able to actually have a group.

All I really want for my kids and myself is opportunities for socializing. I am not interested in Co-ops. We have field trips usually once a month(although this year some of the moms have been over-eager and have sceduled 2 or 3 field trips in a month. We live in the country so this is too much for us.)

This year we were able to have swimming lessons just for hs'ers. This was really nice. While the kids were swimming, us moms were able to visit. I really liked that. We also are starting to have some Moms Night Out meetings.

Also, our group is open to all faiths and that has been very nice. Faith has not been an issue for our group.

my ideal homeschool group would be:

1. inclusive of all faiths/beliefs

2. offer plenty of informal, relaxed get-togethers

3. offer plenty of opportunity for my children to form friendships with other HSers, and for me to network with other HS parents

4. co-op classes and formal field trips are not necessary

Our local group is pretty perfect. No fees, weekly park days, monthly moms night out ( which I have yet to make it to), announcement of classes and field trips. If any given person organizes a field trip or finds a class, they spread the word, but there are no commitees or expectations for the group to produce activities. Example- there is a hs PE class that many of the members are part of, but it is not run by the group. It's run by several parents who took it upon themselves to start it and class openings are announced on the e-loop. It's kind of like small government.

ETA- we were part of a different group in Florida, that had membership fees, parties, commitees, co-ops, the whole nine. That group was a lot less friendly and I think it was because all of the moms were stretched so thin. There was this great expectation to contribute and participate. It was just way too much.

Edited by Shannon831

I use it to find like-minded friends for me and my kids. We do park days and some field trips. We have all religions in our hs group. There are youth groups for different ages as well. So for us it's a social outlet and has worked marvelously except when we had a controlling president for a while. There are many activities we don't participate in because we just don't have the time to do everything.

I need the companionship of other moms, who are not necessarily like-minded in all areas but with whom I can find common ground. I need friendships for my children. I would like activities, but not necessarily super-structured stuff. I like having a mix of experienced moms and newbies so that I can learn from the experienced ones, but also pass on what I have learned to new moms still finding their way.

I belong to an inclusive group where I have found soul-mates of the sister-kind. We don't all share the same faith, but we share a commitment to our children and a commitment to building eachother up. Our group is a split off from a state-wide inclusive group, but we follow many of the same principles. http://www.illinoishouse.org

Good point! Not like-minded in everything is exactly what I meant below. Like-minded for me is that we have some things in common, we like our kids, and can handle whatever differences we DO have. I have friends/acquaintances from many walks of life. Thanks for bringing that up. :001_smile:

We were involved in a homeschool support group for some seven years, and I was on the board of that group for about five years. I enjoyed the moms' meetings and there were a few field trips here and there, but frankly it never really was what I had hoped for. We had more heartfelt fellowship with our church than we did there, and my kids never really made close friends. There was a major division among the board, and I chose to leave at that point because a new statement of faith was adopted after the restructuring that I could not agree to.

Now we're involved in an educational co-op and go on one field trip a month with a very large group that provides primarily field trips all over our metropolitan area and beyond. And we're fine with that. I really don't need a support group at this point, and don't have time for a monthly support group meeting and informal socializing. I need someone else to run the co-op (I don't mind teaching though) and someone else to organize the field trips (because I'm not terribly inspired that way). So our groups meet my needs.

What I would want is probably very different from what a new homeschooler would want, if that makes sense. I've been homeschooling for 13 years, so I'm looking for companionship from other moms and events where my kids can just .. hang out.

So I have no interest in co-ops, although my boys do take art classes in our local homeschool co-op, simply because they're taught by a professional artist and I draw stick figures. :D

We don't do field trips either, unless it's something really special or extraordinary (for instance, our homeschool group was able to organize a field trip to the FBI Academy, which isn't open to the public. That sort of opportunity is what I would be looking for as far as field trips go. If we can just go somewhere as a family, we prefer to do that.)

The group I belonged to when we lived in Maryland had a Mom's Night Out, which was awesome!!! Once a month, the moms (and we had a few dads, too!) would get together at a local restaurant and eat appetizers and desserts and just talk. We tried to meet some place that wasn't crowded, so we didn't feel that we were rushed, and where the food was relatively inexpensive, so that all moms (and dads) could come and enjoy the evening without spending a fortune. We often wound up at Denny's because they're always open and you could have an entire meal with endless cups of coffee for under $10.

I would want a group that is open to all homeschoolers, no matter their religion or lack thereof, but that's what *I* would be looking for. I wouldn't join a homeschool group with a statement of faith or anything of that nature...and never have.

:iagree: I'm new at homeschooling, and this is what I'm looking for as well.