Menu

Safe dog chew treats

Night Elf

I bought my dog a chew treat that was a flavored stick. It wasn't a store like those big box stores but I think it is a chain, Rucker Pets. I get my favorite dog food there that I can only usually get at stores like feed stores. The employee there helped me pick it out when I told her I needed something safe. This chew had no hide in it but as my dog was chewing it, it still reminded me of what a chewed rawhide bone looked like. He seems to have swallowed it well so at least it didn't get stuck in his mouth. I'd like to give him such a treat more often than once a year but I don't know what's safe. My groomer sells treats that are made locally and is just basically dried meat. He loves the chicken pieces but it's a small flat treat that he just swallows with barely chewing. I want something substantial for him to chew on that tastes good and is safe for him to swallow. Any ideas?

I doubt any of the chew things for dogs can truly be called safe because someone's dog will almost always have had a bad experience. Plus quite a lot depends on the individual dog's chewing/swallowing habits. So IMO it's pretty much a matter of picking what you're most comfortable with. I like Himalayan chews, bully sticks and most of the made-in-the-USA stuff from this site and sterilized, hollow bones stuffed with cheese. But those recommendations are based on the chewing styles of the majority of dogs I've owned or fostered.

• Like 4

I have bully sticks (but these really vary in stores so you have to shop carefully- some are just thin tendon).  Did you get a bully stick, aka pizzle? They're supposed to be bull penises but often aren't. I don't know what brand I got this week but ours is amazingly disgustingly smelly - Darwin thinks it's the best thing ever. He's passed out from exhaustion and there's still tons of it left but he's keeping it right under his foot. Last time he went outside to pee I tried to bag it & shove it in his fridge drawer for later so he could take a break but he was frantically looking for it when he came back so I let him have it again  :laugh:

Sweet Potato fries - there are recipes online but there's a local supplier here that sells them. They're large and hard and look vaguely like an antler but they're softer. 

Whizee's - my dog likes the large alligator and the sticks  - eta darn I cant spell but i got the link right & i'm not messing with it. It's whiMzee's

kongs stuffed & frozen 

raw bones appropriately sized 

My dogs get big chews at least weekly...

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 2

Bully Sticks here, too, but man do they smell terrible.  I can't let them chew them indoors anymore - the smell is too much for me.  

Other than that, we do the strong kongs stuffed with various items - we will sometimes do kibble, then pour in broth and freeze.  It's messy but yummy, apparently.  Leftovers that we deem okay for dogs can go in kongs, and low sodium canned green beans make a good filler, according to one pup.  Rice might work, too.  We just sort of do a mish mash of stuff.  

I used to get the bones they sell at the store, the ones stuffed with something - but our power chewer would crack off bits and they didn't feel safe for him.  He's no longer with us, though, and our current dogs might be okay with those now.  

Nylabone isn't beloved here, I have no idea why.

Bully Sticks here, too, but man do they smell terrible.  I can't let them chew them indoors anymore - the smell is too much for me.  

This site (the same one I linked to earlier) has odor free, made in the USA bully sticks. Those are the only ones I'll buy. I don't know that I'd say they're totally odor free, but they sure don't have anything near a strong or objectionable odor to me.

• Like 2

His daily treat is one of those bones that come with the meat mixture stuffed inside. He ate it out and now I smear peanut butter in there and freeze it. But what I really wanted was something he could chew. He can't chew the bones. He used to love his stuffed animals but for some reason has stopped playing with them. Yesterday he got a hold of the cat's catnip toy that's round and fabric and was going to town on it. I had to take it away from him. 

My dogs prefer antlers. We find them while hiking and they last them forever. I see them for sale at pet stores all the time too. They chew and chew and no pieces have ever broken off, they just slowly wear them down.

Antlers last about 2 days here. And we have discovered that they do break into pieces. The talents of a heavy chewer.

Antlers last about 2 days here. And we have discovered that they do break into pieces. The talents of a heavy chewer.

Our dogs are heavy chewers, a kong lasts seconds, but the antlers last forever. I wonder if it is because we find ours in the woods and they have been cured in some way because of that to be harder.

We do bully sticks and pig ears.  Pig ears are gone in seconds, though.

Kongs stuffed with moistened kibble with a few pieces of cheese or turkey, and maybe some peanut butter at the end are great too.

My daughter makes frozen greek yogurt (plain), banana, peanut butter pops for our puppy, and she loves them.  Just blend and freeze in an ice cube tray.

How are people getting the kongs to last? We've tried them a bunch of times, both the red ones and the ultra tough black ones, and they are always destroyed in minutes..literally in a few minutes they are broken in at least 2 pieces then chewed totally up from there. Do My dogs have abnormally strong jaws or is this a problem for others too?

How are people getting the kongs to last? We've tried them a bunch of times, both the red ones and the ultra tough black ones, and they are always destroyed in minutes..literally in a few minutes they are broken in at least 2 pieces then chewed totally up from there. Do My dogs have abnormally strong jaws or is this a problem for others too?

I have no idea either.  I got the black one made for chewers and it was in tiny pieces with 24 hours.  

He used to love his stuffed animals but for some reason has stopped playing with them.

My animals, including my dogs, have a high desire for novelty. They'll play with one toy all the time, and carry it around... but then a week or two later they're bored with it and they want a new toy. Have you tried rotating the toys like you would with a toddler?

Ok, in looking at the site mentioned here, I bought my dog an odor free bully stick for Christmas. The lady was talking about it being odor free but I didn't understand what she was talking about so I went ahead and bought it because she was recommending it. So it's safe? I bought a small one since my dachshund is small and he chewed and swallowed it in one sitting. That's the treat I mentioned in the OP that looked like a raw hide as it was being chewed. As he was chewing it, it turned white and slimy and he tore it apart and swallowed it. Those are safe? How often can I give that to him?

Ok, in looking at the site mentioned here, I bought my dog an odor free bully stick for Christmas. The lady was talking about it being odor free but I didn't understand what she was talking about so I went ahead and bought it because she was recommending it. So it's safe? I bought a small one since my dachshund is small and he chewed and swallowed it in one sitting. That's the treat I mentioned in the OP that looked like a raw hide as it was being chewed. As he was chewing it, it turned white and slimy and he tore it apart and swallowed it. Those are safe? How often can I give that to him?

Yes, bully sticks are generally considered safe. They bull . . . ummmm . ..  boy parts (not sure how to put the word in with proper asterisks ;)).

I generally size up when buying, but I don't know that it's absolutely necessary.

I don't think one a day would be harmful as long as it doesn't seem to upset his tummy. But they're fairly spendy so most people won't give them that often, I don't think.

They're flesh and yeah, they turn white and slimy.  I usually try to take away the last bit (how big the bit is depends on the size of a dog) but my Daisy was notorious for swallowing it when she got close to a certain size.  Never had any problems with that so really, it's just a bit of paranoia on my part. I think they get soft in the gut and it's not a thing that would cause problems for most dogs. 

A friend of mine sometimes gets big bulk bags on super wholesale deals and splits with several of us.  When I was getting them cheap, my guys would have one a day.... 

Antlers are the best thing I've found for my two dogs. They last forever and the dogs love them. I haven't had any splinter or break, like OrganicJen, they just slowly wear down. I ordered some to go in the dogs' stocking this year, but they didn't come in time. They're supposed to arrive today.

On a side note, I actually think one of my dogs was expecting something on Christmas! I started the dogs' stocking to have a toy or chew treat to keep them occupied over Christmas Day and out from under foot. We've done it every year. He's a smart dog, so maybe he really did catch on to that! 

I’m not sure. After I tired of spending $25plus for an antler, I found one on our property. She was able to bite chips off of it just a few days later. Maybe it depends on antler age and conditions.

And while our dog can eat these treats too quickly, she doesn’t have the same need to destroy her stuffed toys. There have been a few that she gnaws off an ear or paw, but I repair it and then she’s good to go. Her toy basket is overflowing,but I don’t have the heart to put any away like I did when she was younger.

That's interesting.  I think the antlers my dogs find might be mule deer, and I'm fairly certain they are always old, so maybe they naturally harden over time being out in the elements, or maybe it's just the opposite and they are fresher or something, who knows.  I can't believe they charge that much for antlers in the pet stores...I wonder if they get them like we do where they were naturally shed, or if they buy them from hunters or something and if that makes any difference in the density if they are naturally shed or whatever.  We literally have never seen a single piece of ours break or chip off, they just sort of very gradually get worn down over years.