Menu

Teen boy khakis

MEmama

My teen has expressed an interest in branching out from his usual leggings and sweatpants to a pair of "formal" khakis (formal in this case meaning they are not athletic wear; he also considers his single flannel shirt to be formal because it actually has buttons).

He needs a 26x34. I can find 28x34 everywhere, but the only 26 inch waist pants I can find are much too short in the legs. He's 5'8 and 110 pounds, not skinny just really athletic and slim.

Has anyone had luck finding this size?

Have you tried Lands End?

I just di per your suggestion. Men's start at 28, kids look way too baggy and have the same sizing issue I see everywhere-if it's big enough in the waist, it's too short in the legs.

There must be a company that caters to slim teens; his measurements can't be that unusual for 14.

I just di per your suggestion. Men's start at 28, kids look way too baggy and have the same sizing issue I see everywhere-if it's big enough in the waist, it's too short in the legs.

There must be a company that caters to slim teens; his measurements can't be that unusual for 14.

Ugh!

I’ll hunt around, too. My DS is similar to yours, it sounds, so we will soon be in the same boat with you.

• Like 1

I remember thinking the same thing when ds was a young teen. Boys' stuff was too small. Men's stuff was too big. It was really annoying! On the other hand, it didn't last very long because he shot up and filled out. Stretchy shorts seemed like a good bet at the time, but that doesn't work so well in the winter!

• Like 1

How close are the 28s to fitting and has he had a big growth spurt yet? I might just go for the 28 and a belt. He'd probably grow into them pretty soon.

Not close. :)

We've tried a belt but there is so much extra material that bunches up it just doesn't work. Good idea though!

He hasn't had a major growth spurt in awhile, though he keeps slowly growing up--just not out. :)

Okay, ds14 is a 29x35, so I feel your pain.

American Eagle Outfitters has stretch chinos in skinny to classic fit options, multiple colours, and carries size 28x24:

https://www.ae.com/men-aeo-extreme-flex-skinny-chino-dark-blue/web/s-prod/0126_3689_451?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat6150144

If these don't work, there are several other options; I just didn't want to post too many links.

Edited by trulycrabby

American Eagle Outfitters has stretch chinos in skinny to classic fit options, multiple colours, and carries size 28x24:

https://www.ae.com/men-aeo-extreme-flex-skinny-chino-dark-blue/web/s-prod/0126_3689_451?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat6150144

If these don't work, there are several other options; I just didn't want to post too many links.

These are the exact pants that caused him to be open to khakis. :)

Unfortunately to get a 34 inch inseam the waist has to be 28. He's tried them on and they just about fell off. Lol.

I'm thinking he might just have to wait awhile (as long as doesn't get taller!).

• Like 1

He's got some long legs! My son is almost the exact measurements but he can wear 26's in the regular inseam which I'm guessing is 30 or 32 and I thought he had long legs! He does belt them pretty good but they work so far. He finds them at American Eagle or Abercrombie. Abercrombie has some that they call Super Skinny, that don't look like that on him, but work. But I checked their website and it looks like 34 long doesn't come into play until a 28 inch waist there either. 

• Like 1

He's got some long legs! My son is almost the exact measurements but he can wear 26's in the regular inseam which I'm guessing is 30 or 32 and I thought he had long legs! He does belt them pretty good but they work so far. He finds them at American Eagle or Abercrombie. Abercrombie has some that they call Super Skinny, that don't look like that on him, but work. But I checked their website and it looks like 34 long doesn't come into play until a 28 inch waist there either.

I've tried there too. I figured since shops like American Eagle and Abercrombie are specifically geared toward teenagers I'd have luck there, but nope. This issue comes up often enough on the board it must be a super common problem. I'm surprised more teen centered companies haven't figured it out. ??

My kid is 6'3" and has a 34 inseam. 6'1" DH is a 32 and 6'1" 22 year old is also a 32.

That must be a super lanky kid!!

JCPenney usually carries outlier sizes. XH is very tall and we bought his jeans from them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How are you measuring to get a 34? Has tried on pants with a 34 inseam? That actually a really unusual size.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've had luck at Gap with "kids of unusual size" but it sometimes means playing with size numbers ... like going a size down and making it husky in order to get the correct length. I don't know why or how that works, but it's worked for us. 

Get taller boots.  :lol: Usher in a new style, bring back the regency era fashion for men? Sorry!

• Like 1

Seconding this suggestion. My ds isn't as tall, but we've found 28/30s there.

• Like 1

These khakis from JCPenney come in 26 x 34.   They also carry 26" waist chino shorts for warmer weather.

You may also want to try some "slim fit" style pants with a 28" waist.   My DS had a 26" waist for a long time (until just a couple months ago), but he could wear some slim fit pants with a 28" waist - unfortunately, that requires shopping and trying a bunch of pants, which I realize is torture for teen boys.

• Like 2