Menu

Hive Chefs, I need a veggie dish that will stand up to some travel

ILiveInFlipFlops

Roasted root vegetables and/or roasted squash was my first thought as well.

Alternatively, simple steamed vegetables with a squeeze of lemon always complement any meal.

Or you can mash just about anything. My girls love peas mashed with spinach and a bit of mint or dill, and they tolerate my mashed carrots with ginger and cumin. Personally, I'm a fan of mashed sweet potato with nutmeg, or mashed parsnip and rutabaga with caramelized onions on top, or mashed turnips with scallions, parsley, sour cream, and horseradish. This year I'm trying mashed cauliflower and white beans for the older kid's high school potluck.

Edited by Tanaqui

Ditto the root veggies roasted

Any veggie casserole--sweet potato, green bean, scalloped corn, etc.

Veggie soup

Any salad (may want the dressing on the side until you get there)

Sweet and sour style relish tray (if it's not a part of the relish tray you mentioned)--cucumber pickles, olives, other veggies pickled, etc. 

Grated beets.

Wash beets, trim the roots and stem but leave unpeeled. Place in dish lined with foil, cover with foil and roast about an hour - until a paring knife goes in fairly easily. 

Cool, peel, grate (I use the food processor). Per 4 biggish beets add about 1-2 Tbsp red wine vinegar and/or lemon juice, ~0.5 teaspon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, stir and reheat in a heavy bottomed pan. Serve right away or cool & keep in fridge for up to 3 days. 

Once cold these take a while to reheat but once they're hot, they stay hot for ages, esp if you use a nice thick casserole dish or le creuset. I've reheated, wrapped in a thick towel and blanket, shoved in car and had them still be too hot to touch an hour later. (reheat on low in heavy pan or in microwave)

And I've never managed to bring any home. These always get all eaten up whenever I take them anywhere...

Stuffed roasted mushrooms are my other go to.

• Like 1