Menu

Help me come up with some movie examples of realistic contemporary fiction

Daria

I teach high schoolers with significant disabilities, and was trying to explain to my students the other day the difference between true stories, realistic fiction, fantasy, and myth, and really struggled to come up with examples of realistic fiction.  I often use movies and TV as examples of concepts, before we start applying those concepts to our reading

I had several "peer tutors" (general ed students) in the room, and they weren't any better than I was at thinking of modern examples.  Of course, I could think of things like Law and Order, but many of my students' parents aren't letting them watch things like that.  

The examples that the kids came up with that were closest were all musical -- West Side Story, Sound of Music, Glee, and High School Musical.  

Can anyone think of any family friendly movies or TV shows that kids might be familiar with that would be considered realistic fiction, and don't have people breaking into song at random moments?

The Fault in our Stars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd watch content or have options so that people can choose to avoid certain content. Fault in our Stars was assigned summer reading a few years back. My friend's dh died of cancer a few days before summer vacation. Her DS was not permitted to choose another book.

Queen of Katwe (2016)

MCFarland USA (2015)

Selma (2014)

Unbroken (2014)

The Way Back (2013)

Mud (2013)

Soul Surfer (2011)

The Help (2011)

Moneyball (2011)

The Karate Kid (2010)

Invictus (2009)

The Blind Side (2009)

Akeelah and the Bee (2006)

Edited by Lori D.

Any sitcom would probably fit, wouldn't it? The Middle, The Goldbergs, Blackish, Full House, Brady Bunch, etc.

Yes, but I'm not looking to show them a movie or a TV show, other than maybe a clip or two.  I'm looking to reference something they've already seen.  I'm not sure what kids are watching, but I've never heard them mention any of those shows. 

I realized later that one show I've heard a bunch of kids reference is Switched at Birth.  Maybe I'll try that.  

I hear a lot about things I'd consider fantasy -- Disney movies, Harry Potter, Wizards of Waverly Place, and a lot about things that have a major musical element -- Hannah Montana, Victorious, Big Time Rush. 

I should note that I tried to enlist the nondisabled students who work in my room, and they were no help.  One of them suggested the emoji movie because "emojis are real".  Ummmm, no.  Another was like "any Pixar movie". ?????

Yes, but I'm not looking to show them a movie or a TV show, other than maybe a clip or two.  I'm looking to reference something they've already seen.  I'm not sure what kids are watching, but I've never heard them mention any of those shows. 

I realized later that one show I've heard a bunch of kids reference is Switched at Birth.  Maybe I'll try that.  

I hear a lot about things I'd consider fantasy -- Disney movies, Harry Potter, Wizards of Waverly Place, and a lot about things that have a major musical element -- Hannah Montana, Victorious, Big Time Rush. 

I should note that I tried to enlist the nondisabled students who work in my room, and they were no help.  One of them suggested the emoji movie because "emojis are real".  Ummmm, no.  Another was like "any Pixar movie". ?????

Switched at Birth is essentially a teen soap opera, but I guess it might fall closer to realistic fiction than Harry Potter or Hannah Montana.

Friends (sort of)? The Office?

Edited by KathyBC