Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW45: 52 Books Mini Challenge - Finance

Robin M

This is literally the first movie I'm excited about seeing in the theater since they did a 30 year anniversary of Ghostbusters. I think DD and I are going to see it this weekend. Maybe .. just maybe ... we might get a babysitter and take DH with us.

I think the part I'll have the hardest time with is the fact that nobody can be Poirot in my mind except David Suchet. We'll have to see if I can get over that or not.

So there's a bit of subtle off color language. It's not really intended to be off color it's just funny because the Brits have funny names for food.

:smilielol5:

• Like 4

In going over my BigBingos left for the year, it looks like if I read a Murakami for Topaz, I'll only have two squares left in that Bingo row, and one of them is Silk Road, which Mongol Queens could check. So, I'm thinking of moving that book to that square, and finding a different book for the "Queen in the Title" square, as I think that's an easier category to fill. Any suggestions that are not either a tome or a steamy romance? Things like Phillipa Gregory, which appear to be both, are right out. ;)

Another row I might have more hope of completing that I thought has the square "Classical composer or musician" - any thoughts on that one? Too bad I can't use that humongous Liszt biography I read for that, but that was a couple of years back now, so need something new! Something engaging and not too overly long.

And the another square in that row is "Dr Seuss Compilation" ?! Does such a thing exist? What is it called and how may I find it? Should I just read a few Seusses from my shelf? I also have his only (as far as I know) book for adults, The Seven Lady Godivas, but that's not a compilation... ;)

The Beet Queen by Louise Erdrich?
  • Like 4

I was actually looking at that one. Have you read it, and if so, did you like it? I read The Round House by Erdich earlier this year, and reading more of her work is on my to-do list. :)

I read it in the 1980s. I think I liked it lol. But I was recently disappointed with The Antelope Wife. Apparently, she rewrote the Antelope Wife. It needed it:)
  • Like 5

I just finished a book that I think some here might also enjoy; I've been dipping into it over the course of the last month.  I think too that my daughter as a teen would have enjoyed it.  It is an interesting combination of history and art, and it introduced me to some women I'd not known.

Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color  by Chandler O'Leary and Jessica Spring

"A national bestseller, this gorgeously illustrated letterpress-inspired book combines feminist history with a vision for a better future. Dead Feminists is a lushly illustrated and inclusive celebration of inspiring women who transformed the world and created social change.

Based on the beloved letterpress poster series of the same name, Dead Feminists interweaves intricate broadside art with archival photographs and ephemera. This book brings feminist history to life, profiling 27 unforgettable forebears of the modern women’s movement such as Eleanor Roosevelt, Gwendolyn Brooks, Rachel Carson, and more. Across eras and industries, passions and geographies, this collection of diverse, progressive, and perseverant women faced what looked like insurmountable odds and yet, still, they persisted.

Dead Feminists, which features a foreword by Jill Lepore, author of The Secret History of Wonder Woman, is an illuminating and innovative reminder that women can be extraordinary agents of change. The future is female, but in many ways so is the past. Dead Feminists takes feminist inspiration to a new level of artistry and shows how ordinary and extraordinary women have made a difference throughout history (and how you can too).

Featured Feminists:

Adina De Zavala
Alice Paul
Annie Oakley
Babe Zaharias
Eleanor Roosevelt
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Elizabeth Zimmerman
Emma Goldman
Fatima al-Fihri
Gwendolyn Brooks
Harriet Tubman
Imogen Cunningham
Jane Mecom
Marie Curie
Queen Lili’uokalani
Rachel Carson
Rywka Lipszyc
Sadako Sasaki
Sappho
Sarojini Naidu
Shirley Chisholm
Thea Foss
Virginia Woolf
Washington State Suffragists"

I also read with pleasure the contemporary romance Over the Fence  by Melanie Moreland.  This was somewhat out of the ordinary in that all but one chapter were from the point of view of the hero.  (Adult content)

"Two neighbors—strangers—with one thing in common—they share a fence.
But is that the only thing they share?
Nathan Fraser lives a solitary life, never letting anyone get too close. It’s safer that way.
Kourtney Whyte hides from the world and behind her work, too afraid to really live her life to the fullest. Rejection is what she knows best.
But one night, the sound of her soft voice and the tantalizing aroma of her evening meal, prove too enticing for Nathan to ignore.
So begins their unconventional relationship—talking, learning, texting, and gradually opening up to one another, all over the fence.
That is, until the day Nathan braves the high fence to protect Kourtney from her past, and changes everything forever.
Can they move forward together, without the buffer of the fence?
Or will their pasts prove to be too much of a barrier?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

I just finished a book that I think some here might also enjoy; I've been dipping into it over the course of the last month.  I think too that my daughter as a teen would have enjoyed it.  It is an interesting combination of history and art, and it introduced me to some women I'd not known.

Dead Feminists: Historic Heroines in Living Color  by Chandler O'Leary and Jessica Spring

"A national bestseller, this gorgeously illustrated letterpress-inspired book combines feminist history with a vision for a better future. Dead Feminists is a lushly illustrated and inclusive celebration of inspiring women who transformed the world and created social change.

Based on the beloved letterpress poster series of the same name, Dead Feminists interweaves intricate broadside art with archival photographs and ephemera. This book brings feminist history to life, profiling 27 unforgettable forebears of the modern women’s movement such as Eleanor Roosevelt, Gwendolyn Brooks, Rachel Carson, and more. Across eras and industries, passions and geographies, this collection of diverse, progressive, and perseverant women faced what looked like insurmountable odds and yet, still, they persisted.

Dead Feminists, which features a foreword by Jill Lepore, author of The Secret History of Wonder Woman, is an illuminating and innovative reminder that women can be extraordinary agents of change. The future is female, but in many ways so is the past. Dead Feminists takes feminist inspiration to a new level of artistry and shows how ordinary and extraordinary women have made a difference throughout history (and how you can too).

The list of feminists was interesting. I wouldn't have listed Annie Oakley as one off the top of my head but now that I think about it, she really was one. 

• Like 8

Featured Feminists:

Adina De Zavala

Alice Paul

Annie Oakley

Babe Zaharias

Eleanor Roosevelt

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Elizabeth Zimmerman

Emma Goldman

Fatima al-Fihri

Gwendolyn Brooks

Harriet Tubman

Imogen Cunningham

Jane Mecom

Marie Curie

Queen Lili’uokalani

Rachel Carson

Rywka Lipszyc

Sadako Sasaki

Sappho

Sarojini Naidu

Shirley Chisholm

Thea Foss

Virginia Woolf

Washington State Suffragists"

Regards,

Kareni

Elizabeth Zimmerman is my knitting hero! It's great to see her included on this list.

My rather small Goodreads experiment worked! By entering the county in my notes box I can sort alphabetically by county. Yes! I can see lots of future applications for this discovery.

I finished Blood Trail by Tanya Huff. It is a reread from 18 years ago that I spent a whole bunch of time hunting for. Not nearly as good as I remembered. I think I am done with the series for now. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/338122.Blood_Trail

• Like 9

Elizabeth Zimmerman is my knitting hero! It's great to see her included on this list.

I got angry with her years ago when I tried to learn to knit and read her book. Her suggestion for left handed people was just to learn continental and that really annoys me. That is NOT left handed knitting. If I were to tell a right handed person that if they work the left needle and just hold the yarn in their right hand that they're knitting right handed, I'm pretty sure they'd disagree with me. 

Anyway, I know a lot of knitters who swear by her and she did help many learn to knit, but I still take issue with her suggestions to lefties. I also take issue with the Handwriting Without Tears author for her suggestions that lefties should cross letters like a righty (I used that program for ds, who is right handed, and it worked well for him. If he was a lefty I would have told him to ignore that suggestion.)

/End of bitter left hander rant. Back to your regularly scheduled book discussions. :)

• Like 10

I got angry with her years ago when I tried to learn to knit and read her book. Her suggestion for left handed people was just to learn continental and that really annoys me. That is NOT left handed knitting. If I were to tell a right handed person that if they work the left needle and just hold the yarn in their right hand that they're knitting right handed, I'm pretty sure they'd disagree with me. 

Anyway, I know a lot of knitters who swear by her and she did help many learn to knit, but I still take issue with her suggestions to lefties. I also take issue with the Handwriting Without Tears author for her suggestions that lefties should cross letters like a righty (I used that program for ds, who is right handed, and it worked well for him. If he was a lefty I would have told him to ignore that suggestion.)

/End of bitter left hander rant. Back to your regularly scheduled book discussions. :)

I hate to take a well deserved rant in an off-topic discussion but John (Chews) wants to know what your dog's name is. The one in your avatar.

Some of my favorite people are lefties (DH and my beloved grandmother) and I think the handwriting thing is really fascinating. My grandmother had legible handwriting but that was about as good a compliment that I could give her writing. My DH has beautiful neat handwriting. She wrote at what I considered to be a strange angle because that's what she was taught and in her day it was discouraged to write with your left hand. :confused1:  Interesting that there are still people out there (HWOT) that are still trying to get lefties to do a right handed writing style.

• Like 7

I was actually looking at that one.  Have you read it, and if so, did you like it?  I read The Round House by Erdich earlier this year, and reading more of her work is on my to-do list. :)

I just stumbled across a queen book suggestion for you.

Queen Lucia by EF Benson.

It looks like mom-ninja has read it and didn't love it but many of my IRL friends adored it.

• Like 5

LOL, see, my argument is that all people should learn continental knitting (which uses both hands fairly equally and so does not favor one hand over the other) and the other sort is an abomination of the worst order. ;) :lol: /jk

I am a righty who was taught continental style by a lefty.  Who apparently taught me to cast on lefty but never told me.  I think I'd taught over 50 people how to knit - and cast on lefty - before I realized I did it backwards from the way all the books said.  Though none of the mostly righties had a problem learning the lefty casting, so no harm done I guess...

I learned to knit in German and still can't be bothered to learn to read the (to me) weird way English patterns are written... (most other languages use charts and symbols, not that stuff with rows of asterisks and such where I have to count and can't easily see what the stitch on the row below should be for an automatic check)...  So, that's the reason I've never really looked hard at an Elizabeth Zimmerman book.  :blush:

• Like 11

Another row I might have more hope of completing that I thought has the square "Classical composer or musician" - any thoughts on that one?  Too bad I can't use that humongous Liszt biography I read for that, but that was a couple of years back now, so need something new!  Something engaging and not too overly long.

Ahem. The musician here has a few recommendations for you.

The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes is about Dmitri Shostakovich's artistic life under the extreme whims of Soviet Union regimes, from Stalin to Brezhnev. It is excellent. It isn't a biography but a beautifully written novel imagining what it must have been like living on forever on the edge of favor, subject the whims of powerful political figures who had absolute control over your life and your art.

Vivaldi's Virgins is a quick, fluffy read about the young girls he taught at a convent in Venice. It is along the lines of a Tracy Chevalier book.

I've not read Dvorak in Love, but it is on my TBR list. It is about Dvorak coming to America in 1892, and I believe the love refers to his love of this country. Are you familiar with his New World Symphony? That is the best known fruit of this particular love affair.

I have twice now tried and abandoned Longing by JD Landis, about Clara Schumann. My brother loved the book, lots of folk on Goodreads love it, but I hated the writing. The story is amazing, however, and true. Clara Schumann was a piano prodigy -- she started the fashion of piano soloists performing by memory. She married Robert Schumann against her father's wishes, produced a bunch a children, and composed some exquisitely lush and romantic music. She and Robert mentored Brahms, and when Robert tried to commit suicide and wound up in a mental hospital, Brahms was there for her (they were quite possibly lovers).

• Like 10

My grandmother was left handed except for writing.  She was born in 1906 and in those days they made lefties still write with their right hands.  I think that this was because they used ink wells of liquid ink, and it's very difficult to write left-handed and avoid smearing wet ink as you progress across the pages.

• Like 7

The Noise of Time by Julian Barnes is about Dmitri Shostakovich's artistic life under the extreme whims of Soviet Union regimes, from Stalin to Brezhnev. It is excellent. It isn't a biography but a beautifully written novel imagining what it must have been like living on forever on the edge of favor, subject the whims of powerful political figures who had absolute control over your life and your art.

Christmas present for my mother done. Thank you. My mother loves all things Russian history (in the 1970's she even studied abroad in the USSR!) and is a talented musician. And she loves to read. I only got one of those characteristics from her!

• Like 6

A one day only currently free work for Kindle readers ~

The Evil Shepherd by E. Phillips Oppenheim

"A former defense attorney turned righteous crusader is the hero of this blockbuster novel from an early master of the thriller genre

A businessman is found stabbed through the heart, the obvious suspect his partner: Oliver Hilditch, a cold-eyed fellow with a paper-thin alibi. Hilditch seems destined for the gallows, but he is saved by brilliant defense attorney Francis Ledsam, who uses every legal trick he knows to free his client. It is a defense to be proud of, but Ledsam’s joy vanishes when Hilditch’s wife informs him that her husband is guilty of crimes far more monstrous than murder.

His faith in his career shaken, Ledsam vows never again to defend a guilty man. But when his newfound principles run up against the harsh reality of real-world justice, he finds himself trapped between his love for a beautiful woman and a powerful desire to do the right thing—no matter the cost."

Also currently free ~

Chicago Blue: A Red Riley Adventure  by Stephanie Andrews

Secrets in the Grave  by Karen Ann Hopkins

Reckless Magic  by Rachel Higginson

Seven Days with You  by Hugo Driscoll

Professed  by Nicola Rendell

Dear Mona Lisa by Claire Davis, Al Stewart

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

I finished two books yesterday: Angela's Ashes and The One and Only Ivan.

I loved Angela's Ashes twenty years ago, and I loved it this time around as well. It takes about twenty years for me to want to reread a book :tongue_smilie:

The One and Only Ivan had some lovely spots in it, but not enough for me to give it five stars. I went with four stars. I will be adding it to my ESL recommended reading list, as there is enough in there for adult enjoyment.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 8

I hate to take a well deserved rant in an off-topic discussion but John (Chews) wants to know what your dog's name is. The one in your avatar.

Sadly he crossed the rainbow bridge in 2016, but his name was Dingo. He was our son's 7th birthday present so we let him name his puppy. At the time Dennis was a big Crocodile Hunter fan and loved all things Down Under. His reasoning was Steve Irwin is from Australia and a dingo was Australian, so...

Dingo was probably the best dog ever (and I've had a lot of dogs in my life) and he loved his boy. We still miss him.

ETA: We used to sing the kids Bingo song but with a D instead of a B. 😀

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 9

I've not read Dvorak in Love, but it is on my TBR list. It is about Dvorak coming to America in 1892, and I believe the love refers to his love of this country. Are you familiar with his New World Symphony? That is the best known fruit of this particular love affair.

The book has been translated into Dutch and is available through IBL!

I have performanced Dvorak once, but would love to sing another piece of choir music of / from / by him.Just discovered his Te Deum.

• Like 8

My new title ideas are The Great British Road Trip or The Mysterious British Road Trip.

Goodreads sorted my Alphabetical by title category so easily that I soul love to be able to have it with me at a glace in alphabetical order. I am the odd person occasionally walking around the library looking at lists on my kindle. It seems like it could be helpful. I also think we might be able to look at each others shelf easily.

How about combining?  Great Mysterious British Road Trip

Featured Feminists:

Adina De Zavala

Alice Paul

Annie Oakley

Babe Zaharias

Eleanor Roosevelt

Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Elizabeth Zimmerman

Emma Goldman

Fatima al-Fihri

Gwendolyn Brooks

Harriet Tubman

Imogen Cunningham

Jane Mecom

Marie Curie

Queen Lili’uokalani

Rachel Carson

Rywka Lipszyc

Sadako Sasaki

Sappho

Sarojini Naidu

Shirley Chisholm

Thea Foss

Virginia Woolf

Washington State Suffragists"**

Sounds great, will definitely check it out.  Perhaps a Bingo square for 2018.  Read 3 Dead Feminists.  Or maybe just three feminists so we don't forget the live ones. Although I do like the historical aspect more. Something to think about. 

Vivaldi's Virgins is a quick, fluffy read about the young girls he taught at a convent in Venice. It is along the lines of a Tracy Chevalier book.

I have twice now tried and abandoned Longing by JD Landis, about Clara Schumann. My brother loved the book, lots of folk on Goodreads love it, but I hated the writing. The story is amazing, however, and true. Clara Schumann was a piano prodigy -- she started the fashion of piano soloists performing by memory. She married Robert Schumann against her father's wishes, produced a bunch a children, and composed some exquisitely lush and romantic music. She and Robert mentored Brahms, and when Robert tried to commit suicide and wound up in a mental hospital, Brahms was there for her (they were quite possibly lovers).

Wonderful suggestions.  Adding to my 'hubby I want christmas wish list."

My grandmother was left handed except for writing.  She was born in 1906 and in those days they made lefties still write with their right hands.  I think that this was because they used ink wells of liquid ink, and it's very difficult to write left-handed and avoid smearing wet ink as you progress across the pages.

Yep, my dad was born in the 30's and he is a  leftie.   The catholic nuns at his school would rap his knuckles with a ruler and make him write right handed.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Sadly he crossed the rainbow bridge in 2016, but his name was Dingo. He was our son's 7th birthday present so we let him name his puppy. At the time Dennis was a big Crocodile Hunter fan and loved all things Down Under. His reasoning was Steve Irwin is from Australia and a dingo was Australian, so...

Dingo was probably the best dog ever (and I've had a lot of dogs in my life) and he loved his boy. We still miss him.

ETA: We used to sing the kids Bingo song but with a D instead of a B. 😀

:crying: :001_wub:

Me too! Habits and time-management. 

(Not that my copious reading about either is always reflected in my life!  ;))

Hahaha. Me too.

How about combining?  Great Mysterious British Road Trip

Sounds great, will definitely check it out.  Perhaps a Bingo square for 2018.  Read 3 Dead Feminists.  Or maybe just three feminists so we don't forget the live ones. Although I do like the historical aspect more. Something to think about. 

Re: Great Mysterious British Road Trip. I love it. And for short those of us doing it can ourselves Brit Trippers.

Re: Feminists - I like that for a monthly challenge too. Or as a separate topic - Women writing Literature. Writing was so much a man's profession for such a long time.

• Like 6

LOL, see, my argument is that all people should learn continental knitting (which uses both hands fairly equally and so does not favor one hand over the other) and the other sort is an abomination of the worst order. ;) :lol: /jk

I am a righty who was taught continental style by a lefty. Who apparently taught me to cast on lefty but never told me. I think I'd taught over 50 people how to knit - and cast on lefty - before I realized I did it backwards from the way all the books said. Though none of the mostly righties had a problem learning the lefty casting, so no harm done I guess...

I learned to knit in German and still can't be bothered to learn to read the (to me) weird way English patterns are written... (most other languages use charts and symbols, not that stuff with rows of asterisks and such where I have to count and can't easily see what the stitch on the row below should be for an automatic check)... So, that's the reason I've never really looked hard at an Elizabeth Zimmerman book. :blush:

I didn't learn to knit with EZ but discovered her patterns a couple of years later with a subscription to Vogue Knitting. But I can totally understand how her methods must be super confusing for a lefty. Her patterns always require me to read and reread because I am always convinced I have erred but I love the results. I have made her baby surprise jacket at least a dozen times and always am surprised at the end because it worked! It's a great way to use up left over yarn. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-surprise-jacket. The stories behind how quickly she developed each pattern also impress me, the methods are unique and clever.

How about combining? Great Mysterious British Road Trip

Ladies, opinions? I think it sounds fun but I will need a shorter name for the Goodreads bookshelf I suspect.

Eta...Amy and I were posting at the same time. Looks like she solved my Goodreads problems. Brit Trippers :lol:

I am currently reading several books as I can't seem to stick to one. Most of my book time today has been spent on the third book of a YA series called The Great Library that Mom Ninja recommended to me. So far I am enjoying Ash and Quill https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30956356-ash-and-quill?ac=1&from_search=true.

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 7

I just stumbled across a queen book suggestion for you.

Queen Lucia by EF Benson.

It looks like mom-ninja has read it and didn't love it but many of my IRL friends adored it.

It was okay. It wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't great. I just kept comparing it with Wodehouse and I am very biased in favor of Wodehouse. So keep that in mind. :)

Almost done with Ovid and I have to say that Ovid did not think highly of monogamy. 

• Like 6

Question for the day: What is the one book or movie you can quote the most? How much of it can you quote?

And the most important question of all: Tea or coffee?

:bigear:

Tea of course! I have a giant cup sitting beside me right now.

I really don't quote movies\books all that much but one of the favorite quotes around my house is from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy regarding the demolition of Arthur's house........useful in an amazing number of situations. We tend to paraphrase so something like this,

But the plans were on display........in the celler, down the stairs, bottom of a file cabinet in a disused lavatory.

That's our version! :lol:

Also....Don't panic! Says it all. ;)

• Like 7

Question for the day:  What is the one book or movie you can quote the most? How much of it can you quote? 

We probably quote children's books more than any adult books.

"Happy Thursday to you!" from the Frances book by Russell Hoban

"My leg!" from the Hank the Cowdog books

"Hello, Beautiful!" from a Max and Ruby book by Rosemary Wells

From an adult book, "Welcome to Iowa.  This is what death is like." from a Bill Bryson book.

And the most important question of all:  Tea or coffee? 

Neither.  Hot chocolate.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Question for the day:  What is the one book or movie you can quote the most? How much of it can you quote?  

Tea with all the fixings. And by fixings I mean cakes.

My sisters and I could almost recite Ghostbusters growing up.

"Ray, if someone asks you if you're a god you say yes."

"Why worry? Each of us is wearing an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on our backs."

"If I'm wrong, nothing happens. We got to jail, peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it."

Book quote: "But they like surprises."

It's from Skulduggery Pleasant. Excellent audiobook by the way.

“Wait, do they even know I'm coming with you?"

"No. But they like surprises. Almost always.†

• Like 7

Question for the day: What is the one book or movie you can quote the most? How much of it can you quote?

And the most important question of all: Tea or coffee?

I’m totally a tea person. Hubby’s into Coffee and roasts his own. I love the smell, but hate the taste.

Quote wise I have Goodnight Moon and I Love You, Stinky Face rooted in my brain. Also Dr Seuss A B C, Hop on Pop and Go Dog Go. Considering James is 18 now, they’ve had a lasting Impact. Other than those, lots of snippets - Do or do not, there is no try and these aren’t the droids you are looking for from Star Wars; Move along there is nothing to see here from Men in Black,

As well as Squirrel! And Kitty!

Speaking of Goodnight Moon. Do any of you follow Amanda Palmer, Neil Gaiman’s wife? She spent all last year sharing periscope videos with her followers of her reading Goodnight Moon every night to their son Ash. Very endearing!

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

I have always been a black coffee person, but a friend brought me around to tea about two years ago. Now, I drink black coffee in the morning and a green tea in the afternoon. Sometimes, I have something decaf at night - eithet an infusion or a rooibos. And I now know that neither one contain any tea.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

I quote the movie Elf every chance I get  :leaving: .    There are so many good quotes from that movie.  I actually got a few as ringtones for my phone, but when I suddenly heard some man's voice when I was alone in the house it startled me so badly I had to get rid of them  :lol: !

I also have a few favorite TV shows I quote.   I'm not sure I have an original thought in my head sometimes.

I like very specific teas and coffee drinks, but I vote for hot chocolate.   Good quality hot chocolate.   Or drinking chocolate.

• Like 7

Anyone have suggestions for early early read alouds for me?  I need a bit of inspiration. Something along the level of My Fathers Dragon trilogy and Bunnicula. I'm feeling uninspired with the ones on my shelf and was wondering if there was anything new that I've missed.

A recommendation for those of you with littles. The picture book Tacky about the penguin is really cute. It's been a big hit at our house. Also Monkey with a Toolbelt.

How could I forget The Princess Bride!

"Lady."

"Anybody want a peanut?"

"Inconceivable."

"I don't think that word means what you think it means." 

"Truly you have a dizzying intellect."

I quote the movie Elf every chance I get  :leaving: .    There are so many good quotes from that movie.  I actually got a few as ringtones for my phone, but when I suddenly heard some man's voice when I was alone in the house it startled me so badly I had to get rid of them  :lol: !

I also have a few favorite TV shows I quote.   I'm not sure I have an original thought in my head sometimes.

I like very specific teas and coffee drinks, but I vote for hot chocolate.   Good quality hot chocolate.   Or drinking chocolate.

Ditto this! I could have an entire conversation in words recycled from movies from the 1980's.

• Like 6

Question for you hot chocolate ladies. Do you have a brand that's considered a special treat? Something unique or interesting?

Every year at Christmas we send John's birthmother a package with a few things in it and I like including interesting beverages. It's really tough coming up with ideas that are thoughtful. Really. What do you get for the person that's given you a child?!?! We send her son a Calvin and Hobbes book every year and the same toy we're buying John so they'll have a little connection with that. Her son is just a few years older. 

• Like 7

I like tea, but I drink copious amounts of coffee.  Even though caffeine does not affect me in any way.  Really.  (I think you all are making it up).

The movie I know the most quotes from has to be The Holy Grail.

After that, probably Princess Bride...

I'm one of those people that gets jittery with too much coffee. Then I get a headache. My husband makes our coffee half decaf just for me. I worked with a guy that drank coffee non-stop until bedtime and it didn't bother him at all. I'm in awe of you people.

Do you have a high tolerance for wine or other spirits? (Just for a frame of reference - after half a glass of wine I'm hugging everyone and telling them that they're my best friend and that I love them. A full glass of wine and I'm asleep on the couch drooling on myself.)

• Like 5

I like tea, but I drink copious amounts of coffee.  Even though caffeine does not affect me in any way.  Really.  (I think you all are making it up).

It never used to affect me. I could drink it all day and even right before bed with no problems. Something changed about 5 years ago and now I can't drink anything with caffeine after about 4pm, or I'll be up all night.

• Like 4

Question for you hot chocolate ladies. Do you have a brand that's considered a special treat? Something unique or interesting?

Every year at Christmas we send John's birthmother a package with a few things in it and I like including interesting beverages. It's really tough coming up with ideas that are thoughtful. Really. What do you get for the person that's given you a child?!?! We send her son a Calvin and Hobbes book every year and the same toy we're buying John so they'll have a little connection with that. Her son is just a few years older. 

I prefer hot chocolate made with milk.   I really like the Double Dark Chocolate hot chocolate at Williams Sonoma.  It's pricey at about $20, but a nice treat. They have other flavors, and it comes in a nice tin.   The Starbucks packets that you can buy at the grocery store are good.   You can often find them all packaged up nicely for the holidays at Target or Walmart.  Trader Joe's also makes a nice sipping chocolate this time of year.  https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/1394

When I am really desperate, I settle for a packet Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate Sensation.   I work very hard to not find myself in a desperate situation often  :laugh: .

• Like 5

I'm one of those people that gets jittery with too much coffee. Then I get a headache. My husband makes our coffee half decaf just for me. I worked with a guy that drank coffee non-stop until bedtime and it didn't bother him at all. I'm in awe of you people.

Do you have a high tolerance for wine or other spirits? (Just for a frame of reference - after half a glass of wine I'm hugging everyone and telling them that they're my best friend and that I love them. A full glass of wine and I'm asleep on the couch drooling on myself.)

I don't drink wine as it causes nightmares to me.

I do drink coffee as it helps me to concentrate.

When I get decaf without knowing it, I like it, sleep tereffic and need a double dosis coffee next day just to live.

I can function with less coffee during summer / vacation season.

• Like 6

I like hot chocolate made with milk. If I use a mix it's Penzey's hot chocolate mix. Most of the time though, I just use Hershey's cocoa (powder) to which I add sugar. Directions on the container say to add vanilla but I don't.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 4

My Ds is a hot chocolate man and has a cup every night before bed. He drinks water and hot chocolate, that's it. Because of his limited tastes we pick of mixes wherever and whenever we see them. Not sure how accessible some of his standbys are but he is good with Cadbury and Milka. He enjoyed the Starbucks and Ghirardelli mixes he received last Christmas quite a bit and did not share. I took that to mean special. He also really likes Swiss Miss with marshmallows so take his recommendations with that in mind. ;)

I think this thread made me drink coffee instead of my usualtea today. We have been out running errands and dh has kindly stopped twice to refill my travel mug. I am definitely enjoying a caffeine induced state right now. I haven't even been drinking much Coke (my real weakness) these last few weeks so it's hitting me fairly hard.

Book ideas for Chews......My Popper's Penguins is a must. Both of mine loved the original Boxcar Children, I think that means the first six or so.

I also read all of the original Wizard of Oz books three times when they were little. For a couple of years we lived Wizard of Oz. Definitely could quote it! They should be free on kindle which might be handy. FYI, I used to make a really good Scraps, the Patchwork Girl doll. ;)

• Like 5

I'm another who makes my hot chocolate with milk.  I use Ghiradelli Double Chocolate Premium Hot Cocoa  which can't be considered too exotic as I purchase it at Walmart.  (It has no sodium which is an issue as I need to eat a low sodium diet.  Surprisingly, a number of hot chocolate/cocoa mixes do contain sodium.)

Some links of interest ~

Taste Test: The Best Fancy Drinking Chocolate

which has this line which made me chuckle: "Our dedicated drinking chocolate tasters were served each sample blind and asked to rate all 14 contenders on a scale of 1 to 10; 1 being, "What is this foul, brown swill masquerading as chocolate?!" while 10 represented a cup that "would warm the darkest and dreariest of winter days like a ray of molten chocolate sunshine.""

The Best Gourmet Drinking Chocolates

World Drinking Chocolate Competition Winners – 2015

And a book I enjoyed that features sipping chocolate ~ The Chocolate Kiss by Laura Florand.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

A one day only currently free work for Kindle readers ~

First Love (Everyman's Library Classics) by Ivan Turgenev

"A timeless tale of youth, love, and loss, masterfully rendered by Ivan Turgenev

Vladimir Petrovich and his friends are gathered at a party recounting stories of their first loves. Vladimir tells a vivid tale of unrequited adolescent passion: When he was sixteen, he met the beautiful twenty-one-year-old Zinaida Alexandrovna Zasyekina and fell head over heels. Unfortunately for Vladimir, several other—more eligible—suitors also hoped to win the affections of the beautiful Zinaida.

An assured classic, Turgenev’s poignant novella follows young Vladimir through the peaks of ecstatic ardor and the valleys of bitter disappointment, concluding in inevitable tragedy."

Also currently free ~

Full Hearts Series  by MJ Summers

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2