Menu

If I don’t want to use ALL Singapore books...

PentecostalMom

Depends on the child....my mathy ones have preferred Intensive Practice to CWP.    The variety of problems was more interesting and stretching.

My less math inclined children have done CWP, a few problems a day, at a pace behind what the text was teaching (in addition to Textbook and Workbook).

For the math phobic child,  text book, workbook, and sometimes  Extra Practice was more than enough.

I have only used Singapore in  grades 1-3, so YMMV.  We switch to something else in 4th grade.

I can’t imagine the authors intended for students to use all the books. That would have made my kids and I crazy. This is how I used Singapore:

Textbook and Workbook are the bare minimum. Preferably with the HIG for extra guidance on how to introduce and extend lessons. If you need more challenge, add CWP. If the workbook is mind-numbingly easy, substitute the IP for the workbook. If a child is struggling to learn the material and needs more practice, add Extra Practice.

• Like 4

We use the textbook plus intensive practice or challenging word problems some. Kind of depends on the kid and level. My seventh grader did a bunch of the IP and CWP for levels 3-5. He didn’t need the workbook because it was redundant for him. I did use the HIG some. My third grader uses just the textbook for level 3, but he does supplemental math fact practice.

Edited by happypamama

We used the textbook some, the workbook daily, and the tests book at the end of each unit. We only did the cumulative test B unless my student needed extra practice. Then we'd go back and use the section tests or the other cumulative test as practice. We had the CWP books and worked through questions sometimes. We'd use it to fill in at the end of the year when we finished early. My kids have never needed enough extra practice to justify the extra practice books, but I liked knowing that they were there if we did need them.

I can’t imagine the authors intended for students to use all the books. That would have made my kids and I crazy. This is how I used Singapore:

Textbook and Workbook are the bare minimum. Preferably with the HIG for extra guidance on how to introduce and extend lessons. If you need more challenge, add CWP. If the workbook is mind-numbingly easy, substitute the IP for the workbook. If a child is struggling to learn the material and needs more practice, add Extra Practice.

Excellent advise. I will repeat the suggestion of the HIG so that you ensure to teach the strengths of the method. Unlike BA and MM, this is a method of direct instruction via a teacher knowledgeable in the methods, with secondary and tertiary reinforcement in the structure of the text and the problems workbooks. Make sure you know the method, and if you don't the HIG is great (especially in Standards Ed I think). Otherwise you have a pile of (pricey) workbooks, not much different than any other.

I use tb, wb, and IP, and I occasionally add on parts of Process Skills in Problem Solving when we are in between IP books (or when we hit a wall in IP), to learn bar diagrams. I have CWP, but I don't use it, because it seems superfluous since we've using IP. If I got tired of the time IP takes us (we spend 30-45 min/day), I'd probably do CWP instead. I do love how the IP books stretch the girls, which is why we stick with it. I do the "challenge" books approximately one semester behind the tb/wb, and at a separate time of the day from our tb/wb lesson.

Generally I do just *one* extra book along with the tb/wb, which for us is the IP (and occasionally bits of the FAN math problem solving skills book). If I couldn't spare the time for IP, I'd do CWP. If my kids needed more practice than the wb provides, I'd use the EP books.

Edited by forty-two

In my opinion, the HIG and workbook (OR IP) is what is needed for the student to be strong conceptually. I agree with whoever said using everything would probably be awful. We use IP over the summer to keep skills fresh. I would add CWP during the year if my kid was clamoring for more math, but she's not. Singapore has made her very comfortable with math concepts, and I think the HIG is is the most important part of that.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden
  • Like 1

I use the Textbook and Workbook. I have most of the HIG’s too. I don’t find that I use them much though, especially in the early grades. The SM way is how I’ve always understood math so I found that I was already explaining the concepts the Singapore way without it most of the time. I still refer to it though just to be sure. I’ve bought some of the other books before but it was too overwhelming for my kids and myself to juggle them all.

Depends on the student

High Ability: textbook, IP, CWP

Average Ability: textbook, workbook, CWP

Struggling: textbook, workbook, EP

I have to add one...high ability, but who really hates math: quick run through the text with WB and finish as quickly as possible so you can get to more interesting things like literature and art.  :lol:

I love how flexible Singapore is. You really can use it with all types of students. Unfortunately my math-hater was my oldest so I kept looking for the perfect curriculum. If I had known what I know now, I would have let her do the bare minimum on math and stuck with Singapore.

• Like 1