Menu

My DH says I don't like change...

Plateau Mama

We had a water leak in our laundry room. While we were doing repairs We decided to swap out the linoleum for tile and do the two bathrooms as well. Something we have talked about for 14 years but never done.

In order to simplify the process I went and picked out samples of tile I liked and let DH choose which one. Fine that went great. Then I tell him I want a barn door for the laundry room. "Why do we want a barn door, that will look silly." Call decorator friend. "Great

Idea, do natural wood vs white so it will pop."

Next I start to paint. "Why are you painting the laundry room. It will look silly to paint just that room." No, I am going to paint the bonus room too, with an accent wall. "Accent wall will look too dark."

On to picking out carpet. Cannot do same color as it has been discontinued. Can't do color we did downstairs. Discontinued. I want dark, to hide dirt. Hubby "if we do dark it will look like we were trying to match downstairs." Carpet guy, they won't even think about it. It is only one room, far away from this carpet do whatever you want.

Now I am moving everything back in. I decided to rearrange the furniture. "The bookcases look rediculous there. Why are you moving everything around. What do you mean you don't want a sofa in there?"

So tell me, who doesnt like change?

Edited by Plateau Mama
  • Like 16

He seems to be the one who does not like change.

Dh and I have different areas where we don't like change. We just had to replace our fridge.i was u happy that I couldn't replace it with what we already had. Okay, I like the new fridge now but I was quite resentful of it's presence.

He doesn't like quick changes of plans. Like we we're going to x restaurant and as we are leaving I say we are going to y.

My dh doesn't like anything different. Its traditional style all the time.

Beige paint will match anything! He says.

He'd never go for a barn door. That looks dumb. He'd say.

I had to fight long and hard for the dark carpeting I had installed in our house when we built it. He wanted....

Beige.

I'm still working on installing a pendant light over the kitchen sink.

I always find it amusing and sort of cute that other people's husbands actually care about decor, fashion, etc. at all. As long as mine has a bed to sleep in, a chair to sit in, his laptop, and food, he is good to go. I'm not sure he would notice if I shaved my head, threw out half the furniture, and painted the house pink with purple polka dots, lol.

• Like 5

I always find it amusing and sort of cute that other people's husbands actually care about decor, fashion, etc. at all. As long as mine has a bed to sleep in, a chair to sit in, his laptop, and food, he is good to go. I'm not sure he would notice if I shaved my head, threw out half the furniture, and painted the house pink with purple polka dots, lol.

Yeah...the thing is that my dh doesn't really care about it once it's there. But when we have to *gasp* spend money on something he really wants his opinions heard.

• Like 1

My dh is the same. We're just starting a big remodeling project and I've picked out everything. If a salesperson asks his opinion, he says, "Whatever makes my wife happy!"  :laugh:

• Like 1

When we first moved into our house, DH balked at a shower curtain with flowers on it but I like it so much I bought it anyways and put it in the downstairs bathroom.  15 years later when I repainted the upstairs bathroom, the upstairs curtain just didn't work but the downstairs one was perfect.  So I just swapped them around.  I'm not sure if DH ever noticed but if he did he never said a word.  Why couldn't he have just let me put the shower curtain I liked best upstairs in the first place (I don't use the downstairs bathroom as it's too cold for me in the basement that I almost never go down there for any reason)?

Somehow DH can handle change much better if I just do it and show him the results.  If I ask first it never goes well.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

Same here.

• Like 1

Same here. He doesn’t even need the chair or bed. At one point, we only had foam “bean†bags for furniture and hammocks for beds. If he has his phone & tablet and some food, he’s good.

• Like 1

He seems to be the one who does not like change.

Dh and I have different areas where we don't like change. We just had to replace our fridge.i was u happy that I couldn't replace it with what we already had. Okay, I like the new fridge now but I was quite resentful of it's presence.

He doesn't like quick changes of plans. Like we we're going to x restaurant and as we are leaving I say we are going to y.

That is what I told him. This small project really proved it. We have a list of things to do (backyard anyone?) but we never do anything because we "can't agree". The reality is he is afraid to pull the trigger and do something wrong.

Yeah...the thing is that my dh doesn't really care about it once it's there. But when we have to *gasp* spend money on something he really wants his opinions heard.

I am actually the one who won't spend the money. He is usually pretty good about spending money. He has to give me a budget or I will never buy anything expensive. I hate spending money.