Menu

x-post: So, how would *you* tweak WTM (in High Sch) for a future missionary?

Does the student know to what country or area of the world he/she wishes to go? That might affect things.

Off the top of my head, I would focus heavily on language study, and I would make a serious attempt to expose the student to resources from foreign cultures (literature, art, etc.). If the student has a particular country or geographic focus then study that by all means, but also study other places and people too. I think a broad experience learning what others think and how they live equips a person with the tools for cross-cultural living.

I would also study poverty and global economics.

I would give a good Bible background--not just knowing the facts of the Bible, but also the tools for interpreting it with accuracy, and practice in formulating lessons/sermons and teaching the Bible. I would also make sure the student has practice in respectful dialogue with non-Christians, a course in apologetics, and a course in Christian history. While we're at it, I think a course comparing world religions would be time well spent also.

Finally, a good business and management background is wise for any missionary. All too often Christian workers are trained in the message, but not on how to manage the more practical, day-to-day reality of running a church or parachurch organization.

ETA: If your student has an interest in remote jungle tribes, a few good camping and wilderness survival courses wouldn't go amiss.

What would be "priority" and what would be "nice if we can get to it"? What would you add, if anything, that isn't in WTM (that I probably don't know about?

IOW - all practical bits of advice welcome!

Thanks,

Rhonda

"nice if you can get to it" for me would be practical skills like car maint., building maint., things like that. Also, handicraft skills like sewing, mending, knitting, crochet......they'd come in handy for practical reasons, but also as recreational diversion. Painting/drawing/learning a musical instrument, too. But you know, I think most of this *is* mentioned in WTM! It's just not mentioned on the boards much, in favour of all that lit. analysis, LOL! :)

ETA: When I think about it, all things WTM would be excellent prep for missions work (I was a missionary for over 6 years).

Edited by Colleen in NS

My dd has been a missionary in Romania and is getting training now to go back f.t. If you'd like to email her or get her blog pm me. I would focus on grammar and languages- if they'll be in an area with Romance languages, definilty hit Latin. Not sure how I'd tweak TWTM but I would focus on history and politics.

My parents are /were missionaries in the bush in Africa, Ethiopia and in a covert manner in a country that is westernized that does not allow missionaries. Our church has several folks who are Wycliffe in New Guinea and Ethiopia.

Practical skills, sewing, car maintenance, cooking from scratch, carpentry, nutrition, wilderness survival skills, are needed, as are First Aid skills. First Aid skills and wilderness survival skills might be the most important things the child should learn! Learning how to make a fire or find fresh water, treat broken bones and other illness are a must if the child is going to be living in the bush in a third world country. You might want to take a look at some BSA merit badge books to get you started but your child will need more depth.

If a third world country is where you child feels called a course or two in Linguistics and a christian based Anthropology course. Books like Peace Child are written from a Christian Anthropology world view and I would have the child read lots of books like it. Tool around over at Wycliffe and see if they have any resources.

Of course world history and politics would be good also.

"nice if you can get to it" for me would be practical skills like car maint., building maint., things like that. Also, handicraft skills like sewing, mending, knitting, crochet......they'd come in handy for practical reasons, but also as recreational diversion. Painting/drawing/learning a musical instrument, too. But you know, I think most of this *is* mentioned in WTM! It's just not mentioned on the boards much, in favour of all that lit. analysis, LOL! :)

ETA: When I think about it, all things WTM would be excellent prep for missions work (I was a missionary for over 6 years).

First, I was wondering about some of the "practical skills" electives mentioned at the end of WTM (home maintenance, small engine repair, etc.). And, the survival skills some other posters mentioned - I was worried maybe those things weren't really necessary anymore - LOL!

But, most importantly, or I guess at the heart of my dilemma was should I continue with a Great Books study, or should I change methods completely for high school?

I would *love* to do something along the lines of thegreatbooks.com, but really, I think that's a bit out of our league. (my ds is just an average kid - not really an academic!) So, I will probably follow their lead - I *think* it would be better to study some Hindu writings, for example, and perhaps not focus *so* exclusively on Western Civ.

And, of course, SL Core 200 just sits there looking so good (and so easy for me!).....

So, you think a Great Books course (maybe modified a bit from WTM to include some non-western sources) would be good?

no pressure....(tee, hee!)

Thanks,

Rhonda

And where were you a missionary???? I haven't gotten to really read the YWAM site, yet. I think I'll have to wait til everyone's in bed...

That sounds interesting. I think one of my personal fears of missions work is that I don't want to contribute to the - I can't think of exactly the right word - maybe dehumanizing (?) of another culture. You know, while I don't personally believe God cares what you wear or eat or how you wear your hair, I admit that I think *I* would be one of those that would want to make someone be "like me". (I don't really know why - I can't really imagine anyone *wanting* to be like me - LOL!) But, like today we were reading about how so many missionaries in the late 1800's believed they had to "kill the Indian" to "save the man".

Not sure if that's along the lines of what "cross-cultural communication" would study or not. Do you have any resources that would explain it further?

Thanks,

Rhonda

I did a few interesting subject in linguistics at uni:

~Bilingualism and second language acquisition

~Cross cultural communication

I think these sorts of things would come in handy.

:)

Rosie

That sounds interesting. I think one of my personal fears of missions work is that I don't want to contribute to the - I can't think of exactly the right word - maybe dehumanizing (?) of another culture. You know, while I don't personally believe God cares what you wear or eat or how you wear your hair, I admit that I think *I* would be one of those that would want to make someone be "like me". (I don't really know why - I can't really imagine anyone *wanting* to be like me - LOL!) But, like today we were reading about how so many missionaries in the late 1800's believed they had to "kill the Indian" to "save the man".

Not sure if that's along the lines of what "cross-cultural communication" would study or not. Do you have any resources that would explain it further?

This has always been a concern for me, as well. The word that comes to mind when you ask this question is, contextualization. I went to Bible College in the '80s, and I remember this being a bit of a "buzz word" when talking about how to minister cross culturally. I wish I had a good book to recommend, but I'm a bit out of the loop these days when it comes to this topic. Maybe a Google search will give you some good leads on what it means, and how to teach this.

Lori

But, most importantly, or I guess at the heart of my dilemma was should I continue with a Great Books study, or should I change methods completely for high school?

I *think* it would be better to study some Hindu writings, for example, and perhaps not focus *so* exclusively on Western Civ.

So, you think a Great Books course (maybe modified a bit from WTM to include some non-western sources) would be good?

And where were you a missionary???? I haven't gotten to really read the YWAM site, yet. I think I'll have to wait til everyone's in bed...

Now this is cool - this is something I've wondered about before, too. About Great Books - because I worked in missions for over 6 years, with people from all over the world, I'm interested in cultures other than western cultures, too. Now, I agree that western books are good to study so you can get a foundation of our North American culture. But, I think you could mix in book studies from other cultures, too. Why not go for it??? I don't really know how to go about it, unless you find writings translated into English, then just use the WTM techniques of read up on the history of the area, the events surrounding the time period in which the book was written, read it, put dates on timeline, write about it. I'm guessing wildly (because I've wondered about it), but I don't know why the WTM techniques wouldn't work for non-western works. Create your own 4 year reading list, including what you want.

Check out YWAM Publishing for lots of good books about missions and cross cultural communication, too.

Worldview would be on the top of my list. We were missionaries in Mozambique for a while, and now I am helping a mission write a worldview curriculum at the post secondary level for Africans. It will be used in a vocational training situation.

In on our discussions is a Nigerian man who lives here in the US and is very highly educated. We have been discussing world view and Africa, and it's been extremely insightful to me to see the cultural ramifications of worldview on a people group. It's fascinating, actually.

That having been said, everything previously mentioned is solid advice. Business management and practical skills would probably be just below worldview on my list. I have seen missionaries who have never worked in the "real" world get into a management situation and have a terrible time trying to figure out how to run things without hurting folks (usually other expats, not so much the local population).

I asked DH about this, and his suggestion was to have a firm grasp of the parables, then to practice looking for applications in other cultural stories. He reminded me of a missionary who did this, who took the time to learn the stories of the culture and then looked for the corresponding parable. It made a big difference for him between connecting to the hearers and losing them. In fact, most of one village was saved due to this sort of story exchange— the missionary recorded their stories, and they asked him to tell his. :001_smile:

Thanks,

Rhonda

This was second year uni, and we used a textbook by Anna Wierzbicka. It's really not for high school kids, so I'm not sure what you could use instead. It's the sort of thing where you really need to be in a tute group with a bunch of people from, or have been to, various places. I did terribly on the assignments, but did learn a lot of practical tips. Our lecturer was Chinese, so she gave us lots of examples from China and Asia in general. We, in return, coached her on the correct usage of dreadful Australian slang and swearing, which sounded really funny being practised by a prim looking little Chinese lady! They were small things, like not being concerned when some Asian bloke knocks into you in the underground train station. It's not rudeness, it's that he probably hasn't been here long, and hasn't acclimitised his manners to notice and apologise for such things. Um. Yeah. I don't really know what to suggest! There are "Culture Shock" type books in the library, usually, but the info doesn't really sink in unless you can go out and see examples in play. Emotions are even different in some parts of the world, to what we have. Sounds crazy at first, but seriously, I've read stuff about this and not only do we not have a translation of the emotion word, but I've never felt like that and can not even imagine any situation where I would feel like that. It's so, well, weird and interesting!

Rosie

It's a wonderful thing that your dc has this on his heart! I quickly read through the other posts, and what struck me about many of the suggestions is that they are things covered in a missions degree at a christian university (linguistics, anthropology, etc.). And of course he doesn't have to be in the degree program to take those courses. There are many roads to the mission field, and often for a man he can get a degree in something totally different (bible, english, medicine) and then pursue an MDiv and do studies in missions at that point. Really, my best two cents is to find out what his "bazooka in his hands" is. See that's how I heard it explained once, that we all have a bazooka in our hands and we just need to see what it is so we can know what to do with it. And that's what I would say. If his gift is linguistics, pursue it. But if it's carpentry or math or something totally different, pursue that. Then take those skills you've developed, the bazooka in your hands, and be in the way to be used. Get active in your church and ask your pastor what you can do to help. And if he says clean the church, you do it. If he says come with him on visitation or help photocopy, or whatever it is, you do it. Then you are in the way to learn and serve. You'll meet people and be around and things will happen, doors will open. See no one is a missionary in another place who isn't one here. It's not the location that makes the difference, but what you're doing.

As for academics, well like I said, in high school I would simply nurture his gifts and give him time to get active serving others. Then he can research recommendations of the mission boards your denomination uses. Many will want a Bible degree or even an advanced Bible degree for a man. They'll want minimal or no debt. (not as easy!) He can start talking with admissions counselors at christian colleges to discuss different degree options he might pursue. I have a missions degree, and it's not particularly the most useful thing, lol. For a guy, I'd suggest he pursue a degree that nurtures his gift (math, english, carpentry, medicine, whatever), and then get an MDiv to be well-prepared theologically. That gives him time to mature, find a wife, and become active in a sending church. By the time he finishes his MDiv, he's hopefully debt-free, established, and ready to go. It's particularly good preparation because he can then start a seminary or teach in one. Or maybe he has a different vision based on his gifts? (aviation, etc.)

Just for your trivia, my friend told me latin was the best prep for greek and hebrew, because it makes you REALLY understand the grammar. So I'd continue to focus on the basics and really doing them well.

Rhonda, on the great books study, absolutely still do this! If he wants to read about comparative religions or other things, do that on the side. He should continue with a normal education. The reasons are several. One, he may not end up pursuing missions. Two, he needs to be an educated, well-read human being in order to interact with a variety of people. He has no clue where he'll end up, so specializing too soon is unwise. A broad, generous education opens doors of communication with many people. It's the argument for a liberal arts vs. technical education. :)

I saw your concern about how missions impacts cultures. Obviously there has been impact for good as well as ill. It's an issue they discuss in missions classes and which he'll learn about. It's something his missions board will talk with him about. It's an issue that is handled very carefully and with a lot of wisdom, frankly. I remember this american man in Russia claiming the national christian music was no good because it was all in minor keys. (It needed to sound happy and pert like american music!) Well I just laughed and realized he didn't know the language or culture very well. So even good people mess up on this issue. On the other hand though, the Great Commission does carry with it the assumption of CHANGE. We should not be afraid to have change occur in the culture or idolize the primitive or godless way of life. See there's a sort of idolization or fascination with the primitive (naked people in the National Geographic magazine, etc.), where we think we're doing something wrong if we change them, which just isn't true!

His best thing is to read good missionary biographies and meet missionaries and talk with them as much as he can. They're all different, all human, each reaching out in their own way. That's why I said it's really not a formula, that he has to see what HIS gift is and what skills he has that he can develop. Those skills, all the academics and whatever else, become the springboard. I had a friend in college who got a master's in business to be able to get into a closed country.

There are so many ways to get there! The big thing is to develop your skills, stay active in the church, active praying for missionaries, writing missionaries, supporting missionaries, and then find ways to go use your gifts. The skills opened doors for you. So definitely don't discount just a plain old, super-quality high school education and a good degree. He can get the anthropology and things in college, but coming out debt-free, that's harder and takes more prep. Many people with good intentions have been floundered by debt.

In addition to all of the great advice you've gotten so far, not instead ;), I would do the following:

1. I would graft in as many missionary biographies into the 4-yr sequence as I possibly could.

2. I would make sure the young person read Eternity in Their Hearts.

3. I would try to keep as many missionaries on furlough at my house when they pass through town as possible and ask them to tell the stories they are afraid to tell in church services (because of possible doctrinal differences/misunderstandings). Get the real scoop about how things are in the field.

Is there a course or book or company you could suggest?

I've been contemplating trying to work through the list at thegreatbooks.com for high school. It is kind of history, kind of humanities, and little bit literature....but mostly worldview. It would greatly take away from the novels that really drew me to WTM if we did it as written. But, it would really dig into the philosophies that shaped those novels.

If you've ever looked it over, or have time to check it out, I'd love your thoughts...

Otherwise, if you just happen to know something we could use maybe over the summer (before we start Ancients again next year), that would be great, too.

Thanks!

Rhonda

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing stories (or maybe reading them) about about such misunderstandings. I'll check the library - and just keep an eye out. It seems like with such emphasis on international relations as we have today, this kind of information would be in great demand.

Rhonda, one of the religions, is it the Mormons?, keeps a series of info on each and every country that details all the differences, the little things you wouldn't realize. In some countries it's how you hold your hands or words that are different even though they use english or colors you wear or even how you wear your hair. We had access to that whole notebook to use in research and preparation to go to a country. I'm sure now much of that is available online.

Elizabeth,

I'm still formulating....I'm trying to come up with a plan that would definitely include a "Great Books" study, but that would also incorporate some worldview studies (perhaps using thegreatbooks.com as a general guide).

Could I pm you after I've got a better grasp on my own thoughts - and then maybe you can help me see where my blind spots are?

Unfortunately, I have to go teach *today* before I can plan tomorrow - LOL!

Thanks!

Rhonda

Also, you might check Fuller Theological Seminary's School of Missions www.fuller.edu. They are cutting edge regarding contextualization (I belive the word was coined there by Dr. Hagaa and C.Peter Wagner). Lots of good stuff coming out of there (my dh has a couple of degrees from FTS so I'm biased). I'm sure that you would get some excellent book suggestions from their bookstore and they could put you in touch with people from whatever country you are looking at.

Is there a course or book or company you could suggest?

I've been contemplating trying to work through the list at thegreatbooks.com for high school. It is kind of history, kind of humanities, and little bit literature....but mostly worldview. It would greatly take away from the novels that really drew me to WTM if we did it as written. But, it would really dig into the philosophies that shaped those novels.

If you've ever looked it over, or have time to check it out, I'd love your thoughts...

Otherwise, if you just happen to know something we could use maybe over the summer (before we start Ancients again next year), that would be great, too.

Thanks!

Rhonda

Send your student to a worldview camp, the two men at thegreatbooks.com speak every year. There are two camps in TX, one at Baylor in June and one in the New Braunfels area in Sept/Oct.

http://www.worldview.org/

Honestly?

I wouldn't use a WTM approach for a future missionary, even with tweaking. (And that's not a slam on WTM -- I wouldn't use ANY classical approach, period, if I was preparing for the mission field).

IMO, classical education is far to Western-focused to be genuinely useful in preparing for missions. I would use something like Sonlight and then, as so many others mentioned, focus HEAVILY on practical skills. (An exception to this would be if your student plans to go to a Christian college or seminary BEFORE heading to the mission field -- in that case, I would think a classical education would be very valuable just as a college prep course of study.)

The one exception I could see is studying Latin -- if I understand correctly, doesn't that help you learn pretty much ANY other language? Unless you know what language your student needs -- in which case I would learn that.

I'm not trying to be contrary, honest. But I have to confess that I have rather strong feelings on the subject, as I have been SO turned off in my own church by the "classical Christian" educators -- sadly, they have a very poor reputation in the community for being elitist and arrogant. I am most certainly NOT saying that every Christian who uses classical methods is an elitist. I do think, though, that there are approaches to education that are MUCH more mission-oriented than classical. In *my* mind, there's somewhat of an incompatibility -- I'm sure others see it very differently.

Best wishes as you move forward. I love missions and mission work.

Just as an observation, I don't think it's just about what you teach, but how you teach it and how the dc receives it. Obviously whatever Rhonda is doing is working, because her ds is coming out with a heart for missions and service. Excellence in education and a classical education does NOT preclude that, but it can be done in a way that turns the heart toward other things. If he's turning out well and is humble, has a heart to serve, I'd continue what you're doing! Most of the friends I have who are now in missionary service are incredibly well educated. It's not just the learning, but the heart.