Menu

Do you study LATIN ahead of your children?

AudreyTN

I would suggest getting ahead of your children as you move to higher level books. When we did Prima Latina and even Latina Christiana I, I didn't feel a pressing need to be ahead of my boys. When we started Latina Christiana II, I saw the need to actually know what I was talking about. The concepts become more difficult because you're dealing with declension, gender, case, and number, and that's just for one word. I find that Latin is easier to explain when I'm confident in what I'm saying, and I can actually do the translation work myself.

I'm planning on Wheelock's next year, and I started working through the book last summer. It has actually helped my teach LCII better because I understand the concepts more thoroughly now. In addition, I've worked through R&S Grammar 6 which has helped me understand the Latin grammar and vice versa.

This is something that never really occurred to me. I just figured I'd learn it along with them. Now I'm wondering if I should get a small head start.

I HIGHLY recommend learning Latin well ahead of your dc. It will make your job of teaching it to them SO much easier.

OK, so my "yes" actually means that I am at the point where I need to start working ahead of my children. I have just ordered Lingua Latina and Henle for that purpose. We are in LCII this year, and just like Beth mentioned above, I was fine through Prima Latina and LCI, but in LCII I am seeing the need for me to have a better understanding of what I am teaching. Hopefully Lingua Latina and Henle will do this for me!

I took four years of Latin in high school. My pronunciation stinks a badly now as it ever did, but I remember a surprising amount (once I started dusting off those brain cells). I just do a quick read before the lesson, like I would any subject and then go from there. My high school classics courses are one of the big reasons I have been drawn to classical education.

I voted no.

I know I probably SHOULD, but I've been learning right along right now (we're in Latin Prep I). I really have no desire to learn ahead and the only reason I'm learning alongside him is because we do it together. I've graduated high school and college, and as dismal as those educations were, I have no desire to further my education. I have other things I like to do with my free time.

We are using Latin Prep. Oldest child is in Book 2 and she works fairly independently. She does the exercises and then checks her answers. If she gets them wrong and can't figure out why then I read the lesson over quickly and then help her. My 2nd child is in Book 1. Since I did it with his sister last year, I am finding it very easy to answer any questions he has. He is also working fairly independently. Every now and then I quiz them orally. On Fridays we usually work through a chapter of Ecce (just for something different) and they explain a lot to me then. They are finding it very easy after the grounding LP is providing.