Menu

San Diego in 1 1/2 days

TechWife

Depends on what you like. The zoo is very nice and I have heard great things about the US Midway (we never got around to it). There are several nice museums (again no personal experience as we ran out of time) in Balboa park which is quite pretty in itself.

Old Town is very touristy but we actually really enjoyed it. Lots of cool little stores (but it depends on whether you enjoy that kind of stuff). I'd also vote for Seaport Village (more touristy shops), a ferry ride to Coronado, and some time looking at Coronado, the beach, and the hotel Del Coronado.

If you aren't too much into museums/zoos and do enjoy touristy stuff I would probably do Old Town on Thursday and Seaport Village/Coronado on Friday.

• Like 2

For evening dinner and relaxation, my parents liked eating at Westfield UTC La Jolla and then window shopping.

For daytime they liked Balboa Park. My parents and my kids also liked the Hotel del Coronado for relaxing and watching waves, and looking at how pretty the hotel architecture is.

Enjoy your U2 concert.

Where is the U2 concert? That'll affect your Friday day-time options.

It is at Qualcomm Stadium for the Joshua Tree Tour.

• Like 1

We have been to San Diego twice this year, I really like it out there!

We really enjoyed a whale watching tour and the drive to Cabrillo National Monument. In fact we did that on both trips.

Instead of the zoo I would suggest the Safari Park since it's a unique experience. However, it's kind of a drive out there and you would probably want to spend a day out there.

Balboa Park is beautiful to drive through but there are also all kinds of museums. If you enjoy hiking go check out the Mission Hills 5 peak challenge. It is possible to visit all five in a day and get your pin, although you could just pick one and enjoy the view of San Diego.

Have fun at the concert!

• Like 2

We've spent a couple months in the SD area over the past two years.  I'd spend an afternoon in Balboa Park.  There's so much to see there.  There's a nice restaurant there too (the Prado) where you could have lunch.

I'd spend some time in the waterfront area.  There's a long walkway that runs along the water there.  If you enjoy history, you can go to the USS Midway Aircraft Carrier.  We really enjoyed that.  The tour guides are people who actually served on the ship.

You could have dinner in Little Italy.  It's fun to stop over there in the evening.  Our favorite restaurant there is the pizza restaurant, Filippi's Pizza Grotto.  It has a fun atmosphere.  There is almost always a long line in the evenings but it moves fast.

If you want to do something special that will take more time, you could take a ferry to Coronado Island to see the Hotel del Coronado. 

We've always taken Uber or Lyft around in San Diego.  It's quick and you don't have to bother parking then.  Everything is so close in San Diego that it doesn't cost too much.

I'd skip Old Town and Seaport Village.

• Like 3

Some kind of local I am -- I had no idea there was a U2 concert in town! 

Are you here already? I'd say go to La Jolla -- have breakfast then walk along the cove and look for the sea lions and just enjoy the view. Brockton Villa in La Jolla is a favorite place for taking out of town guests. If you are in La Jolla, drive up to Mt. Soledad to get a great view of the city. Seaport Village is also a pleasant place to walk around and enjoy the waterfront. I love the beaches in Coronado -- you can do a big loop drive over the bridge, down the Strand to almost Mexico then come back up the freeway. Torrey PInes State beach has some nice hiking trails as does Mission Gorge. And yes, Balboa Park is a treasure with all the museums and the zoo and gardens. 

Cabrillo Monument at the tip of Point Loma is another beautiful spot. There is great tide pooling in the area and the lighthouse is nice to visit. You can stop by the funky beach community of Ocean Beach. 

It's air show weekend, so you may not want to head too far north (as in Safari Park) due to traffic. 

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 4

No help with your question, just adding:

SAW U2 THIS WEEK -- AND IT WAS AN AWESOME SHOW ! ! !

I don't often shout (lol) but this was worth shouting about. :) They are as amazing as the last time we saw them... which was 30 years ago for the original Joshua Tree tour. 

Have a super time at your concert!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

• Like 5

I have no suggestions, just an opinion. I hate the San Diego traffic but I did enjoy walking around old town by the beach. Fun stuff. 

Love U2. Oh, we ate at a cool little Greek place. One person worked there, on a Friday night. Very good food, forget the name. That is all.

We love Greek Corner Cafe in San Diego. I wonder if that could have been it? When we were there, there was usually only a husband and wife (I'm guessing?) working. So, so good. 

I miss San Diego and love U2! Have fun!!! 

• Like 2

Some kind of local I am -- I had no idea there was a U2 concert in town!

Are you here already? I'd say go to La Jolla -- have breakfast then walk along the cove and look for the sea lions and just enjoy the view. Brockton Villa in La Jolla is a favorite place for taking out of town guests. If you are in La Jolla, drive up to Mt. Soledad to get a great view of the city. Seaport Village is also a pleasant place to walk around and enjoy the waterfront. I love the beaches in Coronado -- you can do a big loop drive over the bridge, down the Strand to almost Mexico then come back up the freeway. Torrey PInes State beach has some nice hiking trails as does Mission Gorge. And yes, Balboa Park is a treasure with all the museums and the zoo and gardens.

Cabrillo Monument at the tip of Point Loma is another beautiful spot. There is great tide pooling in the area and the lighthouse is nice to visit. You can stop by the funky beach community of Ocean Beach.

It's air show weekend, so you may not want to head too far north (as in Safari Park) due to traffic.

Yes, we arrived this afternoon. The afternoon didn't go as planned because our hotel is too far off the beaten path. My dh went running and we found a good Italian place for dinner. We are changing hotels in the morning and plan to spend time at Balboa park - we enjoy museums and walking trails so that's probably a good fit. We may go to the zoo if we don't tire ourselves out too much! Thanks for the warning about the air show - we've been hearing a lot of air traffic but figured it was probably normal for the area. The concert has a late start, so we have time to spend several hours walking and enjoying ourselves!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

• Like 3

Yes, we arrived this afternoon. The afternoon didn't go as planned because our hotel is too far off the beaten path. My dh went running and we found a good Italian place for dinner. We are changing hotels in the morning and plan to spend time at Balboa park - we enjoy museums and walking trails so that's probably a good fit. We may go to the zoo if we don't tire ourselves out too much! Thanks for the warning about the air show - we've been hearing a lot of air traffic but figured it was probably normal for the area. The concert has a late start, so we have time to spend several hours walking and enjoying ourselves!

Thanks for the tips everyone!

If you are within a few miles of Miramar, you likely heard the Blue Angels practicing today.

U2 put on an outstanding show. Absolutely amazing!

We went to the art museum, walked around Balboa Park and then headed into the zoo to see the pandas and koalas since we don't have any at our zoo. My husband is going to run down to the USS Midway in the am and run along the waterfront. We can see the bay from our hotel balcony & I spent a few minutes watching sailboats late this afternoon. The weather was perfect, as advertised, and I took a 30 min nap with the balcony door open. We walked to Little Italy and picked a random restaurant . Great service, nice meal. Then we walked backed to the hotel to put our concert clothes on, hailed an uber to the staduium and our driver did a great job by basically knowing back roads so we avoided a ton of wait time.

THEN WE SAW U2 AND IT WAS AMAZING,

San Diego is a.beautifgul city and I hope to be back soon. .

• Like 5

U2 put on an outstanding show. Absolutely amazing!

We went to the art museum, walked around Balboa Park and then headed into the zoo to see the pandas and koalas since we don't have any at our zoo. My husband is going to run down to the USS Midway in the am and run along the waterfront. We can see the bay from our hotel balcony & I spent a few minutes watching sailboats late this afternoon. The weather was perfect, as advertised, and I took a 30 min nap with the balcony door open. We walked to Little Italy and picked a random restaurant . Great service, nice meal. Then we walked backed to the hotel to put our concert clothes on, hailed an uber to the staduium and our driver did a great job by basically knowing back roads so we avoided a ton of wait time.

THEN WE SAW U2 AND IT WAS AMAZING,

San Diego is a.beautifgul city and I hope to be back soon. .

So glad you had an amazing time. I pink puffy heart San Diego, too. Come visit again soon! :)

• Like 1