Menu

PNW folks: rain gear?

lauraw4321

My family is relocating to the Seattle area. Everyone keeps telling me the importance of having good rain boots and good rain gear. The problem is that I have no idea what makes for good rain gear. Do boots go over regular shoes? If not, do kids carry tennis shoes to change into once they get to school? What kind of jacket works best? I appreciate your advice!

When my family moved to OR, my mom was told the same thing and ended up over-preparing. Any good gortex jacket is fine for most of the rainy season. It can be a lightweight, unlined jacket that you just layer over your clothes, or something more like a lightweight ski parka. Columbia, Helly Hansen, North Face ($$$) are common brands. You can wait until you get there a pick up jackets at Costco. It doesn't get that cold, so you can just wear a sweatshirt under your jacket. Umbrellas are not common. You won't be wading through huge puddles, so any waterproof shoe is fine (I wore Keens, Danskos, whatever). You don't need galoshes or overshoes. If drainage is a problem in places, you just skip around the puddles. Every school I've been to in the PNW allowed the kids to wear their street shoes inside. Rain in Seattle is more of a constant drizzle than a huge downpour, so just flip up your hood when it gets wet and you will be fine.

• Like 10

Agreeing. 

We lived in Vancouver when my oldest kids were 7 and younger. For those ages,  the kids will need rain boots and raincoats (and we had muddy buddies for the 3 and under set--basically full body raincoats).  But I wouldn't stock up, they are easy to find when you get there and always available in thrift shops or as hand me downs.

For adults,  what ondreah said.  You might want an umbrella, but  they are alot of fuss. 

My kids still love the rain and hate bright sunny days.

• Like 3

Who is telling you that you need good rain gear?  Is it people in Seattle?

People here are known for not using umbrellas or raincoats or acting in any way differently because it's raining.  Most of the time the rain is quite light and a fleece jacket will do just fine.  And I've never had rain boots.

I've lived here 17 years.

• Like 4

Who is telling you that you need good rain gear? Is it people in Seattle?

People here are known for not using umbrellas or raincoats or acting in any way differently because it's raining. Most of the time the rain is quite light and a fleece jacket will do just fine. And I've never had rain boots.

Yes, Seattle folks. Mostly for the kids - not for me.

It really depends on how outdoorsy you are, and your kids are little. When my kids were under 10, they had rubber rainboots. Now as teens they have hiking boots that are generally water-repellant. Costco is an excellent source for low-cost rain gear. If your kids play soccer and you are going to be standing in fall weather for 2 hours a week, you will probably want some kind of waterproof boots for yourself as well. I love my Merrells. 

Edited by NorthwestMom
  • Like 4

My family is relocating to the Seattle area. Everyone keeps telling me the importance of having good rain boots and good rain gear. The problem is that I have no idea what makes for good rain gear. Do boots go over regular shoes? If not, do kids carry tennis shoes to change into once they get to school? What kind of jacket works best? I appreciate your advice!

how much time outside in the rain are you talking about?   and understand - "rain" here, is predominantly "drizzle".   there's a reason for intermittent windshield wipers . . . .  it's not heavy.  it can "rain". day. long. . . and maybe total 1/2".  (if it's coming down 'hard' - you might get an inch in a day.   it is the very rare exception it comes down harder than that.)  not like in the midwest - when you stick your arm out and it's soaked in seconds.

hiking/biking? - you want rain gear that includes gortex/similar because you're out in it the whole time.  and you want breathable.

for just going around town - a rain jacket with a hood.  doesn't even have to be goretex ($$$).   just something that is reasonably impervious to water.  just remember - you want to allow perspiration to evaporate. (which is why goretex is so great.)

rubber boots are worn with socks - and good for kids who want to puddle stomp.  they get more use for those walking through mud.  other wise - regular shoes are fine.  I do like my danskos - just that bit extra of height for the odd wet spot in a parking lot.

dh uses an umbrella - because he'd be wearing wool slacks and didn't want them to get spots.  I hate water on my glasses - but for the most part, I rarely use an umbrella. 

when I was in school - I walked, and used an umbrella.  walking two miles in the rain . . . .

Waterproof hiking boots is what I wear. Kids wear the same unless they are kids who must go through the puddles...then they get rain boots. In my house everyone has 2 coats. A thin one that is just a rain coat. Sometimes it rains a lot but is warm so a warm coat would be too hot. Then we have a warm coat because the winters are cold for a few weeks. Really cold and icy. Last year most of December and all of Jan didn't get above freezing much so the raincoats would have been insufficient.

• Like 1

Who is telling you that you need good rain gear?  Is it people in Seattle?

People here are known for not using umbrellas or raincoats or acting in any way differently because it's raining.  Most of the time the rain is quite light and a fleece jacket will do just fine.  And I've never had rain boots.

dh has a cartoon from eons ago of visitor (holding an umbrella) to seattle asking a native about the rain...  "what rain?"  

in the cartoon - it's pouring rain.

keep in mind - the rain can also be cold - so it's nice to have a fleece something underneath.

there's a reason we joke we can tell non-natives by their umbrellas. . . .

And nobody uses umbrellas but the elderly and visiters. In fact...many wear shorts in the rain until it gets too cold.

. . . and sometimes . .. . even below freezing . . . . I finally made a deal with 2ds he could wear shorts as long as he had a sweater/jacket . . . . . he'd leave them on the playground . . . . I'm sure if he was in a job he could wear shorts - he would.  I did fork out for really good flipflops since he wears them everywhere but work.

I grew up in the PNW, Canada side. One thing that I would add is that when you pick out general all purpose shoes try to pick ones that don't have mesh, canvas or open tops. My parents were broke and they would routinely buy canvas shoes for me. My feet would be soaked in minutes. Now I try to always consider how waterproof/resistant my children's running shoes are and I don't buy woman's dress shoes that are open topped. Full leather or suede works very well. You can even spray them down with waterproofing spray. There are other options though too.

I had heard all of the warnings about umbrellas. I guess I'm trying to imagine what kind of shoes I will go running in? And if my kids are walking to the school bus in tennis shoes, I'll have to re-think the kind of shoes I buy them. I appreciate everyone's comments.

Wait and see what the other kids wear. They may wear hiking boots or some other type.

The rain won't really come in earnest until November, you have time.

I always exercised in regular tennis shoes.  As others said, most of the time you'd be going out for a walk/run, it would just be misty/drizzle. 

• Like 1

I had heard all of the warnings about umbrellas. I guess I'm trying to imagine what kind of shoes I will go running in? And if my kids are walking to the school bus in tennis shoes, I'll have to re-think the kind of shoes I buy them. I appreciate everyone's comments.

I run in regular mesh running shoes and synthetic socks.  My shoes and socks get wet.  I remove the footbed liner from the shoes and usually they're dry by the next day.

When I was younger and ran multiple days in a row, I alternated two pairs of shoes so I would always start out the run with a dry pair.

• Like 1

depends on specific situation and school's rules, if any...

At age of your kids: Bog Boots (often rain or shine, outside and if not against school rules inside also, they could run and climb in them just fine) ideally with pull handles when very young.  Less expensive brand if necessary, but I found Bogs lasted and were used such that cost per wearing was not as high as some less durable versions. Fleece or wool tops. Waterproof top layer and sometimes bottom layer, but less expensive than Gortex. Gloves. Ear covering hat. Turtlenecks. Long Johns / or what name you will. Warm socks. 

DS is a runner and now as a teen wears his Cross Country or Track and Field shoes all day every day, pretty much. These have been of various brands, New Balance, Adidas, Brooks.  He runs almost every day. They usually will dry overnight if set upside down on forced air heater register.

We  have waterproof SWAT boots also. And I have waterproof TEVA boots.

• Like 1

If you watch kids' soccer games, you want rain boots, rain pants you can slip on over your jeans, a rain jacket with hood over your fleece, and a large umbrella. No one feels stupid with an umbrella at kids' sports events!

My kids are now in school and don't wear any special rain gear. Most common shoes at the high school level are Birkenstocks, Converse, Nikes, Ugg-style boots in winter--none of these are really water proof. But the schools are indoor-spaces (unlike many CA schools). My dds rarely wear anything heavier than a hoodie, though everyone needs a warm jacket for those cold/snowy/icy weeks.

• Like 2

If you watch kids' soccer games, you want rain boots, rain pants you can slip on over your jeans, a rain jacket with hood over your fleece, and a large umbrella. No one feels stupid with an umbrella at kids' sports events!

My kids are now in school and don't wear any special rain gear. Most common shoes at the high school level are Birkenstocks, Converse, Nikes, Ugg-style boots in winter--none of these are really water proof. But the schools are indoor-spaces (unlike many CA schools). My dds rarely wear anything heavier than a hoodie, though everyone needs a warm jacket for those cold/snowy/icy weeks.

there were some school building up here that were "outdoor". obviously california architecture.  what were they thinking!?!?  hello?? it "rains nine months of the year in seattle".  big eye roll.  I'm seeing a lot of them being torn down.  not just because all the hallways are outside and you need a coat just to go to the office - but they are impossible to secure from anyone wandering onto campus.

• Like 2

Well, going on year 4 here and I haven't gone out to buy specific rain gear for all of us.  We already had waterproof hiking boots.  We already owned rain coats.  I camp and hike a lot, so I just bought a new rain coat from Cabela's I'm hoping will keep me dry AND not be too hot.  We will see how breathable it is.  I hope to get DD a rain coat as well this year.  The boys don't camp/hike in winter anymore so they can deal with what we have.  

I have old rain boots but never bought new ones.  I can think of 2 times I wish DD had rain boots.  I'll try to grab her a cheap pair this fall as well.  

It's a drizzle.  If it's cold your winter coat is probably fine.  It will keep you dry and warm.  

but we are outdoorsy people and still haven't gone through the process of buying rain gear.  I borrowed rain pants once and it was too hot to hike in, so now I just deal with wet legs.  I think we own one pair of gaiters for hiking but no one has used them....

I run in regular mesh running shoes and synthetic socks.  My shoes and socks get wet.  I remove the footbed liner from the shoes and usually they're dry by the next day.

When I was younger and ran multiple days in a row, I alternated two pairs of shoes so I would always start out the run with a dry pair.

I agree.  You can get running shoes that have a Gore-Tex lining if you want.  I tend to just get wet feet and then change afterwards - it's not much different from having sweaty feet.  I'm in Scotland.