Menu

And just like that, I'm a former homeschooler

sassenach

I hope your dd loves her new school, and that you don't feel sad about not homeschooling her any more. After all these years, this will be a big change for you -- do you have any fun plans for your newfound free time?

I started college classes last year, so I'll be doing more of that. Dh remarked this evening that only he and the dog are not in school.  :rofl:

I found that it took an entire school year just to let go of my past, and move on in a new direction.  You will need to "de-school".  Give yourself some time to rest, relax, declutter, and re-group.  Enjoy!

Thanks for this. I do feel a little taken aback by the emotional rollercoaster that the day has been. I thought I was ready for this, but now I'm not feeling so ready! I feel like I'm on the verge of losing an entire friend group, too. They'll still be my friends, but we just won't see each other as much. It's sad.

• Like 5

BTDT.  We decided mid-year grade 8, on a Thursday and ds started school on Monday.  It was a shock!  Two years later, we got another shock, though, and we homeschooled one more year.  So you never know!  But give yourself some time to make a new life.  Suzanne said it well upthread.

I'm sending 5/6 kids this year too. Wow, it's a weird weird feeling. I was so excited a few months ago to send them, but now that it's actually really going to happen (and I can't change my mind, as I've done about 5 times) it feels really sad and like a huge loss. But that's because I'm remembering the good times-the field trips, the science experiments, all of the great literature. I'm not remembering so well the tantrums, the tears, the ugly side of me that came out waaay too often, and everything else that didn't work.

But the good thing is, even with all of the screw ups, my soon to be 5th grader said he might be open to coming home for 6th. So I guess nothing is set in stone. But mommy needs a serious break-and we'll just see how it goes. It's kind of freeing to just try something new though-change can be so good!

Edited by Meadowlark
  • Like 1