Menu

VERY Quick help: Interview and dress for teen (and update!)

DawnM

UPDATE!

He GOT the job!!!!!!!!!  I am in tears I am so excited for him!

Original post:

My oldest son has his first interview.  It is for an internship for school, although it is with a company and he will get a stipend at the end (if he gets the position.)  He has a really good shot as he has worked with them a bit before and has a professor's endorsement. 

However, they emailed him this afternoon about an interview for tomorrow at 8am.   

How professionally should he dress?  This is for an art studio type place (not paint, think digital stuff.)

He has a nice white button down oxford and a pair of docker type black pants.  He wants to wear his tan vest and it does look nice with this and makes him look quite "artsy."

The problem?  He has NO SHOES!  He has black tennis shoes or Sperry Top Siders in brown.

Do we head out before the stores close tonight and buy shoes?  Does he need a tie?

What do you guys think?

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 6

If he's worked for them before, he probably has the best handle on what might or might not work.  I think the clothes you described are fine.  For shoes, I would head out tonight and buy them.  I would not wear black tennis shoes with the outfit you describe, and I don't know what "sperry top siders" are.  But I think with a white shirt, black slacks and a tan vest, I would think black dress shoes would be best. 

Top Siders are tan boat shoes, like these:

http://www.sperry.com/en/boat-shoes/

I guess I should say, they have seen his work because he has helped the former interns, but it has been on campus, not at their office in an official capacity.  So, he still needs to make an impression.

If either of his shoes are in good shape, I think they'd be fine. Clean them up if needed. Are the sneakers running shoes or solid black Chucks? The black sneakers might blend in with the pants and be more unobtrusive, but the Sperrys are probably better shoes and might clean up/polish better.

Take a look at the company website. If it's very "corporate" looking, maybe go for the tie and get dress shoes. If it seems very casual, he'll probably be fine.

DH interviewed for graphic art jobs in a suit, the interviewer had ripped jeans and a band tshirt.

• Like 2

Top Siders are tan boat shoes, like these:

http://www.sperry.com/en/boat-shoes/

I guess I should say, they have seen his work because he has helped the former interns, but it has been on campus, not at their office in an official capacity. So, he still needs to make an impression.

I know what Sperry's are. Not with dress pants for an interview. Yes he's worked there before but this is a "job" interview. It's better to overdress than underdress.

Lol. We were typing at the same time :coolgleamA:

The interviewer already has the job.

I vote go out and get dress shoes. They don't have to be snazzy, they just have to match enough to not draw attention to his feet, kwim? So no sneakers or boat shoes, just plain black dress loafers or laceups.

• Like 1

Oh, and we thought he had to be up there by 8am for an interview....which confused me because the original email said 11am.

Turns out son's Android is still on West Coast time and he didn't reset it.

So, interview is at 11am.   :laugh:

• Like 2

He says it went really well, but no word yet.

When he walked in, the guy interviewing him commented and said, "You look like an artist." :lol:

DS said the guy interviewing him was wearing a T-shirt and a hoodie.

Lol as I said upthread, the interviewer already HAS a job. 😄

Hope they get back to your son soon. The waiting to hear back is so hard!

• Like 2

He says it went really well, but no word yet.

When he walked in, the guy interviewing him commented and said, "You look like an artist."   :lol:

DS said the guy interviewing him was wearing a T-shirt and a hoodie.

bumping:  He GOT the job/internship!

CONGRATS!!!

My favorite "artist place" dress code was one that specified for client meetings: More jeans than holes, and no gory death metal band shirts

• Like 2

It was funny, he wore the black skinny pants, white button down, and the tan/tweed vest.  He also has long hair (past his shoulders).  When he walked in, the interviewer said, "You look like an artist!"

He definitely marches to his own drum.

• Like 6

CONGRATS!!!

My favorite "artist place" dress code was one that specified for client meetings: More jeans than holes, and no gory death metal band shirts

HA!

Thanks for the congrats.  I cried I was so happy for him.

• Like 1

:party: :party: :party:

I would be crying, too! I'm so happy for him! (And I'm happy for you, too, because waiting and worrying about whether or not he would get the job was probably harder on you than it was on him!)

That's such an amazing accomplishment. It's almost impossible to get an opportunity like that, so your son must have some incredibly impressive skills -- and he must have a great personality, too, because I'm sure a lot of other people were trying to get that job! :hurray:

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

:party: :party: :party:

I would be crying, too! I'm so happy for him! (And I'm happy for you, too, because waiting and worrying about whether or not he would get the job was probably harder on you than it was on him!)

That's such an amazing accomplishment. It's almost impossible to get an opportunity like that, so your son must have some incredibly impressive skills -- and he must have a great personality, too, because I'm sure a lot of other people were trying to get that job! :hurray:

Definitely lots of competition.  To say I was a bit shocked is allowed, right?  He isn't a people person, so I was worried.  He is VERY good at what he does, but he needs to make a good impression first.

It was funny, he wore the black skinny pants, white button down, and the tan/tweed vest.  He also has long hair (past his shoulders).  When he walked in, the interviewer said, "You look like an artist!"

He definitely marches to his own drum.

CONGRATULATIONS! This sounds like the place for him!  :hurray:

• Like 1