Menu

WWYD? Work situation

StaceyinLA

Been running errands all day so I'm gonna reply all at once.

What a total b*tch. Good riddance to her. My petty side would hope that she ends up paying more and not getting what she wants since she was so rude to you.

I have to admit to keeping my fingers crossed she can't get any of the discounts at all now. I know it's rude, but I can't help it.

I think so many people believe "the customer is always right" and that is just not true. She wanted you to fall on your sword and offer deeper discounts to make up for what she saw as your error. Spoiled brat.

I agree, although I usually lean toward believing that, in this case it really was a simple miscommunication. I definitely accepted responsibility for missing the text (even though it really wasn't in the same context as the other offer, so I still question that it was made clear enough to make me realize she meant it with regards to the potential offer), and I located her a very good offer, as well as realizing the offer wouldn't have been available for her anyway (which I basically verified with two different Disney employees today). Bottom line is, in this instance it would have made ZERO difference.

She used your time and agent status, and is now doing an end run around you to deal with Disney directly?

Yes. That's exactly what she's doing. Basically she'll have to send in a form to separate herself from my services. It goes to Disney and they contact my agency to get the reservation released. Technically since I made the reservation, I own it. She, nor Disney, can make changes to it unless she goes through these steps. I've already contacted my agency to let them know all the details. The Disney employee told me Disney looks at things like this very carefully, because they know some people do complain about ridiculous things, so it likely won't cause any type of issue for me/my agency. I mean I know people who've had agents forget to make their fast passes! I'm not super worried about it other than from the standpoint of my own pride. It really frustrates me.

Wow.

If this is how she treats friends of her family, I don't even want to think about how she must treat strangers. :eek:

What an arrogant little snot. :glare:

Though her mom and I are not close friends, we are more than just acquaintances (it's her mom that told her to call me about planning her trip). I do feel like she has been pretty disrespectful during this process. I immediately had her a discounted room booked and she stopped even acknowledging my texts immediately. It was just ridiculous.

I kind of hope it rains on her vacation....but of course that would ruin it for the other folks there. So maybe just a little storm cloud that follows her around.

Can't say this hasn't crossed my mind. I would've worked very hard to plan her a really great trip, but there is certainly a part of me that hopes she isn't quite as successful.

The gist of this for me is that my dislike of the mere idea of going to Disney is very well founded.

It's sounds too exhausting and stressful for me to even dredge up wanting to plan it.

And that's where I would come in! It's actually a pretty darn fun vacation!

One more thing - at this point in the situation, her reservations are still under my agent ID. I know she is wanting to separate herself from me, but she has asked me to give her a week so Disney has time to take over everything (and basically get stuff approved from my agency to drop me).

Part of me really just wants to cancel everything I have booked thus far so I can have myself completely separated from this (I mean I feel like she didn't even have the decency to give me any benefit of the doubt or speak to me about other options before she went straight to Disney, and she totally ignored my messages as well). The part of me that is a decent human being wants to leave it so she doesn't lose everything that's booked (though my decent side is feeling small at the moment).

WWYD?

• Like 1

One more thing - at this point in the situation, her reservations are still under my agent ID. I know she is wanting to separate herself from me, but she has asked me to give her a week so Disney has time to take over everything (and basically get stuff approved from my agency to drop me).

Part of me really just wants to cancel everything I have booked thus far so I can have myself completely separated from this (I mean I feel like she didn't even have the decency to give me any benefit of the doubt or speak to me about other options before she went straight to Disney, and she totally ignored my messages as well). The part of me that is a decent human being wants to leave it so she doesn't lose everything that's booked (though my decent side is feeling small at the moment).

WWYD?

I would want to cancel her reservations too, but I wouldn't do it.  :)

• Like 4

WWYD?

I'd cancel them and be done with it. I wouldn't waste anymore time on her and waiting around for Disney to ask you to release the reservations pr whatever is wasting your time. She did not show you the respect you deserve after all the work you did for her, she should not get to benefit from your hard work without you getting compensated.

• Like 3

WWYD?

So she wants the reservations that you spent time booking, but doesn't want you to be compensated for your work?  Am I understanding that correctly?  If so, she seems to be a petty person.  

I'd not cancel the reservations,  but I'd also not respond to her messages over the next week.  I'd probably send one final email to acknowledge her request to not cancel for a week, and then cancel if things aren't finished by then.  

• Like 2

How does your agency usually proceed with something like this? I'm assuming you're an outside agent - do you have a responsibility to the agency owner/management in situations like this?

If there is no agency policy and your agency owner doesn't have a say in what you do, and the client has made it clear she is done with you, I'd be done with her, too. Sever that relationship by canceling the reservations. Isn't it good etiquette to release reservations when you no longer have a client needing them? Well, you no longer have this person as a client. Technically they're not her reservations, they're yours, and you no longer need them.

If you are compensated solely by commission, and you will receive no commission, and your agency will receive no commission, I would cancel the reservations. Is there any possibility it would be interpreted as malicious (not according to the ex-client, but according to business practices). Do you know other agents who've cancelled reservations in a similar situation?

• Like 5

WWYD?

If the reservations do not have an automatic expiration that is relatively short I would send an email stating that you will be cancelling the reservations in one week on 8/12/17, since she has directed you to not longer work on the account. Then do it.

If she sends anymore communication by anything other than email, respond only through email stating that you can only communicate through email, restate that she asked you to stop work and the reservations are being cancelled on 8/12/17.

And in future no matter how nice the client direct all communication through email.

I suspect Disney has people who do this crap regularly. It happens in other fields to have a contractor do a bunch of legwork and then have the client decide the contractor isn't doing what they want and try to go around the contractor to get whatever they perceive is better.

• Like 4

How does your agency usually proceed with something like this? I'm assuming you're an outside agent - do you have a responsibility to the agency owner/management in situations like this?

If there is no agency policy and your agency owner doesn't have a say in what you do, and the client has made it clear she is done with you, I'd be done with her, too. Sever that relationship by canceling the reservations. Isn't it good etiquette to release reservations when you no longer have a client needing them? Well, you no longer have this person as a client. Technically they're not her reservations, they're yours, and you no longer need them.

If you are compensated solely by commission, and you will receive no commission, and your agency will receive no commission, I would cancel the reservations. Is there any possibility it would be interpreted as malicious (not according to the ex-client, but according to business practices). Do you know other agents who've cancelled reservations in a similar situation?

Good advice.

Your time is gone, lost, you can't get it back. :-( But your reputation is intact. In your shoes, I would make sure my actions followed agency/industry norms, pretty much CYA, even if it means woman benefits from your work. I would also keep a close eye on her social media. If she tries to smear you, you will have a new set of problems.

But part of me hopes that your client has a very difficult time navigating reservations herself.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 4

WWYD?

I would email her back and tell her you will have to find out what your agency wants you to do. And then do that.

• Like 1

Good advice.

Your time is gone, lost, you can't get it back. :-( But your reputation is intact. In your shoes, I would make sure my actions followed agency/industry norms, pretty much CYA, even if it means woman benefits from your work. I would also keep a close eye on her social media. If she tries to smear you, you will have a new set of problems.

But part of me hopes that your client has a very difficult time navigating reservations herself.

I agree. It's not worth the momentary satisfaction canceling would give you if it means greater problems later. If she ends up losing the reservation because she's trying to now navigate it on her own, you want to be able to point to company policy--and have that back you up 100%--if she raises a fuss. Which she probably will.

• Like 3

I'd be checking with my agency to see how they wanted me to handle it at this point - then following their advice.

I'm sorry to read that she's been such a jerk after you'd spent so much time getting her what she wanted.  She should read about how "good" my son's "travel expert" was for comparison and be thankful you were getting her what she wanted IMO.

I'd also be curious to see what offers Disney gave her directly.  Part of me is very curious as to whether they will meet her desires with discounts just to get her business after she was unhappy (customer is always right) or whether she'll end up paying more (deals are no longer available).  From a business point of view, I could see it going either way.  One works in your favor and the other doesn't...

• Like 1