Menu

Hit me with your US History recommendations (secular)

YaelAldrich

Looking to fill in a hole in the kids' education.  Need a terrific US history curriculum for a mom who must have slept through her US History classes in school!   Secular please.  Multi-age would be a big bonus - I have a 7yo, 10yo, and 13yo - they can all read above grade level.

Thanks in advance!

After much mucking about, we went with Hakim's History of US--the concise version from K12.  I've actually used both versions in in their entirety (meaning I've read both aloud), and the concise version is far superior to the original, and for us, worth every penny.

It's not a history program though, just a spine.  The program would be the online course from K12 (which I have not used). 

• Like 3

We used Learning Adventures our first time through U.S. history.  It's not secular, but it can be since bible is easily removed.  I supplemented a LOT, even though we enjoyed the literature selections and unit topics.

I have this one bookmarked for next year: Our Land Publications.  Someone mentioned it on here and since my son loves the newspaper format books we have (Roman Times, Egyptian Times, etc), I thought this along with readers would make a fantastic year for him.

• Like 1

Level 2 of History Odyssey is pretty great and it has always felt secular to me. I haven't looked through the modern history but have seen ancient and middle ages. I did not like their level 1 but like I said level 2 is good stuff. Pandia press, same group who does Real Science Odyssey does it.

Concise History of US published by K12 would be better than the 11 volume Hakim series given your age ranges. I have both sets. 

I agree--the format is more kid friendly, with bigger font and color pictures.  The content is streamlined (a huge plus in my view, as I thought the original wandered way too much) but the content is at the same level as the original.

I didn't like the tone of Hakim, personally. Something about it just grated on my nerves.

I used History Odyssey Level 2 Early Modern and Modern with the k12 Human Odyssey books for my daughter. It was good for world history but not great for US-specific. It really only hits the major highlights -- fine for world history but not much for US. My son is about to be a seventh grader. Neither he nor I liked the way it looked when we took out just the US parts of History Odyssey. He said, "Ugh, I already know this stuff." And he's right.

Sooooo, after much deliberation, I ordered Notgrass's America the Beautiful for him. It goes more in depth into US history and hits some less-mentioned topics. And it includes a ton of primary source stuff too. He likes the looks of it, and I have high hopes that it'll be a good fit. He's a good reader but slow. The words seem a little easier than Human Odyssey (which he used for ancients and medieval and liked), but that will hopefully let him handle more pages a day.

Would you still suggest the concise version of Hakim if you knew I had two history buffs reading the material?  The 13yo and the 7yo love history - reading Kingfisher (the white cover) over and over....

Maybe I have to get both?  LOL

Edited by YaelAldrich

Happypamama, I looked at Notgrass but they say the Christianity is pretty integral to the material. That won't work for me. :) Have you gone through it enough to tell me if that is true or not?

It is integral. We are conservative Christian and it is a bit much for even us. Plus it's kind of dry. I'm still looking for that US history I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Would you still suggest the concise version of Hakim if you knew I had two history buffs reading the material? The 13yo and the 7yo love history - reading Kingfisher (the white cover) over and over....

Maybe I have to get both? LOL

I have not seen nor used the concise version. I have both the hard copy and audio version of the full version. My 7yo history buff loves the full version. She loves the chatty, meandering style. She does not love the small print, but that's why we have the audio version.

• Like 1

Would you still suggest the concise version of Hakim if you knew I had two history buffs reading the material?  The 13yo and the 7yo love history - reading Kingfisher (the white cover) over and over....

Maybe I have to get both?  LOL

Not a curriculum, but have they seen The Making of America (published by National Geographic)?

Setting history buffs loose with books is not a bad way of taking care of U.S. history!