Menu

Animal people, a question

MeaganS

We recently moved to a house with a fair amount of forested land. There was a wild cat that lives here, but yesterday we discovered at least 4 kittens walking around our driveway and they've been hanging around our house. Should we just let them be or take them to a humane society? Two of the kittens really like my girls and keep following them around. We won't be keeping them as pets though.

I know very little about cats so don't know what is recommended.

Catch the kittens and get them to a shelter for re-homing. When they are little, they're easy to tame and can still have a good life. In a few months, it'll be much harder or impossible to tame them. 

Catch the momma cat and get her spayed (and vaccinated) ASAP. Then you can let her loose if you like, or, better, if she's tame enough, try to find her a home. If she's really feral, then her best option is likely to be leave her where she is once you've spayed and vaccinated her. (Have the vet "tip her ear" when he spays her to mark her as "done" so other people don't try to re-spay her at a later date.) 

Call your vet for advice on catching and how/where to spay/rehome/etc. Many communities have ways to get this done for free. 

• Like 3

Some humane societies have high-kill rates, even for kittens. :( I'd straight up ask them, "What are the odds these kittens will be adopted as opposed to euthanized?" If they won't give you a straight answer, I'd look for a no-kill cat shelter or fostering organization in your area (or do that first). You can search for shelters and rescue groups at petfinder.com.  

I agree with getting mama cat spayed and vaccinated. A TNR group would likely be able to help with trapping or at least loan you a trap. This website is a good place to start looking for information and help. If she truly is feral and needs to remain outside, she should be very useful to you for rodent control. She will appreciate any food or shelter you're able to offer her, especially in the winter.

OK. I'll take the kittens in for sure. I'm not sure if I can catch the mom or not. But if the babies can be adopted, that would be awesome. They are very adorable and sweet.

Excellent!! The kittens will likely find good homes quickly. 

Your vet and/or local humane societies or rescue groups likely have traps that you can borrow. (For instance, our vet hospital has one that we gladly lend out for this purpose, for free, with a deposit that ensures we can replace the trap if it doesn't get returned.) The traps are safe, humane, and fairly easy to use. 

If you don't get momma cat spayed, you will have a new batch of kittens in about 3 months. Rinse, repeat, at least a couple times a year until she dies (which won't be too long, usually). She's probably already pregnant again (but she can be spayed pregnant, and should be since she's feral, IMHO.) Cats get pregnant again rapidly after having their litter. This will happen each time she has a litter. 

TNR the mom. If the kittens are tame, contact a shelter or rescue organization about rehoming them. If they're not, and the shelter is a kill shelter, it may be best to TNR the kittens too unless you can foster the kittens. (But be warned - fostering is how people get new cats!)

• Like 1

The girls have been playing with one kitten in particular all day. And dh is thinking he maybe wants them to get to keep it. Said kitten is sitting outside our front door mewing because the girls came in for the first time in hours and left it alone. So... I might be on here in a few days to ask about what to do with a new pet kitten. 😊

There is a tnr program and shelter nearby. Both aren't open until Monday so I'll call them then.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 5

There are programs in our area that will do feral cats/kittens for $5 each sometimes, other times free.  If you can trap mama like others said that would be idea.  I don't know your climate but there are instructions on line on how to make a nice warm "house" for the cats for winter.  The kittens can stay outside if you don't want an indoor cat.  just get them fixed and be warned that not all outdoor cats have 9 lives.

We took in 2 feral cats to be our "barn cats".  They are very very timid.  In fact this morning was the first time in likely 2 months I have even seen the black one.  The orange one won't let us pet him but we catch sight of him more often.  I just put out food and water daily for them and they have shelter in our barn.  I have cats for rodent control and they have a life of "ease" compared to where they were on the streets in the city or being put down.

Honestly, I wouldn't have just one kitten. I firmly believe that kittens do better in pairs or trios* - and it's not any harder to care for two cats than it is to care for one. Adopt two of them, give the other two to a rescue organization, if that's what you're aiming at :)

* And I'm not the only one! The shelters here won't give away solo kittens unless you already have a cat at home.

• Like 2

Honestly, I wouldn't have just one kitten. I firmly believe that kittens do better in pairs or trios* - and it's not any harder to care for two cats than it is to care for one. Adopt two of them, give the other two to a rescue organization, if that's what you're aiming at :)

* And I'm not the only one! The shelters here won't give away solo kittens unless you already have a cat at home.

:iagree:

I think it is actually easier to have two (or three  ;) ) kittens because they keep each other company. Plus, it is so much fun to watch them grow up together. 

• Like 2

When you mentioned wild cat and kittens I was picturing a wildcat--as in, large carnivore I would not want around my children.

Since we are talking about domestic cats I second the notion of keeping two kittens--they'll be happier together.

• Like 1