Menu

Can you help this Starbucks neophyte?

Pegasus

I rarely venture into a Starbucks but when I do, I get an iced coffee. I've never been able to figure out the sizing so usually try to describe what I want.  The last couple of times (months apart at different stores) I asked for the largest size available and I'm pretty sure that I've been given a venti size cup.  It really doesn't seem very big, especially because it is filled with ice.

BUT, I keep seeing things online about the huge (trenta?) cups available for iced drinks.  Are these only available in certain stores?  Do they have them but not use them unless you call them by name? Why wouldn't "the largest size" request get me the largest size?

This might help

"What are the sizes of Starbucks drinks?

Published 01/21/2015 07:06 AM | Updated 07/20/2017 04:31 PM

The drink sizes we currently offer are Short [8 fl. oz.], Tall [12 fl. oz.], Grande [16 fl. oz.], Venti® Hot [20 fl. oz.], Venti® Cold [24 fl. oz.] and Trenta®* Cold [31 fl. oz.].

*Only available for Teavana® Shaken Iced Tea, Teavana® Shaken Iced Tea Lemonade, Iced Coffee, Cold Brew and Starbucks Refreshers®." https://customerservice.starbucks.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3113

ETA:

Trenta is the biggest size for iced coffee https://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/brewed-coffee/iced-coffee#size=11006148&sweetened=1

Edited by Arcadia

A Trenta cup holds an entire bottle of wine.   :lol:

Trenta is not available at all stores, so it varies by location, and the default large is the venti, so I can see where they would want you to specifically ask for a trenta to get one.   I ordered a trenta iced coffee once and drank it for two days.  It really was a LOT of coffee, but DH will get them every once in a while.

Also, you can ask for "light ice" and they will put less ice in your iced coffees if that is of interest for you.  

• Like 3

I never order coffee at Starbucks, and usually avoid them in favor of Dunk in Donuts or even a reputable gas station, just because I don't know what to order that I will actually like. I'm not going to pay an arm for something that tastes yucky. And why can't they just name their sizes small, medium, large, extra-large? Too much drama and confusion... maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough.

• Like 5

I never order coffee at Starbucks, and usually avoid them in favor of Dunk in Donuts or even a reputable gas station, just because I don't know what to order that I will actually like. I'm not going to pay an arm for something that tastes yucky. And why can't they just name their sizes small, medium, large, extra-large? Too much drama and confusion... maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough.

If I have to go because I've been invited or something, I just get an iced tea, usually in whatever size the person I am with ordered for their drink.  It's just easier.

• Like 1

What I like about Starbucks is that you can order EXACTLY what you want, even off menu, and the baristas are supposed to make it for you.

You could order an iced coffee in a trenta cup. You can order it in a trenta with no ice for so much coffee.

You can also order a cold brew coffee (the kind they water down) **straight**, so it's suuuuper strong. That's also a good trick.

I like to order hot coffee in an upsized cup, so you can add cream but still get 16 or whatever ounces of coffee, so "grande in a venti cup."

I have done these things in the name of caffeine.

I probably annoy the poop out of the baristas, but I always tip so I hope it evens out. 

• Like 6

I probably annoy the poop out of the baristas, but I always tip so I hope it evens out.

As a many (many) year barista/store manager (DH and I met as baristas at Sbux), I would say you're far from tipping the meter on demanding customers or ridiculous requests.

As to some other posts, there will always be people who love to hate Starbucks, and that's fine. But I wish people didn't feel intimidated. I assure you, baristas aren't cooler than you, it's not a secret society, and these days (there was certainly a snooty barista era, not denying) I don't think they expect you to know how everything works. In the morning rush, I'm sure it can feel intimidating, but I've had hundreds of people describe what they like, and then I've made something for them that sounded like it fit the bill. And if they didn't like it, I made them something else. It's super common, I swear.

• Like 4

What I like about Starbucks is that you can order EXACTLY what you want, even off menu, and the baristas are supposed to make it for you.

You could order an iced coffee in a trenta cup. You can order it in a trenta with no ice for so much coffee.

You can also order a cold brew coffee (the kind they water down) **straight**, so it's suuuuper strong. That's also a good trick.

I like to order hot coffee in an upsized cup, so you can add cream but still get 16 or whatever ounces of coffee, so "grande in a venti cup."

I have done these things in the name of caffeine.

I think we might be soul mates.

on the flip side, for those of us that love our coffee drinks but can't have as much caffeine (trying not to wire the nursing baby), they can customize for that too. I get a Tall Iced Americano, and since that has two shots of espresso in it I ask for half caff....they put one regular shot and one decaf in it. Perfect! I also ask for cream and two splenda, and get that. With a smile, generally to go with it. 

I don't like the taste of their brewed coffee, but their iced americano is delicious. 

As to some other posts, there will always be people who love to hate Starbucks, and that's fine. But I wish people didn't feel intimidated. I assure you, baristas aren't cooler than you, it's not a secret society, and these days (there was certainly a snooty barista era, not denying) I don't think they expect you to know how everything works. In the morning rush, I'm sure it can feel intimidating, but I've had hundreds of people describe what they like, and then I've made something for them that sounded like it fit the bill. And if they didn't like it, I made them something else. It's super common, I swear.

:iagree:

And, yes, you can just ask for a small, medium, or large. They know the Starbucks term for those sizes, so it's really not a problem.

I'm always asking how many pumps of syrup are going in different sizes (because I can't remember) & I like a lot less syrup in my drinks than many do.

Seriously, Starbucks focuses on customer service, the baristas are nice, & you can ask questions/get help or get a replacement drink if you don't like the one you get.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1