Menu

Happy update on Mom's party

iamonlyone

I couldn't find my older post on this topic when I searched; for some reason I am not seeing current (last few years) posts in my content. But I wanted to send an update.

Recap: Mom had huge 80th bday party on Sunday. She is in late stage of pancreatic cancer. I invited her estranged brother (about 15 years' breach) and was concerned he might be angry with me for the invite.

Update: The party started at 11 a.m. (Dinner from 11–2 and snacks from 2–4.) Several people asked me if brother and wife were coming, and I didn't know, but doubted they would. About 2 p.m., I was carrying things to my mom's sister's car, and the brother and wife pulled up beside us to say hi. They showed up!!

I saw my mom and uncle talking quietly together. Later I told my mom how glad I was to see Uncle there and asked my mom how the conversation had gone. She said she gave him a hug and said she had missed him and that he said he had missed her too, and then they quietly and comfortably caught each other up on life.

I'm so, so thankful they reconnected. They were very close in earlier life, and my mom was brokenhearted to be cold-shouldered (left out of family gatherings, etc.) after my grandma's death.

Thank you for all who encouraged me after I had sent the invitation that it was the right thing to do.

• Like 32

I'm so happy to have read your update -- I got tears in my eyes as I read it. :) I was hoping he would show up, and I'm so glad you thought to invite him. I'm sure it meant so much to both your mom and her brother to get to spend some time together and set aside old grudges.

• Like 2