Menu

Attaching patches---help!

Rachel

My son shot in his first archery competition and got a couple patches. He would like to put them on his bow case.

I'm at a loss as to how to do it. The material is way too heavy for hand sewing and I'm not sure if ironing them on will ruin the case. I could try machine sewing, but I don't have any heavy duty needles. Any ideas?

Here's the type of case:

https://eastonarchery.com/product/genesis-bowcase-4014/

You can grab heavier needles at Joanns, and sew them on at low-ish speed to maximize piercing and minimize deflection of the needle. I'm not a huge glue fan because they can peel a bit in the wash.

You can grab heavier needles at Joanns, and sew them on at low-ish speed to maximize piercing and minimize deflection of the needle. I'm not a huge glue fan because they can peel a bit in the wash.

The case is not washable.

I had my son bring it in a little bit ago. It's really thick fabric, with foam between the layers, I'd guess it's at least 1/4" thick in the thinnest part. I think it would require a commercial machine to sew it.

If it's not washable, what are the odds that he'll ever need to remove the badges? If they're going to live out their days in that case, you might as well hot glue them. Dd did Girl Scouts for years and I hand sewed all of those patches, but I occasionally needed to move them and this was my ballet-waiting-room activity. I used a heavy duty needle and a thimble. Some patches were tougher than others.

• Like 1

I don't sew through badges if I don't have to.  Around the edge is usually a binding.  If you flip the badge over you can see where it's sewn on.  I do an invisible stitch running through the binding thread and around its stitches.  Baste first, then sew, and it should be pretty easy.  It's how I got my son's scout patches on his uniform and still having usable pockets.

ETA: misunderstood.  Whoops!  But I wonder if it might still work because you're going through the single layer.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 1

If it's not washable, what are the odds that he'll ever need to remove the badges? If they're going to live out their days in that case, you might as well hot glue them. Dd did Girl Scouts for years and I hand sewed all of those patches, but I occasionally needed to move them and this was my ballet-waiting-room activity. I used a heavy duty needle and a thimble. Some patches were tougher than others.

I doubt he would ever remove them. He's 9, someday if he upgrades bows he would probably upgrade cases too.

I think I'm going to glue them.

If someone else can sew them, that's great!  If you just want a quick fix, can you staple them?  I once saw a scout master with stapled patches on his uniform.  One staple at the top of the patch, and one at the bottom.  You really couldn't tell as he had stapled right near the edge (but I was sitting right behind him during a very long program).   

Just an idea!

• Like 1

That Badge Magic looks VERY cool.

As someone who still has her last Girl Scout vest from the early 90s, I will tell you that hot glue does not stand the test of time.  It always worked in a pinch when I needed to slap things on for events, but it completely dries out eventually and loses all hold.