Menu

communication with a hair stylist

I would love a checklist of how to describe a haircut.  I swear that hair stylists just do whatever they want to do to me.  What does trim mean to you?  Multiple inches off in the layers?  A 2 inch difference throughout the bangs?  I loved my former hairdresser of about 5 years.  He crashed and burned and now I'm looking for someone who doesn't cost $50 for 30min of work but can still trim my hair in a sensible manner. 

:rant:

So, I just googled 'communication with hair stylist' but couldn't read between the millions of advertisements.  Give me your best tips.  Anyone got a checklist?

• Like 3

I don't go to the stylist ever without a photo. I've been going to my stylist for 2.5 years now and I love her.

But I still bring a photo every time.

Same for my kids.

The stylists have so many clients that I don't see how they can remember everyone's preferences.

Go on to Pinterest for a jillion hair photos.

Alley

• Like 1

I got all super intense about it one time. I walked in and said, "My daughter wants this cut (picture on cell phone). I'm very paranoid because the last two people we went to did whatever they wanted which was not at all what I asked for. Tell me honestly, do you think you can copy this cut?" She studied the picture on the phone and we talked about it, and she even called me over when she was midway through the cut to look at it some more. It was perfect. But she works for Supercuts (yeah I know, but those previous two cuts had come from more expensive salons, so I was just over it by that point). And Supercuts won't take appointments. The best I can do is call them up ahead of time and ask when she works so I can show up and ask for her. I did that twice and she was in the middle of a color and the wait was over an hour. So I got recommendations from a friend who adores her stylist. She's more expensive than Supercuts, that's for sure, but so far I like her. We'll see. Both Oldest and I need a haircut soon and we'll be going to her.

• Like 2

It's usually helpful if you have a picture of what you want if you're making any major changes to the length, amount of layering, color, curl, style, bangs, etc. find a photo of your hair cut by your old stylist, it might be helpful to show what you liked.

Come in to the appointment with your hair styled as you normally wear it. That way the stylist can see what it looks like, how you work with your hair, and you can tell them what you like and don't like about it and show them what you want to change or how much length you want taken off or which parts you're trying to grow longer. Let the stylist know how much time you will realistically spend doing your hair, and how often. I've been cutting my mom's hair for 30 years, and she wanted something that her hair would not do without about 30 mins of drying, curling, and fussing, every day- with touch-ups midday to maintain the style. I knew better, but she had to learn the hard way LOL!

A "trim" usually means keep the same style, but remove the same amount of length all over. If it's been six months since your last cut, the hair would have grown about three inches so that would be a "trim" for you, but if it's only been six weeks, 1/2 - 1 inch is more appropriate. (Assuming there is no major damage, split ends, or uneven previous haircut)

Whether the stylist removes 1/2 inch or 12 inches, it's the same amount of work, so pricing doesn't change. $50 is low high-end here, but not unreasonable.

Something to do to find a stylist who might be a good fit: when you see someone with hair like yours in a style you like, stop them and ask who does their hair. You'll know the person does well with your hair type. I was always better with curly hair and short men's cuts, so I built up a lot of regulars with those hair types.

For a new stylist, just tell them you've had miscommunications before and would like to talk about your hair before it's shampooed and throughout the haircut so there aren't any misunderstandings. Sometimes, even with great communication, the same thing means different things to each of you. Best example from my salon days: a guy asked to have his hair cut "over his ears" so I gave him a nice short haircut, but what he meant was "covering his ears." Thankfully, he was a good sport about it. People always asked for things like "three layers" but that isn't how layers work.

A final thought: they really DO mean it when they say to let them know if the cut isn't working out. Even if youve gone home and at the end of the week you realize it isn't right. A good stylist would rather fix it and have you be happy, and hopefully return next time, than have you unhappy and telling everyone how horrible the salon is.

• Like 1

I got all super intense about it one time. I walked in and said, "My daughter wants this cut (picture on cell phone). I'm very paranoid because the last two people we went to did whatever they wanted which was not at all what I asked for. Tell me honestly, do you think you can copy this cut?" She studied the picture on the phone and we talked about it, and she even called me over when she was midway through the cut to look at it some more. It was perfect. But she works for Supercuts (yeah I know, but those previous two cuts had come from more expensive salons, so I was just over it by that point). And Supercuts won't take appointments. The best I can do is call them up ahead of time and ask when she works so I can show up and ask for her. I did that twice and she was in the middle of a color and the wait was over an hour. So I got recommendations from a friend who adores her stylist. She's more expensive than Supercuts, that's for sure, but so far I like her. We'll see. Both Oldest and I need a haircut soon and we'll be going to her.

Awesome!

In most areas, the stylists all went to the same twomormthree beauty schools and had the same training. You can get a great $12 haircut and a crappy $120 haircut. Some people really are just very good and worth every penny, and others are good and need the convenience or scheduling flexibility of working at walk-in type salons. I've worked in both.

Honestly, if someone charges a steep rate, it usually means they know what they are doing. A good haircut is worth it.

I agree. I know a couple I would highly recommend, but they are an hour or so south of you.

Bring a picture. Front view? Side view? Back view? All 3? Is my WTM profile picture good enough?

I try to show as many angles as possible. I also usually show my stylist a picture of what I really *don't* like/want.

• Like 1

Bring a picture.  Front view?  Side view?  Back view?  All 3?  Is my WTM profile picture good enough?

As many views as you can find. If your profile pic is what you want, bring that... printed is best, since the stylist can set it on their station. If you only have the picture on your profile here, I have not yet found a way to see anybody's picture larger than a postage stamp size, so if it's just a tiny picture on your phone it's better than nothing, but might not be as helpful as a larger picture.

Picture doesn't have to be a professional 8x10 or anything, doesn't matter if your kitchen is a mess in the background, doesn't matter if you're wearing stained sweats (although WHY would someone snap your picture in those, LOL!) as long as the hair is clear.

Argh! How frustrating! Your profile picture is probably perfect because those are the parts you care the most about. If they pick up scissors without talking about what you want in the sides and back, ask them what their plan is for those parts (and then cross them off your return-to list).