Menu

replacement key for car

ProudGrandma

we now have 3 drivers in our family and I want to get my daughter her own key to the vehicle that she will be driving....but our dealership wants to charge us over $100 to cut us a key and program it. 

Do we have any other options?  If not, then we will just play pass the key...which is fine...but I think she likes the idea of having her own key.

• Like 1

I got a quote once on the fob? (the thing with buttons for my car keychain). It was expensive :( I got the quote from a place that was not where we got the car. We got the car from a dealership. I imagine they are all high if that's what you're talking about. Dh and I didn't want to pay that much so he has a regular key and I have the fob on my keychain. But lately it sounds like it's dying so I don't know what I'll have to pay to update the battery if it's going out.

It depends on the kind of key you need.  I'm dealing with this right now. 

We just bought a used car and the owners had only one key.  I went to a lock shop to get some spares and they said the car requires a programmed key.  I forget the word for it.  It's not just a key; there's a chip in it that is required to start the car. (A regular key would open the door, but that's all.)  The cost was $90.  A key fob with the remote to open door, etc., would have been more.  

ETA: transponder.  It communicates with the car in order to start it. Anti-theft device I guess. But, it's not an optional special key. 

ETA2: My husband and I were talking about this tonight. He said that all the newer cars have the chips or transponders.  I hadn't known that; we have always had old cars that just used a regular key. I didn't know that our CR-V had a chip in it.  He said in our area $90 is not a bad price and the dealer would charge at least $200. 

Edited by marbel

Do you have a True Value Hardware by you?  I was able to get a key made from my existing key fob for only $40.  They were able to cut and program it.  The only negative is that it will just start the car, not open the doors, but for a spare it is fine. 

In late April 2016, we were behind a young couple in the line for Dollar Rent a Car in Orlando. Apparently, they had, on a previous rental, lost the key to their rental car or something. They had their own key. I think they said that cost them approximately USD $250?

My husband bought a blank key off eBay, got a local guy to make the key, then programmed it himself using instructions online. It was kind of a pain and we had no guarantee it would work, but we also weren't paying $100 for two keys.

You can get some keys made anywhere but the ones that have a chip in them are harder to get done.

• Like 2

I can't get into, or start my car without my keys. It is not a key at all. Just a doohidley that has to be near the car for the car to start. 300$ to replace.

I told my mom it's dumb that it's not just made smaller and fashioned into a necklace. Or put on a phone case.