Menu

best place to get to know Abraham Lincoln?

zaichiki

Im from southern Illinois and the Lincoln Library im Springfield is really nice. Wish I still lived close so I could take my girls! We also used to visit Salem, IL on field trips. Its been a long time since I've been, but they had recreated cabins that us children thought were cool.

• Like 1

Im from southern Illinois and the Lincoln Library im Springfield is really nice. Wish I still lived close so I could take my girls! We also used to visit New Salem, IL on field trips. Its been a long time since I've been, but the historic area has (or had) recreated cabins that us children thought were cool.

Edited by tdbates78

I've not been to the IN and KY sites, but the 2x I've been to Springfield have been great.  We went to New Salem (recreated pioneer village mentioned above where AL lived as a young man), and the Lincoln Library/Museum, which I thought was fantastic.  Also took a tour of his house and visited his gravesite.  My girls get to go there next year for a school field trip, and I'm jealous!

• Like 1

We've been to his boyhood home in Indiana. It was interesting, but didn't talk much about his life past his teenage years. We did learn about his parents and saw his mother's grave. They also talked about his first time as a lawyer - defending himself.  In the summer they have re-enactors in a pioneer type village. Since we went in the spring, we didn't see them, but I'm sure they're good. 

• Like 1

I agree with Springfield, il. We took my history loving guy there and he was so happy. The museum was informative and well put together. We also went to the different historic buildings there and saw his home. We never made it to the other sites as it was colder and we were only there for a few hours but it was a fun educational trip.

• Like 1

Kentucky has a boyhood home and birthplace within 15 minutes of each other. They are pretty interesting but unless you are pretty close or combining a trip with something else like Mammoth Cave, you may not want to travel too far to see it.

Lexington, about an hour from Lincoln's birthplace also has the Mary Todd Lincoln House.

• Like 1