Menu

audiobooks for 6 YO boy?

Any audiobooks suggestions for a 6 YO boy who isn't keen on books in general?  He liked Arthur chapter books as audiobooks for a while, and some of Beatrix Potter's stories, and listened to some of The Green Ember, Ember Falls, and The Black Star of Kingston (action books that I'd guess are geared toward middle school kids).  I guess he's eclectic in his tastes lol...but there isn't very much that he'll listen to.  

I'm not saying it is quality literature at all but my 6yr old boy is obsessed with boxcar children books (that is what he always picks when he has free choice).

Others he has enjoyed that I chose:

Fudge books by Judy Blume

Clementine books

Beverly Cleary books

BFG

Farmer Boy

He also really likes these books he listened to with older brothers:

Percy Jackson

Harry Potter

Series of Unfortunate Events

• Like 1

I've been surprised in what my boys have liked. They definitely love stuff on audio that they'd never stand to read themselves. I'm trying to think what ds (a boy that drags his feet to read ANYTHING) listened to when he was six, but some of this might be seven year old crossover...

The Secret Garden

The Jungle Book

Caddie Woodlawn

Little Women (seriously​ both my kids lived lw!)

Anne Of Green Gables

Alice in Wonderland

Fifty Famous Stories Retold

Robin Hood

The Two Headed Dragon

Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare

The Little Duke

Parable From Nature

Children of Noisy Village

I'm not saying it is quality literature at all but my 6yr old boy is obsessed with boxcar children books (that is what he always picks when he has free choice).

Others he has enjoyed that I chose:

Fudge books by Judy Blume

Clementine books

Beverly Cleary books

BFG

Farmer Boy

He also really likes these books he listened to with older brothers:

Percy Jackson

Harry Potter

Series of Unfortunate Events

This is pretty close to my 6 year old boys' list as well :) They especially adored Fudge. Other favorites of theirs was Chocolate Touch, No Flying in the House, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, and recently (which surprised me) Half Magic.

I wish my boys wanted to listen to more of my classic favorites but alas they want to laugh :)

Half Magic was a win for me because I loved it as a child and the language is complicated but so well written.

• Like 1

My ds loved the SOTW audiobooks at that age. Other favorites that I can think of off the top of my head were Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, Peter and the Starcatchers, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the LHOTP books (especially Farmer Boy), Henry Huggins, The Boxcar Children, and Pippi Longstocking.

ETA: I never would have expected my kids to have liked Pippi, but they both found her hilarious.

Just thought of a couple more -- Homer Price was a real favorite. Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web.

Edited by OnMyOwn

My current 6 year old likes a lot of the ones mentioned

The Children of Noisy Village( she loves this one)

The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place

Just So Stories

The Fudge Series

Beverly Cleary books

Boxcar Children series

Clementine series

Winnie the Pooh series

Some Roald Dahl books ( Danny Champion of the World and Matilda)

Little House in the Prairie series

The Moffats

My ds also enjoys the books the op's ds enjoys. He's CRAZY for Beverly Cleary, but he also likes things you wouldn't expect like Teaching Company courses. Today he was listening to George vs. George. You just never know. He likes the Rush Limbaugh books. I try to put a variety of things on there. He likes Boxcar. He likes adult history books as well. There was a book on medicine he liked (Demon under the microscope? I forget), War in the Pacific, etc. 

The My Father's Dragon series! You can buy all three together on Amazon or individually.

They may also be available for free at other sites.

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon: My Father's Dragon; Elmer and the Dragon; The Dragons of Blueland

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Tales-My-Fathers-Dragon/dp/B01J28F7N0/ref=pd_sim_129_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01J28F7N0&pd_rd_r=Z6BAEVP5DZQHGRSTC4JX&pd_rd_w=ledxr&pd_rd_wg=cTusi&psc=1&refRID=Z6BAEVP5DZQHGRSTC4JX

The My Father's Dragon series! You can buy all three together on Amazon or individually.

They may also be available for free at other sites.

Three Tales of My Father's Dragon: My Father's Dragon; Elmer and the Dragon; The Dragons of Blueland

https://www.amazon.com/Three-Tales-My-Fathers-Dragon/dp/B01J28F7N0/ref=pd_sim_129_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01J28F7N0&pd_rd_r=Z6BAEVP5DZQHGRSTC4JX&pd_rd_w=ledxr&pd_rd_wg=cTusi&psc=1&refRID=Z6BAEVP5DZQHGRSTC4JX

The version of My Father's Dragon on LibriVox is absolutely adorable.

My son really liked the Thorton Burgess animal books at that age. Also, pretty much everything on kayray.org.