Menu

Speed queen models

madteaparty

So the very fancy (to me) LG washer that came with this house leaks. There is a tray underneath, and the water is contained (mostly? maybe?), but it is now smelling like mold and mildew and I am paranoid. So I am getting another one because wiping water off this tray is nonsense and I cannot get to all of it (also, my washer and drier are on the main level--I pass them by a million times a day and the smell makes me miserable.

The speed queen--everything states how expensive they are, but it seems it's around $800? I don't want fancy, because fancy does not work. I need a basic washer. I dry clean the clothes that need something more than basic.

Any reason not to get the very basic model? I do tend to overstuff a little, because I am used to laundrymats....

I plan to buy a Speed Queen, and I'm getting the top loader with mechanical controls.

My husband has a good friend who used to own a laundrymat, and he says that the mechanically controlled ones are easiest to maintain and less likely to break down as well.

And I'm getting the top loader because I don't trust front loaders as well from leaking perspective and I have plenty of room to open the top where I'm putting it.

I hear that it's unlikely that I will be able to fit a CA king sized blanket into this machine.  I'm keeping my old machine in the basement for that.  I hate it with the fire of 10,000 suns, but it's good enough to wash the occasional blanket or comforter.  Supposedly king sized sheets will fit just fine.

I cannot WAIT.

• Like 3

I plan to buy a Speed Queen, and I'm getting the top loader with mechanical controls.

My husband has a good friend who used to own a laundrymat, and he says that the mechanically controlled ones are easiest to maintain and less likely to break down as well.

And I'm getting the top loader because I don't trust front loaders as well from leaking perspective and I have plenty of room to open the top where I'm putting it.

I hear that it's unlikely that I will be able to fit a CA king sized blanket into this machine.  I'm keeping my old machine in the basement for that.  I hate it with the fire of 10,000 suns, but it's good enough to wash the occasional blanket or comforter.  Supposedly king sized sheets will fit just fine.

I cannot WAIT.

That's the one I want. And I don't have King sized things, but I do sometimes wash both kids' sheets at the same time, which I guess is the same thing.. Thank you.

• Like 1

I do queen sized things, including the comforter, in mine with no trouble. The only thing that I own that's too big is a double sleeping bag that doesn't zip apart. I just run that to the laundromat on the rare occasions it needs to be washed.

You can get the lowest model. The motors are the same, you just get more cycles with the pricier models. The basic HAS all the cycles I use.

• Like 3

Our very fancy LG washer also started leaking after two years, as well, and so we ditched it and got the baseline Speed Queen model. We are perfectly happy with it; it cleans like a champ, and we stuff it full of clothes each week. The baseline model is fine.

So the very fancy (to me) LG washer that came with this house leaks. There is a tray underneath, and the water is contained (mostly? maybe?), but it is now smelling like mold and mildew and I am paranoid. So I am getting another one because wiping water off this tray is nonsense and I cannot get to all of it (also, my washer and drier are on the main level--I pass them by a million times a day and the smell makes me miserable.

The speed queen--everything states how expensive they are, but it seems it's around $800? I don't want fancy, because fancy does not work. I need a basic washer. I dry clean the clothes that need something more than basic.

Any reason not to get the very basic model? I do tend to overstuff a little, because I am used to laundrymats....

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

I do queen sized things, including the comforter, in mine with no trouble. The only thing that I own that's too big is a double sleeping bag that doesn't zip apart. I just run that to the laundromat on the rare occasions it needs to be washed.

You can get the lowest model. The motors are the same, you just get more cycles with the pricier models. The basic HAS all the cycles I use.

This.
  • Like 1

I love my SQ. I ditched my moldy LG a few months ago. It does hold a surprising amount but I probably overload it on occasion. I do wish I would have looked into the electronic version though, there are a few features that I miss (timer so I can get the load ready at night and have it start in the morning or extra spin cycle so my clothes dry faster). I have no idea if the other version offers these things but I should have looked into it.

Over all super happy with it!

Following.

When we move we don't plan to take our current w/d with us, so I will be in the market for a new one.  I am considering a SQ.

Although, since my husband is handy, he can fix things.  We have had our current Kenmore for 14 years.  It has been fixed once, by my husband.

I have an old workhorse of a Kenmore washing machine. Toploader, old, fills up nice and full of water, mechanical knobs. It was made before they started making all these flimsy front loaders that die after two years. It's well over 14 years old at this point. It came with the house and I've had the house for 14 years, so, I've no idea how old it actually is. At first, I was jealous of all the new fancy models with their electric buttons and all the fancy options, until I started reading on here about how flimsy they are.

I'll be getting a Speed Queen when/if my old dinosaur Kenmore finally dies. It's good to know that the basic model sounds comparable to what I have--dependable and gets the job done. I've even considered pre-buying one and letting it sit in the basement until the Kenmore dies, just in case something happens to the Speed Queen company and they're suddenly not available when I finally need one.

• Like 1

I got a SQ top loader, but I did choose to go with the electronic controls simply because the warranty on that model is longer than the warranty for the manual dial model. I am jinxed when it comes to washers so I wanted all of the help I could get. :)

After 35 or more years, my Kenmore was finally no longer worth repairing. My trusted repair guy insisted I get the Speed Queen, even though it meant we likely wouldn't see him again for a long long time.

We got the lowest priced top loader with mechanical controls. Around $800, but we were spending about $125/month at the laundromat

Edited by Rebel Yell

I have an old workhorse of a Kenmore washing machine. Toploader, old, fills up nice and full of water, mechanical knobs. It was made before they started making all these flimsy front loaders that die after two years. It's well over 14 years old at this point. It came with the house and I've had the house for 14 years, so, I've no idea how old it actually is. At first, I was jealous of all the new fancy models with their electric buttons and all the fancy options, until I started reading on here about how flimsy they are.

I'll be getting a Speed Queen when/if my old dinosaur Kenmore finally dies. It's good to know that the basic model sounds comparable to what I have--dependable and gets the job done. I've even considered pre-buying one and letting it sit in the basement until the Kenmore dies, just in case something happens to the Speed Queen company and they're suddenly not available when I finally need one.

You might want to do this for real and not just dream of it.  Right now the Speed Queens that are available are made the way they've been made for 30 or more years.  But the government has gotten involved and insisted they convert them to energy/water saving models.  I believe it went into effect in 2015 and they had 3 years to work through their inventory change their product.  My salesman confirmed that the ones he had were still the old ones and that new ones were in the works but just something to take into consideration if you want a washing machine that actually cleans with large amounts of water if needed.

• Like 2

OK, this is funny. 

Because I, too, have an old Kenmore that runs like a champ.  AND, about 6 months ago I saw another one just like it for sale on the local elist for $50.  The guy claimed it worked just fine but they wanted the features of the newer ones.  So we went and bought it and stashed it in the garage for down the road when ours finally dies.

Still getting a Speed Queen for the cabin, though.  Because even though it would be economical and a good stop gap to bring the garaged Kenmore up there, I figure the Speed Queen will last for the rest of our lives, and also I figure, how long can they keep making it so well if no one else is?

I have a basic one with manual controls. Mine has the switch for an extra rinse. It seems like when I bought mine, there was a model slightly lower that didn't offer that. I'm very very happy with it after 7+ years of dealing with a lemon of a front loader (smelly, leaks, couldn't spin out very small loads, constant expensive repairs, etc). I paid about $850 I think.

You might want to do this for real and not just dream of it.  Right now the Speed Queens that are available are made the way they've been made for 30 or more years.  But the government has gotten involved and insisted they convert them to energy/water saving models.  I believe it went into effect in 2015 and they had 3 years to work through their inventory change their product.  My salesman confirmed that the ones he had were still the old ones and that new ones were in the works but just something to take into consideration if you want a washing machine that actually cleans with large amounts of water if needed.

Oh no!!! They have to ruin everything, don't they.  :glare: