Menu

Questions for Life of Fred user's please...

angela&4boys

LoF is our core and consider it enough.

If a problem comes up where my sons can't complete the bridges, I pull out the appropriate Key to series and suppliment with those.

I've only had to this once for ch 15 in fractions.

I don't think it was a question of not enough problems, just needing to wrap their brain around that concept. Once they "get it", we move on.

We do consider LOF a supplement. We are using Singapore math as our main series. I'm not sure it if because I don't think LOF is enough, but I'm afraid I might skim over something important in the teaching. I also love the Singapore word problems.

We do plan on using the entire LOF series.

We are using it alone now. My oldest dd did the first two books for review, after completing TT pre-algebra. She is now doing the LOF Beginning Algebra with the home companion, which, in my opinion, makes it complete. My youngest will start the series after finishing MUS Delta. If we can afford to get it. :glare:

We've just started using it as a supplement to BJU 5. I love it (though the jury's still out as far as DS10 is concerned) but I don't quite have the nerve to switch to it as our sole program. He's always needed LOTS of reinforcement and review, though. For some kids, LoF is probably plenty.

SBP

along with our regular math program. It cemented the understanding of fractions, at that time, and now decimals. My older son skimmed through Beginning Algebra this summer and my older dd was able to finish Lof fractions in about two months after covering fractions in a regular program. LoF was a nice overview, but, in my opinion and in the opinion of my 12yo dd who doesn't love math, it was NOT enough of a math program to teach her to do fractions at the mastery level for life. Sorry!

along with our regular math program. It cemented the understanding of fractions, at that time, and now decimals. My older son skimmed through Beginning Algebra this summer and my older dd was able to finish Lof fractions in about two months after covering fractions in a regular program. LoF was a nice overview, but, in my opinion and in the opinion of my 12yo dd who doesn't love math, it was NOT enough of a math program to teach her to do fractions at the mastery level for life. Sorry!

I really think this depends on the student. It's been plenty for my middle dd.

Heather