Menu

AoPS Math... build my child's high school math sequence?

She's 12, 7th grade and finishing up AoPS Pre-A. She LOVES it and does well, but this girl is also my liberal arts lover/reader/writer/painter/baker extraordinaire. She rides horses and spends lots of time collecting wild flowers and basically operates at a SLOW pace :-). She started Pre-A halfway through 6th and it'll be about 18 months from start to finish, but we did move cross country in the middle of that.

So here's my dilemma-- she can work at a faster pace, yes, but I really don't want her devoting hours a day to math. Honestly one hour, five days a week, is all I want, for 8th at least. She's got so many other talents and gifts and I want her to continue to have time to pursue life in the fullest degree.

But now I'm worried about not getting through enough math. She's definitely college bound and more than capable of getting through Calc at least (in a standard curriculum) and I'm really tempted to just give her something easier so it takes less time. But she is begging to continue AoPS. She really, really loves it. (Now, she may love something else too, since she's pretty easy going about school work.)

Is it possible to make this work with AoPS? If we somehow complete Intro Algebra in a year, should we skip counting and probability and jump to Geometry for 9th, Int. Algebra for 10th, Pre Calc in 11, and Calc in 12? How much time would you say your student gave to AoPS if they completed this sequence?

Or, should we jump to an easier curriculum and supplement with AoPS alcumus or problem solving books?

You can skip the cp/nt classes, and people have also compacted int algebra/precalc (there is significantly more in there than is required for moving to calculus class), so it really is doable. If she is begging to continue I would highly recommend letting her try it, at least for 8th grade. Even if you don't finish the entire book, she should be ready to transition to any other curriculum if at that point you guys decide it is necessary -- the aops beginning algebra book covers more than a standard algebra 1 class. 

• Like 1

I would suggest that you continue through the Introduction to Algebra and Intro to Geometry books at your own pace. It's fine to take three years (or more) for these two books and then call it Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2.

If she loves Counting and Probability, then you could do that, but it is not necessary.

I'd suggest you reevaluate AoPS after finishing the Introduction books. The Intermediate level books are really written to more those mathy/STEM kids. I'd consider breaking off and doing something else  more traditional for Precalc.

From there you can do statistics or calculus.

• Like 5

You do not need to use Intro to Counting and Probability or Intro to Number Theory unless desired.  They are elective.

There are different approaches to alg 1 vs alg 2.  Some people count the first 13 chapters of Intro to Alg as Alg 1 and the second half of that book as Alg 2.  I tend to see the second half as mixed alg 1/alg 2, and would count the second half of Intro to Alg and the first half of Intermediate Alg as alg 2.  If, in a few years, you find yourself under time pressure, there may be some topics from Intermediate Alg and Precalc that you might be able to skip.  See e.g. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/361425-aops-or-college-algebratrig/?p=3744226

Your dd loves AoPS and is doing well.  Enjoy :)

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 3

You don't have to cover C&T and probability.

You might want to plan for her taking 1.5 to two years for intro to Algebra; it is the heaviest text of the series, and the most important one.

That would still leave her time to complete precalculus in high school, or double up later and even complete calculus.

A thorough algebra mastery is far more important than completing calculus. Take whatever time she needs; it is not a race.

• Like 3

Map out your time.  Estimate how much time she spends on each section and how much is required for review and challenge problems.  (Challenge problems may be skipped.)  For example, my kids spend one day per section (problems and exercises) and 1-3 days each on review and challenge problems.  

Schooling year round helps.  We do that except for vacations and camps.  

You may want to not do AoPS for calculus and choose a class specifically for AP prep instead.  

Your dd is still young and I'm not even sure 18 months is really that long for AoPS prealgebra.  I'd say go on to AoPS Algebra and see how her paces goes each year and reassess.  

Just for what it's worth, I have a degree in math but due to transferring high schools, I was only allowed to take through Pre-calc (really really weak pre-calc) for my Sr. year in high school. It wasn't a huge deal and I wasn't the only one. I think calc is ideal for STEM kids, but strong algebra skills are the most important thing to be gained in high school math. Don't sacrifice this stage of algebra to try and save room for calc. 

• Like 3

Just for what it's worth, I have a degree in math but due to transferring high schools, I was only allowed to take through Pre-calc (really really weak pre-calc) for my Sr. year in high school. It wasn't a huge deal and I wasn't the only one. I think calc is ideal for STEM kids, but strong algebra skills are the most important thing to be gained in high school math. Don't sacrifice this stage of algebra to try and save room for calc. 

Agree with this - only getting through precalc in HS is not a deal breaker for any degree.  Even elite unis assume that students will take calc their freshman year.

That said, if she has done pre-A already, that Algebra text will move quickly (compared to students who did not use AoPS for pre-A).  One year is perfectly doable, though you may find that hour a day bleeding a little beyond an hour.  Ours finished it in under 9 months.

The Precalc book can be done in one semester, but there's no need to rush it.

If she loves AoPS, let her keep it up.  It will serve her well into the future.

• Like 1

AOPS classes have no live component, correct? They are all asynchronous? And the classes are sessions where kids/instructors type at each other? Are the videos they provide in addition to the videos available online to the public? I am a bit confused and would appreciate clarification from anyone who has taken a class through them.

AOPS classes have no live component, correct? They are all asynchronous? And the classes are sessions where kids/instructors type at each other? Are the videos they provide in addition to the videos available online to the public? I am a bit confused and would appreciate clarification from anyone who has taken a class through them.

The classes are live but are chat based. You're typing in real time with your classmates and instructors. The videos are available to anyone on their website, but they only cover some of the Intro level books.

If you want a live class with teacher talking look into the Well Trained Mind Academy's AOPS classes. Trinqueta has done Alg 1 and Alg2 with Mrs. Quintero and LOVES this class. It's her absolute favorite.

• Like 1

The AoPS classes use a text-based format.  They are very well moderated, so there is no "cross-talk."  If you have any specific questions about them, please feel free to ask.  My DD is about to finish up her eighth AoPS class, so we are very familiar with how they operate.  And, obviously, they work for us.

The videos are freely available, but they only go through Introduction to Algebra.  There are some videos that cover topics past that, but they are buried within competition-prep and can be a bit challenging to find (IMO.)

The AoPS classes use a text-based format.  They are very well moderated, so there is no "cross-talk."  If you have any specific questions about them, please feel free to ask.  My DD is about to finish up her eighth AoPS class, so we are very familiar with how they operate.  And, obviously, they work for us.

The videos are freely available, but they only go through Introduction to Algebra.  There are some videos that cover topics past that, but they are buried within competition-prep and can be a bit challenging to find (IMO.)

Honestly, I was a bit surprised by the text-based format. DS seems to be enjoying his AMC class. We have done AOPS without a formal class up to now, but I am thinking about doing a class online for him next year. I am struggling with WTM or AOPS for geometry. Now if I only lived close to an AOPS academy...sigh..

• Like 1

Honestly, I was a bit surprised by the text-based format. DS seems to be enjoying his AMC class. We have done AOPS without a formal class up to now, but I am thinking about doing a class online for him next year. I am struggling with WTM or AOPS for geometry. Now if I only lived close to an AOPS academy...sigh..

I know, right?  Before we began, it seemed a bit awkward to Dinosaur Mom here, but DD quickly adapted and loves it.  I wonder if it's because most people can read and process content more quickly when it is text based (vs. live speech)?

I know, right?  Before we began, it seemed a bit awkward to Dinosaur Mom here, but DD quickly adapted and loves it.  I wonder if it's because most people can read and process content more quickly when it is text based (vs. live speech)?

They may also use this format because it permits more than one conversation to be going on at the same time via the whispering feature.

They may also use this format because it permits more than one conversation to be going on at the same time via the whispering feature.

True, but many other online classes are conducted in which the teacher speaks and the students use the chat feature.  AoPS is the only one that I know of (although I am certainly no font of exhaustive knowledge here!) that uses an exclusively text-based format.