Menu

Get 'er done Geometry over the summer?

Hi everyone,

Pardon the long post, but I am trying to get my thoughts in order. 

Dd is somewhat math phobic and math is just not getting done in a timely manner to keep her on schedule to have enough math to be competitive for college.  I hang my head in shame because I majored in Math in college, but life events are making it hard for me to stay on top of this. 

PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME.  Yes, I have fallen down on my duties to her in this regard.  I do not need any more recriminations because I am beating myself up every day.   If you feel the need to shame me, stop reading and move along.  I really can't take it.

Dd is finishing up (more like half-way through) Algebra 2.  We went straight into that after Algebra 1 because she was taking some harder science classes and needed that math.  Plus, she intuitively knew much of the Geometry from Singapore Math in the elementary years and general math activities we have done over the years.  Based upon her SAT test prep and her PSAT scores, she did well on the geometry portions.  But she has not done a full class.  She hasn't mastered proofs.  Proofs are important to me because it is excellent logic training.   

Math is not her favorite subject, by far.  Which is why, when she is overloaded with homework (very often), it falls to the bottom of the pile because she is only disappointing Mom and doesn't have other teachers or peers to disappoint.  She is a part-time student at the local high school and is taking a heavy load right now - excelling, but stressed by the workload - 3 APs.   She is holding her own in AP Physics 1, but has to work very hard for those A's and B's.  She aces the homework, but is doing worse on the exams due to lack of speed.  She doesn't expect to get higher than a 3 on the exam unless the teacher's exams are much harder than the actual test.  

She really needs to get Geometry done.  I was hoping to have her do an online class this summer ... something with outside deadlines, but asynchronous would be ideal due to her training schedule.  I looked at our community college and they do not have an online Geometry (they have just about everything else.)  The live, in-person class would be hard for her to do.   That would be a last resort.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Derek Owens is asynchronous. You can start at anytime and do it at your own rate. This could be a problem as she might procrastinate - I'm not sure. 

It sounds like she's had some geometry. You could skip or skim the sections she already knows or do his worksheet homework, but skip the textbook problems. You could email him and get his suggestions.

There was another thread a few weeks ago looking for online summer geometry. I think there are several places that are offering it this summer. Derek Owens, of course, always has geometry available, but no outside deadlines. Ditto for something like TabletClass.

Mr D math, CLRC, maybe Kolbe? have some combo. I'll see if I can find the thread later and link it, or someone else might be able to get to it first.

I know I am forgetting some providers that offer summer classes. It will be pretty intense to squish a whole year into the summer months!!

• Like 1

Derek Owens is asynchronous. You can start at anytime and do it at your own rate. This could be a problem as she might procrastinate - I'm not sure. 

It sounds like she's had some geometry. You could skip or skim the sections she already knows or do his worksheet homework, but skip the textbook problems. You could email him and get his suggestions.

Thanks.  I had looked at that, but she really needs due dates.  We could do Khan Academy for free (but she probably wouldn't get as much proof practice.)  The problem isn't learning the material.  The problem is needing structure to keep up and outside accountability.

Mr. D. Math has online full-length courses over the summer.   They meet via virtual classroom on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 11 weeks.

This looks interesting.  Dd may have to miss a few classes or two due to her competition travel schedule.  I didn't see any FAQ on the website.  Is there a problem with that?  Has anyone had any experience with that? 

This looks interesting.  Dd may have to miss a few classes or two due to her competition travel schedule.  I didn't see any FAQ on the website.  Is there a problem with that?  Has anyone had any experience with that? 

Someone asked that in the comments and he said to contact him before signing up, but that class sessions are recorded.

• Like 1

Keys to Geometry, maybe?  It's broken down into 8 thin workbooks.

https://www.amazon.com/Key-Geometry-Books-George-Gearhart/dp/1559531010

My own feeling and experience is (though others might disagree), if there is any math you could do quickly over the summer and get away with it, it's Geometry.  

Thanks for the info.  We have 3 geometry text books and Khan Academy.  Her issue isn't the wrong materials.  She needs the structure and accountability of a class. 

• Like 1

Homeschool Connections

http://homeschoolconnectionsonline.com/

has prerecorded classes and assignments/tests/answer keys. It's $30/month and you can pay extra for teacher grading and extra extra for tutoring. They have courses that use both Saxon and Brown, Jurgenson.

I would seriously consider cutting out some topics that were covered in depth in Singapore Math. They seem to do quite a bit of SAT geometry. I noticed that too when Trinqueta took the SAT a couple of years ago. She knew most of the geometry topics covered.

I haven't used HC but I did look into them carefully and would use them if I needed to.

• Like 1

If she has enough geometry to do well on the SAT/ACT and all you are looking for is training in logical thinking. I would skip geometry and keep going with math and have her take a programming class.  The logic requirements of programming are very similar to geometry and programming is a skill that is in great need across all fields today. If you want her to learn formal proof-writing, I am not sure that is actually a useful unless she plans to major in math, in which case you can teach her or she will take in introductory proof-writing course at college.

• Like 1

If she has enough geometry to do well on the SAT/ACT and all you are looking for is training in logical thinking. I would skip geometry and keep going with math and have her take a programming class.  The logic requirements of programming are very similar to geometry and programming is a skill that is in great need across all fields today. If you want her to learn formal proof-writing, I am not sure that is actually a useful unless she plans to major in math, in which case you can teach her or she will take in introductory proof-writing course at college.

You know, I had thought about that.  But, a couple of the colleges she wants to apply to want a Geometry class on the transcript and I don't think she has enough to call a class.  She has holes, for sure.  She may take a programming class next year or do it as part of 4-H. 

I checked around. Looks like CLRC has a summer intensive, but it is $500 and requires some sort of specialized software. 

I think the Mr. D math option might be best, but I don't know anything about his classes.

I looked at that as well.  It seemed pricey, but the time it meets has some advantages over Mr. D.'s class.  And disadvantages.

Homeschool Connections

http://homeschoolconnectionsonline.com/

has prerecorded classes and assignments/tests/answer keys. It's $30/month and you can pay extra for teacher grading and extra extra for tutoring. They have courses that use both Saxon and Brown, Jurgenson.

I would seriously consider cutting out some topics that were covered in depth in Singapore Math. They seem to do quite a bit of SAT geometry. I noticed that too when Trinqueta took the SAT a couple of years ago. She knew most of the geometry topics covered.

I haven't used HC but I did look into them carefully and would use them if I needed to.

This looks interesting.  I'll check it out. 

Thanks for all the input.  It helps me to talk about options to get things clearer in my head.  Dd is home from the SAT and she agrees that she needs an outside class with accountability.  We are also looking into having her take precalc/trig online from our local community college next fall.  That will mean all of her classes will be outsourced next year (most at the high school and some online classes) and I will only be "the principal". 

Someone asked that in the comments and he said to contact him before signing up, but that class sessions are recorded.

Thanks.  I sent him a message.  He seems to be the most affordable option I am running into. 

My kids have done the summer readiness classes with Mr. D. (Algebra I readiness and Pre-Algebra readiness), and they are live online sessions.   I don't know if the full-year summer courses are live or recorded, but the asynchronous Mr. D. math (curriculum-only option) is pre-recorded video instruction.   Mr. D. is very good about responding to emails and his programs are excellent.  

During the regular school year, he offers help sessions 3 times per week with a live instructor (regardless of whether you are taking an online class, live class at a co-op, or using the asynchronous software-only).    The curriculum is a mastery-based program, with spiral review sections built in after every 3 sections.   My DS has taken Algebra I and Geometry, and my DD has taken Pre-Algebra, both through a local co-op using Mr. D.

• Like 1