Menu

New Neighbors--Noisy Music

Garga

The house next door was bought by someone who is renting it out--I don't know the landlords. The new renters have lived in it for about 2 months.  The weather has been nice this week.  The neighbors have been outside in their yard around a fire pit with a radio going.

My windows are shut, but I can hear their music from every room in my house. Every room.  It's not loud enough to make out the words.  I can just hear the basic rhythm of each song--sort of like someone tunelessly humming almost under their breath next to me, with a driving drum beat.  

For hours.  And hours.  Yesterday it started around 6 and went until about 11.  Five hours of hearing someone tunelessly hum everywhere I went.  

Today it started around 6 again.  It's been an hour and a half.

I do not know these people.  When they moved in, I walked across the yard to say hi and introduce myself (we are very close to each other in small little 1950s post-war houses.)   They didn't smile, but just sort of stared at me and said, "Hi."  Not exactly mean, but you could tell they were thinking, "Huh?  Why is a neighbor in our yard?  We want to be left alone while we move in."  We exchanged names really fast and then they all sort of turned around and walked away without any, "Nice to meet you!" or "See you around!" or anything.  I felt a little odd and then walked back home figuring they were busy.  

So....how do I troop over there and tell them the music is too loud?  I don't think I can do it without coaching on exactly what to say and what body language and tone of voice to use.  I don't want to start a war.  I'm not mad.  I just want the humming and drumming to stop.  I like my silence in my own home.

Edited by Garga_

And you know what?  A couple at church today had a full-fledged, full volume conversation, including laughing, during communion today.  The music was going, so I think they thought we couldn't hear...but when you talk at regular volume the people in front of you can hear every word and laugh, even with music playing.  

I also wondered how to turn around and tell them to knock it off.  I just don't know how to handle this stuff without it coming across as combative, which I don't want to be.

Edited by Garga

Btdt.

I called​ the non-emergency number to ask what time music needed to be turned down. They told me that any time I was bothered to call.

I feel bad but it was everyday long into the night.

One time parties I would never call.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 2

Btdt.

I called​ the non-emergency number to ask what time music needed to be turned down. They told me that any time I was bothered to call.

I feel bad but it was everyday long into the night.

One time parties I would never call.

Good point about a one-time party.  Yeah, I don't care about those.  

But I'm remembering that we've heard the music a couple of times last month as well, but we ignored it thinking it was a one-time party or two.  But today will mark the 4th or so time in 2 months, so it seems to be a thing for them.  :(

Ear plugs.

I know!  

I already wear earplugs at church, earplugs at my weekly movie, and earplugs all night long.  I'll be living my whole life in earplugs at this rate.  

The music stopped, so it was only 2 hours today.  It's a blessed relief.  The silence is beautiful.

• Like 1

Every weekend my next-door neighbors crank up their sound system in their garage and open their garage door. They get pretty drunk, so sometimes we are treated to shrieking-laughing and their version of karaoke. At first we were pretty friendly with them, so I went out there and told them that the way the houses are oriented makes the sound hit my bedroom windows directly, so it is quite loud in my house, and I go to bed by 10. That didn't work. Once I went out on my porch at 11pm and asked their kids to stop screaming as nicely as I could. The dad got snippy and said something about how they would like to not hear dogs barking in the morning. I asked if they were talking about my dogs, and he didn't answer. There are dogs behind their house that bark quite often through the night and early morning, so I don't think he was actually accusing me of letting my dogs bark unless he is totally stupid (possible), but I lost all sympathy right there.

I tried calling the non-emergency police, but we are only serviced by state troopers and they really don't want to deal with noise complaints. It makes my blood pressure rise and makes me feel nutty to have that droning, never-ending bass.

So from then on I stopped being so anal about my dogs barking at the door in the morning (we're talking one brief bark to let me know they want back in). Sometimes I let them bark a few times, especially on Saturday and Sunday mornings. I gave up on sleeping with windows open on Friday and Saturday nights and tried to get used to a fan. I found a brand of earplugs that don't bother me too much. And I glare at their house through my window and shake my fist at them, and wish that they would move.

I would let your new neighbors know that you don't want to sound bossy, but the houses in the neighborhood are so close together that the sound from their radio carries perfectly into your house. Ask if they would mind either keeping it turned down lower or limiting the amount of time they play music outside. And let them know that you will do the same. Maybe bring a plate of cookies if you want. Since there is a chance they just don't realize how much the sound carries, I would give them a heads-up first. Maybe it will work better for you than it did for me. If not, maybe try playing classical music kinda loud in your yard?

We had a neighbor who got a new hot tub. A neighbor on the other side got tired of their loud music hot tub parties. So early one Saturday morning after another Friday night loud party, she got up early to go garage sailong. Before she left she put her boom box outside, pointed it at their bedroom window, cranked up the volume and drove away. They got the message.

• Like 4

I would probably bop along to he music, but if they are playing very loud and very late, I think calling the cops may be a good answer.  They will be able to tell you if there are any local laws about noise, and they can go drive by the neighbors and ask them nicely to hush.  The neighbors will not know exactly who complained, and in all likelihood the desire to avoid another run-in with the cops will be more effective than going over there with a plate of cookies.  :)

Another thought:  go over there in your jammies and start dancing.  [Or send your kids over.]  OK, maybe I need to grow up a little over here.  :p

ETA I am assuming the cops in your area would only nicely warn, not arrest anyone.  I'm not mean-spirited, just practical.  :)

ETAA I might be the wrong person to ask - my kids have told me my loud car music embarrasses them.  :P

Edited by SKL

Get a boom box and play "Never Gonna Give You Up" on repeat.   :laugh:   

My husband is a maker and he programmed one of his little projects to play that particular song over and over and over.  Nearly got a divorce over it.  JK   ;)

• Like 2

Wow, that stinks. Things like this make me glad our closest neighbors are a mile away (although we could still hear them riding their 4 wheelers and screaming this weekend  :glare: ).

Do you know any of your other neighbors well enough that you could ask if they are bothered by the music, too? There could be strength in numbers if you make a complaint to either the offenders or the police.

Good luck & I hope you find a solution!

Get a boom box and play "Never Gonna Give You Up" on repeat.   :laugh:   

My husband is a maker and he programmed one of his little projects to play that particular song over and over and over.  Nearly got a divorce over it.  JK   ;)

Or:  Your Mama Don't Dance

• Like 3

Their music seems to be all 70s and 80s music, so there's a possibility they'd welcome the above song choices. :). They'd hear the music and think, "Our neighbors have great taste in music!" And then they'd come over to my house and start dancing.

That would be a great ending, wouldn't it? We could all end the night singing We Are the Champions together, arms around each other, and become lifelong pals.

• Like 5

4 times in 2 months? Maybe I'm the odd one out but I don't see what the big deal is.  Yes, I realize the music is louder than what you'd like, but honestly, I'd call those good neighbors.  If the music isn't obscene and not being played every day or even every weekend... :confused1:

I have lived in an area with a strict noise ordinance and have called the police to deal with issues before.

Even with the strict ordinance, I do not think it would have applied to the situation you are describing (there were actually decibel levels within certain distances that were measured, with different restrictions at different times of the day).  I also would not want to start there with new neighbors unless I had many other concerns about them.

I am living in a rental house right now.  I am amazed at how much I can hear from my next door neighbor's house.  If they are in their driveway having a normal conversation, I can hear it in my bedroom and laundry room which are on that side of the house.  The house is pre-1940's and has some of the original windows, which just aren't as soundproof as I am accustomed to.  I have even checked to make sure that they are all shut.  This also makes me realize how much they can hear from my house when they are in their driveway.  Last night they were having a party in their backyard and it was much more noisy than I would have liked--but it wasn't because they were being unreasonably loud.

I would suggest baking cookies and going over to welcome them to the neighborhood.  I would say something like, "I am sure after two months you have realized how much sound travels in these old houses that are so close together.  Especially if people are in the back yard, we can hear everything.  I hope my kids and dogs haven't been bothering you..." and see how they react.  

This probably isn't the case, but we had a neighbor moved in next door that was not friendly.  People started saying hello and she would just turn and go inside.  At first, her teen's music was loud and there were some other loud noises coming from the house.  It took me a few weeks to learn, the neighbor was deaf--she was not hearing people saying hello, had no idea how loud noises were, etc.  I was glad we didn't call the police to complain. 

Honestly, that doesn't sound too excessive. People are going to want to be outside in the nice weather, talking and listening to music. 

I'd probably try a bit of soundproofing on my end first. If you have a house that isn't properly sealed and insulated, that is a huge part of the problem. These are just a few examples, you can google sound proofing for more examples. 

Seal any cracks, holes and gaps in doors, windows, and around the baseboards. This is something that should be done anyway, and will help with electrical costs and bugs. 

Add insulation if needed (walls and attic). You can go bit by bit with this, and again it will help with long term costs and comfort. 

Good windows make a big difference, and again, long term benefits! If you can't afford to replace them, even one by one, any type of curtains will help, and they also have noise blocking curtains, not too expensive.

If you're less picky about appearance, plain old blankets will help a good bit, and you might be able to install another rod and just put them up when needed. Blankets will even help when put over doors, until you get around to sealing them properly. 

There are soundproofing panels that can be put on windows or almost anywhere. 

If you have a chimney, you can cap it. 

Certain roof vents are much better than others for blocking noise. 

Definitely check your specific noise ordinances so you have the knowledge, but soundproofing can help a lot. We did as much as we could on our end, because the chances of having neighbors who like to be louder than we like is pretty high. 

You might also scope out their music  setup. It's possible that just shifting the direction of the speakers a bit might help a good deal. 

I think this is a consequence of living near people. The music isn't every night. It isn't past midnight. It isn't every weekend. It isn't so loud you can actually hear the songs, just the "hum" of it. I guess previously you had not had neighbors who enjoyed entertaining outside. 

I can hear every car door. I can hear my neighbors converse outside. My previous dog would get upset and bark when he heard one neighbor (she is our vet and he just didn't like her). My windows are fairly new, but the windows of my room face the parking area in front of our home. My dd's room is a lot more quiet most of the time, with the exception of perfect spring weather when a gazillion children are playing on a large playground that is just beyond our backyard. 

Do people in your neighborhood know eachother. We have two to three block parties a year (Halloween during TOT, July 4 and Memorial Day). It's in the evening. People bring grills out front, it's potluck (with no assignments). Someone sets up music. These gatherings are fun. However, a big advantage is there are neighbors I only see at these gatherings. Casual conversation reveals a lot about people. I've learned some things that are important to some neighbors through these casual gatherings. It makes me more conscientious as a neighbor. Perhaps in a casual atmosphere your new neighbors could meet people and absorb the culture of your neighborhood a bit.