Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW14: Artistic April

Robin M

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like bits and pieces of American Gods so I will finish it. I'm running out of time to complete the reading challenge through my library. Only a few left.  

My favorite parts were the stories of the gods themselves. When the narrative focused on Mr. Wednesday and Shadow, I was more lukewarm.

• Like 8

I missed posting the last two weeks, but have been reading the threads.

I drove from MD to NC and back last week. I was in the car alone, and listened to Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology. It was just OK. My only experience with Gaiman is Coraline and The Graveyard Book (both of which I adore), and I have been hankering to read his adult books. This probably was not the place to start.

I read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress last week. I thought it was a very good book, but I had had it in mind for our current 10th grade Lit class and decided against it for that. Instead, we have started Beowulf.

I also read this new edition of the "original" Beauty and the Beast. The edition is beautiful. I just love the way the paper feels :) To me, the most interesting part of this version of the story was the elaborate fairy lore. But Beauty was not much of a heroine. I think she had the personality of a wet dishrag. Then, my mom and I went to see the movie, which we loved.

Last night, I started Stephen King's The Gunslinger for my Recommended By a Friend bingo square.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 11

Amy, Ali, and other fans of CS Harris.......Where the Dead Lie https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30363074-where-the-dead-lie?ac=1&from_search=true is almost released! I just got notice that my order request is being processed and they put it in my holds. I'm number 4 so others must of requested it too. Lol

Since I don't think I've recommended this series recently The St. Cyr series is one of my all time favourites. The series starts with What Angels Fear https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39149.What_Angels_Fear in 1811 and although they are set in the British upper classes in London these are not Flufferton. The scenes and actions of the characters are not always easy to read but the continuing story is wonderful. One of my top 10 series.

Absolutely must be read in order if at all possible.

I'm number 15 on 3 copies at my library.  Ugh! Might have to get this one on kindle because I'll be jealous if everyone else gets to read it before me.

These machines of leather and elastic are unnecessary and unsuited to the female form. They are, moreover, hideous beyond description. And as for indecency – of which you sometimes accuse the trousers – we at least can take our coats off without becoming the half-undressed, bedroom spectacle that a man presents in his shirt and braces.â€

I love this whole essay but I have to say this is my favorite part. It gives such a great mental image. Why don't men dress like that anymore?!?! *sigh*

To make up for that disappointment, I've started another book from the same friend, which is rich and subtle in the writing, and I'm just now realizing is the first of a mystery series: The Return of Captain John Emmett (by Elizabeth Speller), first in the Laurence Bartram mystery series. Thoroughly enjoying the writing, the post-WW1 setting, and the slow build up of the world. I'm 9 chapters into the 39-chapter novel, so I'm hoping this one holds up as strongly as it has started.

Really interested in your review for this!

I haven't read the book, but after adopting her 5-minute planning (I've seen it called "headlights" notes as in what you can see in the car headlights) coupled with the Pomodoro technique (5 minute planning/25 minutes writing), I doubled my daily writing output. Since I only get two hours in the early morning before the kids get up, her advice helped me focus and get the words out. 

Off to follow rabbit writing holes ...

Are you a cook book aficionado?  If so, you might enjoy this post from the Smart Bitches, Trashy Books site ~

Cooking with Bitches: Our Cookbook Recommendations

Regards,

Kareni

Well, the librarians are going to think I'm planning on doing a bunch of cooking because I just added a bunch of those books to my reserve list.

I second the recommendation for:

28260565.jpg

My friend and I had a cake party and made a bunch of the recipes from it. They were a huge hit.  

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 12

...I second the recommendation for:

My friend and I had a cake party and made a bunch of the recipes from it. They were a huge hit.  

Glad to hear that you liked the cookbook link, Amy.  A cake party sounds like a lot of fun; unfortunately, your recommendation above is missing.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Brontë

About the Author

English novelist and poet Anne Bronte was the youngest, and least recognized, member of the Bronte literary family. She wrote a volume of poetry with her sisters, Charlotte and Emily, before publishing two novels under the name Acton Bell. Bronte achieved modest success with her first novel, Agnes Grey, which was based on her time working as a governess, but her second novel, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was a triumph, selling out in just six weeks. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is also considered one of the first feminist novels, with depictions of alcoholism and immorality that were profoundly disturbing in the 19th century. Bronte died of tuberculosis in 1849 at the age of 29. Collectively, the Bronte sisters novels are considered literary standards that continue to influence modern writers.

"The novel of love, betrayal, and a woman’s longing for independence universally acclaimed as Anne Brontë’s greatest work.

When the widow Helen Graham arrives at Wildfell Hall with her young son, Gilbert Markham is intrigued by her beauty and mystery. But as scandalous rumors begin to circulate, Gilbert fears his affection may be misplaced. So that he can know the truth about her, Helen gives Gilbert her diary. From it, he learns that Helen Graham is no widow at all, but a woman named Helen Huntington, who has fled from her cruel and debauched husband in order to protect her son.

First published in 1848 under the pseudonym Acton Bell, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was both a popular phenomenon and a bold challenge to Victorian morals. Its sympathetic portrayal of a woman who chooses to leave her husband—an act that violated English law—made it one of the first feminist novels in the English language."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Glad to hear that you liked the cookbook link, Amy.  A cake party sounds like a lot of fun; unfortunately, your recommendation above is missing.

Regards,

Kareni

]

Oops. Fixed!  Thanks.

• Like 7

I finished Wanderlust by Karen McQuestion.  That's the second Edgewood book.  It was really good.  A couple things happened that didn't totally surprise me, but kind of did.  I'm very interested to see where this goes in the rest of the series.

• Like 7

I finished a couple of books ~

Winter's Fallen (The Conquest of Kelemir Book 1)  by A. F. Dery

This book is currently free to Kindle readers.  This was pleasant, but I don't think I'll be re-reading it any time soon.

"Grace has survived all of her life by simply doing her duty and not standing out, like all the people of her village, until the day their ruling warlord decides to claim her as the season's tax. In a moment of blind panic, she flees straight into the first storm of winter...and into the life of a mysterious recluse. Now stranded in his tower until the spring thaw, she finds more than her mere freedom in peril as no one and nothing is as it seems..."

I also re-read Patricia Briggs' Fire Touched (A Mercy Thompson Novel) which I enjoyed once more.  This is, I think, the ninth book in the series; you definitely should start this series with book one.

"Tensions between the fae and humans are coming to a head. And when coyote shapeshifter Mercy and her Alpha werewolf mate, Adam, are called upon to stop a rampaging troll, they find themselves with something that could be used to make the fae back down and forestall out-and-out war: a human child stolen long ago by the fae.

Defying the most powerful werewolf in the country, the humans, and the fae, Mercy, Adam, and their pack choose to protect the boy no matter what the cost. But who will protect them from a boy who is fire touched?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I just finished reading my book with Aquamarine in the title for March. I actually ended up using Beryl in the author's name because aquamarine was hard to find. The book was a memoir titled The Scent of God by Beryl Singleton Bissell. It was interesting but probably not a book everyone would care for. It tells the story of a girl's desire to enter a convent in the late 1950's. Her life was shown with the changes in the Catholic Church in the background. Eventually she leaves the convent and marries an Italian priest. This book was tasteful and very real. Not a dramatic romance but a pretty harsh reality at times. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/247748.The_Scent_of_God

• Like 9

I just finished a rather uninspiring regency romance A Taste For Love  by Donna Bell.  This is not a book I'll be re-reading.

Here's the blurb courtesy of Amazon: "Risking scandal in the "ton", Quentin Leith, Earl of Middlehurst, dares to go into business as a chef and restaurateur. Then the utterly charming Audrey Langston appears in London to claim Quentin as her husband, an arrangement their families planned long ago. But while Audrey's kisses prove far sweeter than wine, how can Quentin abandon his beloved new career."

Curiously, the hero's name in my copy is Charles Drake, so I'm intrigued by the use of Quentin above.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Still between books and we just ran out and picked up the star wars movie Rogue One.  Of course James also picked up a video game which he has to check out first before we watch the movie.   :toetap05:   He wants me to read the book as well, but first he wants me to read the Aftermath series.  I do need a bunch of A books so I'll dive into the first one - Chuck Wendig's Aftermath - and see how it goes.  

Since it's poetry month, leaving you with something I made up.  Then it's your turn.  Pick a letter and give it go! 

an Ode to L 

Luminous luminosity 

Lingering, full of curiosity.

Love in its brevity, 

Life is full of levity.

Luring, alluring, 

Living without failure. 

Limited by our possibilities

Languishing in our fallabilities.

Live, love, learn

Lovebirds yearn.

Loyal to the end, 

Lovers learn to bend.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 11

I've been busy catching up on all sorts of stuff IRL, like taxes  :ack2: , but think I  can finally catch up on the thread. Pictures hopefully soon...

Welcome home Jenn!  I've been reading Robert Jordan since the 90's, so I couldn't let this pass  :p  and I just couldn't agree  :DThere are plenty of strong female characters throughout the series portrayed with a wide range of personalities.  Not all are stubborn and shrewish. I was thinking of who you've met in the first book.  Moiraine is neither.  And she is a large part of the first book.  Nynaeve, um, yeah she is pretty stubborn, and  shrewish.  Egwene is just  a young girl in the first book, growing up trying to imitate one of her female mentors. I'm trying to think of who else you meet in the first book.  Elayne is the daughter of a queen.  I guess I only see Nynaeve as the stubborn/shrewish one. So I'm really interested in your statement ;)   In fact, one of the things that annoyed me throughout the whole entire series is how the women put the men down.   I'm pretty sure Jordan was trying to funny there but that was grating on my nerves.  It's cool that you are reading them for your boy.  I love some of the books, really disliked a few.  Will you continue on with the series?  Can't wait to see pictures of your trip!

It is Nynaeve who is insufferable! I just finished Eye of the World last night, and wanted to gag when Lan called her "a warrior". She's not -- she's a narrow minded, stubborn know it all!! I do like Moiraine. I know the young characters will mature as the series goes and my ds has commented that he loves the 3 boys, loves how they grow and change. But at the moment I'm not feeling that motivated to continue. I do love a good epic fantasy, though, so might yet continue...we'll see...  If you or Rose have some favorite titles to recommend, I'd happily skip over a few books, read a synopsis of what I've missed, and move on.

I recently finished a delightful Ngaio Marsh mystery which I think Nan and her mom would love, as would any of you who enjoy classic older mysteries. It is Died in the Wool, which takes place at a New Zealand sheep station in the depths of WWII. It was a clever, closed room type mystery.  I have no idea what the title is or who the author is, but am enjoying it! I especially appreciate that the victim isn't a young, beautiful female. 

I'm about an hour into Trevor Noah's Born a Criminal and see why all of you have raved about it. And I'm about a quarter of the way through a British police procedural I picked up at the kindle store. 

• Like 12

currently free work of historical fiction for Kindle readers ~

Through The Barricades by Denise Deegan

Gripping, heartfelt story set in the heart of Ireland's most troubled time. Deegan takes us on a memorable adventure into the past. Beautifully imagined and skillfully written - a book to remember.' (KATE KERRIGAN, author of the New York Times bestseller, the Ellis Island trilogy.)

'History comes vividly to life in this compelling love story set during turbulent times in revolutionary Ireland. In Maggie, Denise Deegan has created a strong female character caught between her ideals and her heart.' (MARTINA DEVLIN, best-selling author of The House Where it Happened)

'Denise Deegan captures all the emotion and drama of Ireland during the rebellion, and a world at war. In her characters, Maggie and Daniel, she authentically portrays the struggles and decisions faced by young men and women during this period of history. A thoroughly compelling book which I enjoyed immensely.' (HAZEL GAYNOR, author of New York Times bestseller The Girl Who Came Home.)

'Thought-provoking, heart-rending and uplifting, Through the Barricades takes a vivid look at the turmoil of events leading to 1916 through authentic and diverse eyes. It is not to be missed.' (RUTH FRANCES LONG, best-selling author of A Crack in Everything trilogy.)

'Things I look for in a good book - character, plot and the author's ability to make me care. Denise Deegan does this in spades in Through theBarricades. OK, the historical backdrop lends itself to a pacy narrative - Ireland from 1914 to 1916 - a tumultuous time in her history - but it takes a clever writer to weave the history and not let it get in the way of the plot. I fell in love with Maggie, Daniel and their friend Michael from their first introduction. I loved Maggie's fire and Daniel's devotion to her. I loved how their relationship developed and I enjoyed the almost Forrest Gump-ness of the book as Maggie interacted with important Irish figures. The pieces written about the trenches in the First World War were really moving as was the devotion Maggie's family had to each other. Bravo Denise.' (MARTINA REILLY, bestselling author of Proof)

'Daniel and Maggie take us through the human side of history, with a story of friendship and love. The birth of a social conscience and the harsh realities of insurrection combine with Deegan's characteristic empathy to craft a story that will appeal to young and old alike.' (Award-winning author of Needlework, DEIRDRE SULLIVAN.) 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

I also read this new edition of the "original" Beauty and the Beast. The edition is beautiful. I just love the way the paper feels :) To me, the most interesting part of this version of the story was the elaborate fairy lore. But Beauty was not much of a heroine. I think she had the personality of a wet dishrag. Then, my mom and I went to see the movie, which we loved.

I felt the same way when I read The Princess Bride because in the book Buttercup is a useless and undeveloped character. Wet dishrag is an apt description. 

• Like 11

I've been busy catching up on all sorts of stuff IRL, like taxes  :ack2: , but think I  can finally catch up on the thread. Pictures hopefully soon...

It is Nynaeve who is insufferable! I just finished Eye of the World last night, and wanted to gag when Lan called her "a warrior". She's not -- she's a narrow minded, stubborn know it all!! I do like Moiraine. I know the young characters will mature as the series goes and my ds has commented that he loves the 3 boys, loves how they grow and change. But at the moment I'm not feeling that motivated to continue. I do love a good epic fantasy, though, so might yet continue...we'll see...  If you or Rose have some favorite titles to recommend, I'd happily skip over a few books, read a synopsis of what I've missed, and move on.

Yeah, Nynaeve is a pain in the early books, but her character develops later in interesting ways as she's put into challenging situations where she doesn't get to be the one in charge. This happens to her in a variety of situations and it's neat to see how she reacts. She even (spoiler alert!) loses the braid at a later point, and is frustrated that she has nothing to tug on when she gets angry!  Moiraine was one of my favorite characters, and there are many other strong female characters, including much older ones, that get introduced as the series unfolds. No wet dishrags here! My biggest beef with the female characters is that RJ seems to have been fixated on the idea of corporal punishment among women's societies - there is a lot of spanking with slippers and other forms of physical correction, and I don't think it is a good representation of how women are likely to relate to one another in all female contexts. I think maybe he lets his own fantasy life intrude a little bit?  ;) It's not weird or gross or sexual at all, it just doesn't seem right to me. There isn't anything comparable where grown men/teens get "spanked" when they misbehave. I don't buy it at all.

But other than that . . . it's hard for me to be objective about that series, because I literally grew up with it. My cousin handed Eye of the World to me back when I was in college, and only 4 or 5 books had been published at that point. I hadn't read much adult fantasy - just David Eddings and Anne McCaffrey - and it sucked me right in. I was kind of the same age as the main characters, early 20s, also figuring out who I was and what my life journey was going to look like, you know? So I think I related much more strongly to the characters than I might now. And every couple of years, when a new book was released, I'd go back and read the whole series from the beginning, so I've read some of the early books multiple times. It does get tedious and draggy in places, and some of the specific characters & their relationships are annoying at times, but it's a pretty complex and satisfying world to delve into.

You might try New Spring. It's a prequel, actually, but it's Moiraine and Lan's story, and I remember liking it a lot.  I'm trying to think where the best place to read it is, maybe after Book 3? If you make it that far.  ;)  I totally get feeling like you should read a series, after your kid asks you to repeatedly! After all, my kid reads tons of things I ask her to, right?  :D

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 10

A one day only currently free classic for Kindle readers ~

The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli

"The world’s most influential—and controversial—treatise on politics

Composed in exile and published posthumously, The Prince is Niccolò Machiavelli’s legacy and the foundation of modern political theory. Drawing on his firsthand experiences as a diplomat and military commander in the Florentine Republic, Machiavelli disregards the rhetorical flourishes and sentimentality typically found in sixteenth-century mirrors for princes—guides instructing noblemen in the fine art of ruling—and gets straight to practical matters: how to eliminate rivals, when to use force, whether it is better to be loved or feared.

For its cold-blooded candor and unrepentant assertion that immorality can be a political virtue, The Prince was censured and Machiavelli’s name became synonymous with evil. Yet five centuries’ worth of political thinkers and leaders, from Thomas Cromwell to Francis Bacon to Napoleon Bonaparte to John Adams to Joseph Stalin, have turned to this slim volume for guidance and inspiration, because its advice on the acquisition and preservation of power contains the wisdom of experience—and, most importantly of all, because it works."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

But other than that . . . it's hard for me to be objective about that series, because I literally grew up with it. My cousin handed Eye of the World to me back when I was in college, and only 4 or 5 books had been published at that point. I hadn't read much adult fantasy - just David Eddings and Anne McCaffrey - and it sucked me right in. I was kind of the same age as the main characters, early 20s, also figuring out who I was and what my life journey was going to look like, you know? So I think I related much more strongly to the characters than I might now. And every couple of years, when a new book was released, I'd go back and read the whole series from the beginning, so I've read some of the early books multiple times. It does get tedious and draggy in places, and some of the specific characters & their relationships are annoying at times, but it's a pretty complex and satisfying world to delve into.

You might try New Spring. It's a prequel, actually, but it's Moiraine and Lan's story, and I remember liking it a lot.  I'm trying to think where the best place to read it is, maybe after Book 3? If you make it that far.  ;)  I totally get feeling like you should read a series, after your kid asks you to repeatedly! After all, my kid reads tons of things I ask her to, right?  :D

Like you, my ds discovered this series late in college, finishing it over the summer and into his first few months in Japan. I'm thinking my ds probably relates strongly to the story arc of the 3 main male characters. It is interesting, though, at least to me, and very heartening, that he has fussed about the female characters since he started the series. He thinks Robert Jordan is a sexist pig! Based on what my ds said, I'm guessing the character Mat finally gets to be something more than be an impulsive prankster or a moody slave to an evil dagger?!  (Those of you who don't get epic fantasy should just ignore these discussions -- thar be dragons and evil daggers ahead!)

Sharing books has been a special part of my relationship with this ds, beyond my pushing books on him as a homeschool mom.  We were together for countless author panels at comic-con over the years, shared the excitement in discovering authors like Patrick Rothfuss. We've diverged a bit in taste these last few years, but epic fantasy remains a common interest, and he has been itching for me to try Wheel of Time. I'll probably continue with the series as I can freely discuss it with you, Angel and ds. 

• Like 10

If you like time travel stories, this currently free book might appeal ~

The Unexpected Gift of Joseph Bridgeman: A Time Travel Adventure by Nick Jones

"How far would you go for someone you love?

In 1992 Amy Bridgeman disappeared. Her brother is going back to discover the truth…

Joseph Bridgeman – a reclusive insomniac with a weakness for ‘The Beatles’ on vinyl – accidentally discovers he can time travel. With the help of Vinny, a local record shop owner, an old school friend and Alexia Finch (his hypo-time-travel guru) Joe sets out to change the course of his life. He needs to get back to 1992, the year his world fell apart, the year his sister, went missing. The only problem (apart from his clothes disappearing) is that the further back he goes the less time he gets to stay there. Can Joe master his new-found gift before time catches up with him?

Expect action, drama, adventure and of course the unexpected!"

Also currently free:

Under Her Skin (Blank Canvas Book 1)  by Adriana Anders

Wizard in a Witchy World by Jamie McFarlane

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Here's the blurb courtesy of Amazon: "Risking scandal in the "ton", Quentin Leith, Earl of Middlehurst, dares to go into business as a chef and restaurateur. Then the utterly charming Audrey Langston appears in London to claim Quentin as her husband, an arrangement their families planned long ago. But while Audrey's kisses prove far sweeter than wine, how can Quentin abandon his beloved new career."

Curiously, the hero's name in my copy is Charles Drake, so I'm intrigued by the use of Quentin above.

:lol:  LOL! Did the rest of the story summary match? Amazon does do some strange product descriptions at times... Even more fun is the "fan fiction" reviews. Enjoy the customer reviews for the Three Wolf Moon t-shirt, for example...

• Like 8

Like you, my ds discovered this series late in college, finishing it over the summer and into his first few months in Japan. I'm thinking my ds probably relates strongly to the story arc of the 3 main male characters. It is interesting, though, at least to me, and very heartening, that he has fussed about the female characters since he started the series. He thinks Robert Jordan is a sexist pig! Based on what my ds said, I'm guessing the character Mat finally gets to be something more than be an impulsive prankster or a moody slave to an evil dagger?!  (Those of you who don't get epic fantasy should just ignore these discussions -- thar be dragons and evil daggers ahead!)

Sharing books has been a special part of my relationship with this ds, beyond my pushing books on him as a homeschool mom.  We were together for countless author panels at comic-con over the years, shared the excitement in discovering authors like Patrick Rothfuss. We've diverged a bit in taste these last few years, but epic fantasy remains a common interest, and he has been itching for me to try Wheel of Time. I'll probably continue with the series as I can freely discuss it with you, Angel and ds. 

:lol: about that characterization! I really appreciate that RJ made an effort to create strong, robust female characters and societies of women. And matriarchal cultures. He has an equal (or greater?) number of female leads in the series, and the women get as much or more air time as the men. That's pretty rare in a fantasy series written (mostly) in the 90s, and by a man. So I give him kudos for what he pulled off. But he is a little tone-deaf about some aspects of woman-ness, for sure! He isn't a feminist, exactly.  :001_rolleyes:

Yes, Mat (like Nynaeve) gets put into situations, later, where he has to take responsibility for others and step up - he has to quit being the class clown and grow up. Again, very interesting process of maturing in the character. 

It really is a series about - or in which - a bunch of young adults grow up, mature, and take their roles in the world. So yeah, I bet it does have a special appeal for the young adult age group.

I'm glad you'll keep reading it, it's always fun to have people to talk about favorite series with!  I was so happy when people read the Ancillary Justice trilogy. Now I just need to get somebody to tackle Terra Ignota with me.  ;)  :D

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 10

I was so happy when people read the Ancillary Justice trilogy. Now I just need to get somebody to tackle Terra Ignota with me. ;) :D

Me! I wanna! The Scifi book club I just joined has been going through 2 books a month (Ancillary Justice was in Jan, and I ended up reading all 3 - so good). Anyway, 2 scifi books/month is already a good number, so I'm going to try to get them to pick Terra Ignota so i can have it do double-duty. But if they don't do it by the fall, I think I'll read it myself anyway, because your reviews have me totally intrigued!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 10

Any Mary Balogh fans here? (Mumto and Kareni at least I'm guessing ...) Can you guys assign me a book to start with? I've seen her name mentioned all over the place and want to read one. 

• Like 6

:lol:  LOL! Did the rest of the story summary match? Amazon does do some strange product descriptions at times... Even more fun is the "fan fiction" reviews. Enjoy the customer reviews for the Three Wolf Moon t-shirt, for example...

I love those!

My favorite is the banana slicer.

• Like 9

So I've finished up two more books. Evicted, which was really well written and researched - I had no idea how extensive evictions were.  I had always thought it was really, really hard to evict people.  Eye-opening.  And The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which of course is the first in the series of cozy mysteries set in Botswana. I found it very enjoyable.

I'm trying to figure out which ebook to download from Overdrive next.  I should have some waitlisted things coming in soon, so I was thinking something maybe a bit different and not too long.   I thought I'd try Ficciones from Borges, but of course now that I want to download it, someone else has it checked out.   :glare:  That put me in a Spanish mood - Heart so White/Corazón tan blanco is available, but it's over 400 pages long.  I'm pretty sure someone here read it this last year - do you think I could get through it quickly?  Or there are two novels with an Iranian theme that look interesting - The Girl from the Garden by Parnez Foroutan and Together Tea by Marjan Kamali.  

I should be reading one of the 'real' books I've got instead of wasting time thinking about this, but I feel weird not having an ebook loaded. :lol:

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 10

So I've finished up two more books. Evicted, which was really well written and researched - I had no idea how extensive evictions were.  I had always thought it was really, really hard to evict people.  Eye-opening. 

Now I want to read this book. My dad has four rental houses and it is really hard to evict people. He's had people that don't pay for six months before he can try to get them out.  Based on his experiences I would NEVER own rental properties. He's in a position where it's just extra money for him and my mom and doesn't hurt them financially if he loses out on rent. I can see how it would be tough if that was your primary income source.  Then again I've lived a boring isolated life so my experiences shouldn't count for much in a conversation like this. 

Adding to my to-read list.

• Like 10

Any Mary Balogh fans here? (Mumto and Kareni at least I'm guessing ...) Can you guys assign me a book to start with? I've seen her name mentioned all over the place and want to read one.

The Secret Pearl and Slightly Dangerous are my two personal favorites from Balogh.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 8

I just finished a rather uninspiring regency romance A Taste For Love  by Donna Bell.  This is not a book I'll be re-reading.

Surprisingly, the rest of the story summary was indeed correct.

Thanks for the link, Lori D., those comments were truly funny!

The Secret Pearl and Slightly Dangerous are my two personal favorites from Balogh.

Erin has named my two favorite books by Mary Balogh.

Another favorite is Simply Love.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

So I've finished up two more books...  And The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, which of course is the first in the series of cozy mysteries set in Botswana. I found it very enjoyable.

I love that series.  :wub:  It is my one of my go-to re-read series when I am totally stressed and need "comfort food books". IMO, the series actually gets better after the first 2-3 books, as Smith really hits his stride and knows his characters well. :) Just about every single book has, somewhere embedded in it, a gentle observation by a character about the goodness and love of people, or love of one's land, that brings me to tears through its sheer simplicity and faith.

• Like 10

I'm on page 300 of The Secret Pearl. Loving it!!!

On a related note ... does anyone want to come over to my house and cook dinner for my people and do a few loads of laundry because I'm not getting that done today?

• Like 8

On a related note ... does anyone want to come over to my house and cook dinner for my people and do a few loads of laundry because I'm not getting that done today?

Slightly Dangerous has a Pride and Prejudice feel. It's excellent as well.

• Like 7

Wow, you're positively zipping along.  Glad you're enjoying it!

I'll pass on the cooking and laundry, but thanks anyway.  I've been doing all manner of tasks in preparation for my daughter's arrival this evening.  About three hours to go now.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Tomorrow I'll have more to say about a Stacia/Pam recommendation that has been on my TBR list for a while now, The Wandering Falcon by Jamil Ahmad.

Tonight, though, I want to provide an amusing link.  I learned today that the New York Review has a comic imprint--and they have published one of my favorite absurdists, Glen Baxter.  I am willing to bet that no one here has heard of him--except perhaps VC's husband who shares my esoteric reading preferences. To introduce you to Baxter, click here.

• Like 11

Watched Star Wars Rogue One last night.  It ends a few minutes before A New Hope begins as set up for the sequence of events that occur in the original movie. The acting was just as good as it was in the originals.   :tongue_smilie:  Good movie although a lot darker and more brutal than the remaining films.  Still pondering how I feel about the ending.  

Oh my gosh. New Spring!  Didn't know it existed.  Every time I pick up the next book in the wheel of time series, I have to refresh my memory on all the characters since I'm managing about two a year. Currently on book 6 Lords of Chaos, but may read A New Spring first.  Just stumbled on the Wheel of Time Companion which actually would come in quite handy. 

Today is the anniversary of the English poet Algernon Charles Swinburne's birthday and since we all love cats, here's his ode 

To A Cat 

STATELY, kindly, lordly friend,
Condescend
Here to sit by me, and turn
Glorious eyes that smile and burn,
Golden eyes, love's lustrous meed,
On the golden page I read.

All your wondrous wealth of hair,
Dark and fair,
Silken-shaggy, soft and bright
As the clouds and beams of night,
Pays my reverent hand's caress
Back with friendlier gentleness.

Dogs may fawn on all and some
As they come;
You, a friend of loftier mind,
Answer friends alone in kind.
Just your foot upon my hand
Softly bids it understand.

Morning round this silent sweet
Garden-seat
Sheds its wealth of gathering light,
Thrills the gradual clouds with might,
Changes woodland, orchard, heath,
Lawn, and garden there beneath.

Fair and dim they gleamed below:
Now they glow
Deep as even your sunbright eyes,
Fair as even the wakening skies.
Can it not or can it be
Now that you give thanks to see ?

May not you rejoice as I,
Seeing the sky
Change to heaven revealed, and bid
Earth reveal the heaven it hid
All night long from stars and moon,
Now the sun sets all in tune?

What within you wakes with day
Who can say?
All too little may we tell,
Friends who like each other well,
What might haply, if we might,
Bid us read our lives aright.

Wild on woodland ways your sires
Flashed like fires;
Fair as flame and fierce and fleet
As with wings on wingless feet
Shone and sprang your mother, free,
Bright and brave as wind or sea.

Free and proud and glad as they,
Here to-day
Rests or roams their radiant child,
Vanquished not, but reconciled,
Free from curb of aught above
Save the lovely curb of love.

Love through dreams of souls divine
Fain would shine
Round a dawn whose light and song
Then should right our mutual wrong---
Speak, and seal the love-lit law
Sweet Assisi's seer foresaw.

Dreams were theirs; yet haply may
Dawn a day
When such friends and fellows born,
Seeing our earth as fair at morn,
May for wiser love's sake see
More of heaven's deep heart than we. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 12

Tonight, though, I want to provide an amusing link.  I learned today that the New York Review has a comic imprint--and they have published one of my favorite absurdists, Glen Baxter.  I am willing to bet that no one here has heard of him--except perhaps VC's husband who shares my esoteric reading preferences. To introduce you to Baxter, click here.

That was a fun link.  And, I'm happy to say that I was already familiar with Glen Baxter!

Thanks for the good wishes, Jane.  We head to the airport in about half an hour to collect the (weary, very weary) offspring.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Glad you are enjoying it!

As you can guess I have been working my way through the series, in order.

I have read all of the Survivor's Club and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and enjoyed them. I am currently reading the Bedwyn Saga books and enjoying them. I highly recommend reading the two prequels if possible. They were helpful and really good, full length not novellas. My Goodreads seems to be down so I can't link.

• Like 7

Well, I had to break from my book to fix dinner and do a bit of work. Luckily I was then able to hide in the bathroom for about 30 minutes and finish it while Kevin and John did some stuff in the garage. Great recommendation! I have already downloaded another to my kindle.  

ETA: Amy, I will have to tell my dd about your cake party based on the American Cake cookbook. We checked that book out of the library awhile ago & all the recipes looked delicious. I was hoping my dd would spend many months making a cake every other week. (I'm not much of a cook.) Alas, not yet.... Maybe if I mention it, she'll remember my request for cake! :laugh:

The two I remember from our party that everyone loved was the 1918 Applesauce cake and the Hummingbird Cake. The Hummingbird Cake was complicated but the Applesauce cake went together easy and fast. It was the type of cake that would be really good toasted a day later with a bit of butter for breakfast. That is ... if you're the type of person to eat cake with a bit of butter for breakfast.  

• Like 9

Karen - I hope you have a lovely visit with your daughter.  How long is she going to be visiting?

Kareni, enjoy your time with your dd!

Thank you both.  I'm already enjoying her company!  She'll leave on the 16th at the crack of dawn; I imagine the time will fly by.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Thank you both.  I'm already enjoying her company!  She'll leave on the 16th at the crack of dawn; I imagine the time will fly by.

I'll be curious to hear how she handles the time adjustment on such a short trip. My ds is thinking he'd like to come home at Christmas and I know he won't have much time either.

The jet lag for me last week was brutal, but then again I'm not a young spring chicken like our kids! I was wide awake from 1-3am for several nights running, and fighting to stay awake part of the day.

ETA -- have a wonderful visit!!!! And give her a warm hello from her WTM aunties who remember when she was heading to college!

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 8