Menu

Have I mentioned that I love Life of Fred

Mommyfaithe

Well, I am mentioning it again. I swear the guy who wrote these books is a genius. Anyone who could get MY DD to beg for math...is...well ... A GENIUS!!! I don't care if we don't cover enough...or if it isn't a "full" program...she has learned more math in the past 3 weeks ...and has retained it...(and is begging for more??) ...than she has in the past 4 years of pulling teeth. I am amazed!

Faithe

Funny you mention this, today Grandpa came over for a visit. After he was here visiting for about 1 hour my dd whispers in my ear, do you mind If I go do some math. I said, " now, oh honey, you can just visit with Grandpa it's okay" and she responds with , " I WANT to, please".

That was plain weird, but I love LOF too!

My 13 yo is working on his own in Algebra I and doesn't complain about it. But he still only does math when he's told. It's not like he's chomping at the bit to do it in favor of non-school related things. Prior to this he did Singapore 6 and I felt obligated to do all the problems too, to check him. It took a lot of my time. Now that he's working with Fred and has access to all the answers I don't even look at his math work anymore. Valerie

My 13 yo is working on his own in Algebra I and doesn't complain about it. But he still only does math when he's told. It's not like he's chomping at the bit to do it in favor of non-school related things. Prior to this he did Singapore 6 and I felt obligated to do all the problems too, to check him. It took a lot of my time. Now that he's working with Fred and has access to all the answers I don't even look at his math work anymore. Valerie

Just a little warning from the been there...done that...

I wouldn't do every problem with him...but I would make sure he not only gets it, but that he really is doing the math. Just a little experience here...I had on dc SAY they were doing math when what they were really doing was copying the solution manual into their notebook. I had another do a similar thing in biology. Never again. We had to go back and recoup months of work....

I stand by my mantra...a job unchecked is a job undone...

Now your ds may be way different from my kids...BUT the temptation there is just too great. My kids are not liars or cheaters...but jeesh...I couldn't blame a kid for trying....and playing is oh so much more fun than math or biology.

Hope I didn't offend you...just a heads up.

Blessings,

Faithe

Yes, I also check my dd's work even though I trust her not to just copy the answers. I find that she doesn't always understand why she missed something & doesn't search it out. (the book does include explanations but she doesn't always pay attention to those.) My son will just skip a problem if he doesn't know the answer, so if I check his answers I can work on that problem with him. Hth

I don't check the work throughout the chapter, only the bridges.

If they can't make it through the brdiges, I give them the Key to series to work through for extra clarification or practice.

The combo seems to work out as neither are stressful and both are pretty clear.