Menu

Yelp! Wedding/Cooking stuff - people who serve large groups - Welcome!

BlsdMama

So between dr. appointments and this being the month for Regional and State Mock, I've been, er, um, busy.....

Which means that while a LOT of wedding planning got done, a lot didn't.  Details.

But state mock is over and we are in full planning mode which is good because - THE WEDDING IS NEXT WEEKEND!

:ohmy:  :scared:  :willy_nilly:  :eek:  :cheers2:  :wub:  :zombie:    :wacko:  :wub:  

I think that sums up all my feelings.... Apparently there is a limit on emoticons??

But I need some help on the cooking.  Obviously, because we have a million children AND they like to eat, we are doing the "catering."

This is not as scary as it sounds.  DH is cooking all the meat on the smoker.  It's boston butt and loin so it can be made ahead.

Fruit salad - obviously to be made Friday morning and put into the church refrigerators in separate containers.  

Question 1:

I know cantaloupe and grapes do well being cleaned/cut early.  Can I do the watermelon a day ahead of time, keep it by its lonesome and then combine that morning?

Pineapple?

Strawberries?

So we have roasters.  The church is AMAZING and they are letting us use EVERYTHING they have which is like 12+ roasters.  

Question 2:

Can I premake the loaded mac and cheese, put them into aluminum pans and then slide the aluminum pan into the roasters to warm and stay warm?  I ask because it has a topping and I don't want it mixed in, kwim?

The menu:

Boston Butt for sandwiches or not and Pork Loin for the same - both smoked

Baked beans

Loaded Mac & Cheese

Fruit Salad

Should there be more?    Oh, and obviously cake.

The biggest issue I see us having is that the church does not have someone we can have do prep.  The wedding is at 10:00 AM because DD wanted brunch.  When the other family didn't like the idea of brunch, we switched to lunch to accommodate because it just wasn't a big deal.  BUT pictures are BEFORE the ceremony.  Which means I can't do prep work that AM.  I have to have the kids dressed by 8:30AM for pics.  This isn't horrible, but it isn't a piece of cake either.  (Live and learn I guess - I'll plan better with the next kiddo, lol.)  

SO anything us as a family (aunts, uncles, grandparents) can do the day before, then we really WANT to, kwim?  My mil is a serious force to be reckoned with and that woman can cook.   The church will allow us to use the facility (toy room, kitchen, etc.) for the day before for prep work.  (Have I mentioned already that I don't understand why we don't attend here for church?  Lovely people, srsly.)

So I am not scared per se, but cautious, lol.  (The dentist just sent me my reminder email and, oh yeah, ten of the kids have dentist appointments on Monday and Wednesday of next week.) 

I have ALL clothing (except one dress to make this weekend) DONE!  I have one more pair of shoes to pick up for oldest DS.  (Child of many shoes, but apparently zero  BROWN dress shoes.)  All haircuts have been done.  All decorative stuff is rented, we pick it up Friday morning and the fellers can put up tables, etc.,  while the womenfolk cook. 

The cake woman is delivering and setting up that AM.  The photographer is a friend of mine and she's ready.  Need to make the pew bows but they are easy peasy.

All of your fruit should be fine over one night, kept separately, in reasonably chunky sizes. The watermelon will release juice overnight, but you can use that for sauce or drain it off. Either way the melon itself will be fine, unless the bits are too small.

Grapes and cantaloupe will be fine for two days, easy.

• Like 2

The mac and cheese will be ok if you go from warm (making it) to just keeping it warm (low temp). If you need to chill it and re-warm it, it think the bottom will be too crisp before the middle gets warm.

Edited by bolt.

As for if you should have anything else, maybe some rolls or cornbread? Rolls would be easiest and give the picky people (kids) something to eat if nothing else? But you have bread for the sandwiches, so not really needed. It was just the only thing I could think of. 

Drinks are handled?

• Like 1

The mac and cheese will be ok if you go from warm (making it) to just keeping it warm (low temp). If you need to chill it and re-warm it, it think the hottie will be too crisp before the middle gets warm.

I agree...

I hate to be a downer about the Mac and cheese but most caterers I know say Mac and cheese is tough to keep yummy. It gets dry or the texture changes when it is made, cooled, reheated.

Can you consider a cold macaroni salad, which I think usually tastes better the next day.

Or maybe new red potatoes, cooked ahead then reheated with parsley and butter?

• Like 1

The food sounds delicious, but I'm wondering if you could use a green veggie of some kind or a fresh vegetable platter.

I have made mac and cheese ahead, just for our family, but have only heated it in an oven. I'm not sure it will work to expect the roaster to heat it through if it has been chilled. I think you would want to put it in the roaster already warm. Not being able to stir is likely to be a problem, as mentioned by others.

As mentioned by someone cold pasta salad might work better, though I'd avoid anything with mayo. You could work some veggies into a pasta salad, as well.

How many people are you serving? Can you consider hiring someone to help that morning while you are busy with the pictures and other things? I think you will want to be spending the morning with your daughter and not in the kitchen.

Edited by Storygirl

I too was thinking some kind of veggie was missing. Even a simple iceberg lettuce and some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers would work with very little prep or you could do a cold veggie tray with dip.  

I too would be worried about the mac and cheese holding up to cooking, cooling and then reheating on Saturday but it seems like that would be labor intensive to do the morning of and you would still have to hold it for a while.

ugh. computer ate my post twice.

I think mac and cheese may be more populaof r if you will have a lot of kids at wedding.

Is there enough oven space at the church, so you can cook the mac and cheese during the wedding after preparing it ahead of time?

recipes

easy

http://www.theseasonedmom.com/what-were-eating-overnight-mac-and-cheese/

for a crowd

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/12/Macaroni_and_Cheese_for_a_Crowd51839.shtml

You could add meat to these...if that makes loaded.

If there is not a lot of oven space, what about mac and cheese cups? They wouldn't need as much warming ... roasters may even work.

Enjoy the wedding.