Menu

Tell me about Pheronomes (especially in homeschooling)

MamaBearTeacher

Was discussing this topic recently; so far, human pheromones are not a proven fact.

They seem very, very likely given what we know of pheromones in other mammals, but the evidence is only circumstantial thus far and effects are speculative.

It's nice to know that there remain plenty of puzzles for any of our kids who choose to go into scientific research to figure out :)

Edited by maize

If you search WebMD for the word pheromones, you will find a number of articles on how they can influence us subconsciously. The effects I saw listed were on things like mood (as well as sexual interest). I don't think that it would affect a family setting so much but I doubt that has been studied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The author of this "article" obviously wasn't in a military platoon with 49 other women most of  whom, after being around each other for several weeks, found their periods had synchronized! Ask me how I know!

Real life trumps ANY case study! Or lack there of!

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 2

A guy I used to know was a researcher in brain science at a major American research university.  He gave a few presentations over the years to a group I used to attend.  One of the things that he brought up that completely fascinated me.  It has been shown that during pregnancy, mothers and *sons* swap some DNA.  There *is* an incredibly close connection between mothers and sons.  However, there is also something that keeps this from being ... creepy.  At puberty, the sons develop pheromones that are repellent to their mothers.  (This is where science meets practical experience in my home.). It is the way we are made, so that there is a ... compelling ... reason for the son to leave the home and start a new family and to prevent that closeness from becoming ... creepy.  

I thought that was very interesting and it helped me understand, in a way, what I was supposed to be doing...letting go (and also that it was OK to be GLAD.). (P.U.)

There is some amount of research that shows that younger children smell really good to their own moms, but...not so much to other moms.  This *also* maps to my experience.  

A guy I used to know was a researcher in brain science at a major American research university. He gave a few presentations over the years to a group I used to attend. One of the things that he brought up that completely fascinated me. It has been shown that during pregnancy, mothers and *sons* swap some DNA. There *is* an incredibly close connection between mothers and sons. However, there is also something that keeps this from being ... creepy. At puberty, the sons develop pheromones that are repellent to their mothers. (This is where science meets practical experience in my home.). It is the way we are made, so that there is a ... compelling ... reason for the son to leave the home and start a new family and to prevent that closeness from becoming ... creepy.

I thought that was very interesting and it helped me understand, in a way, what I was supposed to be doing...letting go (and also that it was OK to be GLAD.). (P.U.)

There is some amount of research that shows that younger children smell really good to their own moms, but...not so much to other moms. This *also* maps to my experience.

I have read these types of studies too. Ds has a medical condition called Giberts. It makes him have high billirubin especially if he is under stress. I can tell when he is stressed by his smell. When he is stressed, his billirubin increases and I don't know if that is what I smell, or if it is just his stress sweat smell. Within an hour of a showe, his smell on a stressful day, is putrid to me....but only me. No one else can smell it. Lol

A few years ago, I read about studies showing that girls begin puberty earlier when they live in a home with a stepfather or other male that is not biologically related to them. Pheromones were mentioned as a possible cause of the earlier onset of puberty.

The author of this "article" obviously wasn't in a military platoon with 49 other women most of whom, after being around each other for several weeks, found their periods had synchronized! Ask me how I know!

Real life trumps ANY case study! Or lack thereof!

You have that backwards. Anecdotes are not data, and never will be. You, like all humans, are the subject of numerous cognitive biases, including a large number that have to do with seeing patterns whether or not they're there.

• Like 1