Menu

Getting Renovation Advice

MamaBearTeacher

We have a bunch of smaller renovation projects to get done and it's hard to know what is the priority.  Here are some examples:

1. getting new interior doors

2.getting new sinks and faucets for our bathroom, possibly a new vanity for downstairs.

3. painting our living/dining room which is attached to downstairs hallway which is attached to upstairs hallway and this ends up being most of our house.  I have no idea what color.  It is white right now but I like silver-grey but that might be too dark for such a big space.  Also, our floors are golden oak so it doesn't look great with gray.  

4. We have ceramic tiles in our downstairs hall and I can't tell if they have gone out of style.

5.  There is more, oh so much more.

I dream of moving somewhere warm.  I don't know when or if we could ever make that a reality.  Maybe I should contact a real estate agent and ask if they could tell us what the priorities are to get our house ready if we wanted to sell it.  We probably won't sell for a very long time but this might help us focus on priorities and help me see what looks the worst if we wanted to have people over.

What about paint color?  I am so bad at picking paint colours.  Should I get advice at the paint store?

I am feeling overwhelmed and don't know how to prioritize or make decisions.  A friend hired a designer to help her figure out where to start with renovations but she did not find it helpful and did not take any of her recommendations.  

We used a stager recommended by our real estate agent when we sold. She focused on what would make the house sell and knew what was in style vs out. Like our lights, bathroom medicine cabinets, etc Plus larger items like our stove and counter top and vanities. She also picked paint colors. It all came in under $10k and our house looked fantastic. If we had tried to upgrade on our own, we wouldn't really know what to pick or do. And probably would have wasted money. A stager is different in my mind than a designer. More practical. Just my experience.

• Like 1

We also have a very long list of projects, repairs, updates, replacements, painting.

First priority would be anything in need of repair. For us, if we had spent $150 ten years ago, or $1,500 five years ago, we probably wouldn't have to spend $15,000 now :(

Prioritize repairs by either most needed or by cost. Also, group together any repairs that need similar tools or professionals. All the plumbing, all the electrical, etc.

If you have numerous repairs in the same room, find out if the order matters. For our bathrooms, we need to fix the electrical before the plumbing/walls/ceiling/tub. Paint, floors, and vanity bases are last.

Next, what is bothering you the most, or will have the most positive impact? For me, outdated floors in good condition would be a much lower priority than upgrading the garage door to an automatic. Upgrading a functional oven would not come before installing a dishwasher.

Paint? For the most part, go with what you like. We have 1960 hardwood floors, probably golden oakey color. I hate the color, so I just ignore them. I'd rather fill the room with colors I like than match the room to a color I hate. But maybe go for a warmer grey. I think they call it "greige"

• Like 2

I think these decisions will also depend on what buyers in your area expect.  Are most other houses (that are comparable to yours in size, location, $$) updated?  and to what level of finish? 

I have looked online at the houses selling in my neighbourhood.  They all have a clean, polished, somewhat stylish look, though I would not describe them as luxurious.  This is the look I am going for.  Right now, I feel like the house is in a state where if people came in they might be afraid of catching something.

We also have a very long list of projects, repairs, updates, replacements, painting.

First priority would be anything in need of repair. For us, if we had spent $150 ten years ago, or $1,500 five years ago, we probably wouldn't have to spend $15,000 now :(

Prioritize repairs by either most needed or by cost. Also, group together any repairs that need similar tools or professionals. All the plumbing, all the electrical, etc.

If you have numerous repairs in the same room, find out if the order matters. For our bathrooms, we need to fix the electrical before the plumbing/walls/ceiling/tub. Paint, floors, and vanity bases are last.

Next, what is bothering you the most, or will have the most positive impact? For me, outdated floors in good condition would be a much lower priority than upgrading the garage door to an automatic. Upgrading a functional oven would not come before installing a dishwasher.

Paint? For the most part, go with what you like. We have 1960 hardwood floors, probably golden oakey color. I hate the color, so I just ignore them. I'd rather fill the room with colors I like than match the room to a color I hate. But maybe go for a warmer grey. I think they call it "greige"

Not a lot is really broken.  More like scratched, stained etc.  It is mostly aesthetic but lots of bad aesthetic problems add up.

Last year I wanted to redo the bathrooms but could not get my head arround everything that needed to be done.  Then one of our toilets flooded the house and then a few days later the other toilet flooded the house.  Fun times.  So, those have been replaced.  We have to replace two of our sinks because they are very old and could develop issues.

• Like 1

We used a stager recommended by our real estate agent when we sold. She focused on what would make the house sell and knew what was in style vs out. Like our lights, bathroom medicine cabinets, etc Plus larger items like our stove and counter top and vanities. She also picked paint colors. It all came in under $10k and our house looked fantastic. If we had tried to upgrade on our own, we wouldn't really know what to pick or do. And probably would have wasted money. A stager is different in my mind than a designer. More practical. Just my experience.

I think a stager might work for us more than a designer.  I did not know such a person existed.  I always thought the real estate agent took on that role.  Does the stager charge a lot of money?  Did she organize the changes or did you do them yourself, or find someone to do them?

Since you're not planning to sell anytime soon, I'd prioritize renovations by doing things that will make you more comfortable having friends over. That probably would include downstairs painting and the bathroom faucets, etc.  As far as color- I don't know how your color choice would go there but you could get a sample and do a little and see. If you don't like the gray color, I'd suggest a neutral that will go well with your floor color. 

About the tile- if it's in good shape, I wouldn't worry about whether it's in style or not. I really cannot fathom guests caring about that kind of thing. 

What about the interior doors makes you think they need to be replaced? 

A really good way to see your house like your guests see it is to photograph it and look at the pics on a computer screen. Take a bunch of pics and upload them and treat it as if you are looking at a house for sale at realtor.com. You've seen some houses in your area...now look at your pics...and see what stands out.   

Small changes really make a difference.  One project at a time...you can do this!

• Like 3

We are in a similar spot. We need to do some updates but not sure what, how, colors, etc.

I am having one of my friends that is really good with that stuff come.over and give me ideas and pointers.

Do you have anyone where you go in Their house and really like the look, feel comfortable, etc? If so, ask them for help.

• Like 1

I have looked online at the houses selling in my neighbourhood.  They all have a clean, polished, somewhat stylish look, though I would not describe them as luxurious.  This is the look I am going for.  Right now, I feel like the house is in a state where if people came in they might be afraid of catching something.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, so let's make sure we get this straight. "Contagious" is not the look you're going for?

• Like 2

Speaking of home stagers, does anyone else remember that TV show called "Sell this House," where Tanya and Roger would stage a different house each week on a ridiculously low budget?

Sometimes they had some good ideas but other times, poor Roger would have to use things like flat bed sheets as tablecloths and drapes -- and then the people who came to the open house would pretend not to notice that the dining room table and chairs looked suspiciously like some folding chairs borrowed from a bingo hall that had big bows from Big Lots (always from Big Lots!) tied to the backs to make them look fancy, and a card table that was covered with the aforementioned tablecloth made out of a flat bed sheet (also from Big Lots.) And those window treatments... oooooh! They matched the tablecloth! :D

I loved that stupid show. It was idiotic, but it was fun.

• Like 2

Do you have a Sherwin Williams store near you? Other WTM posters have mentioned that they will send someone to your home to help you choose paint colors for free. And maybe give you a coupon?

If you think you may sell at some point, think about keeping your walls a neutral shade. In a previous house, a stager suggested that Sherwin Williams Kilim beige is a great neutral. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6106#/6106/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0 We didn't end up using it, but I found out later that my dad also picked that color for some walls in his house.

You can stop in a paint store and just grab handfuls of samples to take home. No charge for those. When we need to paint, I grab every paint chip in our color range and take them home to see them in my home. I've been able to choose paint just with the chips, but you can buy some sample pots of colors and paint swatches on your wall to see how you like them before doing the whole room.

• Like 1

We have a bunch of smaller renovation projects to get done and it's hard to know what is the priority.  Here are some examples:

1. getting new interior doors

Don't forget new handles, too. Meaning you might change color (please, no more brass!) . . . Replacing doors is pretty easy for any handyman. Just choose carefully from the catalog at the building supply store . . . You can get decent looking doors for under $100 each so long as you don't mind "hollow core". Solid wood doors would be more, of course. 

2.getting new sinks and faucets for our bathroom, possibly a new vanity for downstairs.

Faucets -- EASY. 

If you're replacing sinks, you might just want to get entire new vanities or at least vanity tops with integrated sinks. Check HomeDepot online. You can get nice granite tops w/sinks for 150-200 each, or so. 

3. painting our living/dining room which is attached to downstairs hallway which is attached to upstairs hallway and this ends up being most of our house.  I have no idea what color.  It is white right now but I like silver-grey but that might be too dark for such a big space.  Also, our floors are golden oak so it doesn't look great with gray.  

Check out Monorail Silver by Sherwin Williams. I put it in about 800 sf on our main level, and I love, love, love it as does everyone who comes through the house. Goes great with the natural oak floors and cherry cabinetry and many other natural wood antiques down there. Incredibly versatile color. Just, go "matte", no shine, ever. Buy high quality paint, and you don't need it.

4. We have ceramic tiles in our downstairs hall and I can't tell if they have gone out of style.

Give is a picture and we'll tell you, lol.

5.  There is more, oh so much more.

I dream of moving somewhere warm.  I don't know when or if we could ever make that a reality.  Maybe I should contact a real estate agent and ask if they could tell us what the priorities are to get our house ready if we wanted to sell it.  We probably won't sell for a very long time but this might help us focus on priorities and help me see what looks the worst if we wanted to have people over.

What about paint color?  I am so bad at picking paint colours.  Should I get advice at the paint store?

I am feeling overwhelmed and don't know how to prioritize or make decisions.  A friend hired a designer to help her figure out where to start with renovations but she did not find it helpful and did not take any of her recommendations.  

• Like 1

I think a stager might work for us more than a designer.  I did not know such a person existed.  I always thought the real estate agent took on that role.  Does the stager charge a lot of money?  Did she organize the changes or did you do them yourself, or find someone to do them?

She charger $2000 for her time, but our realtor paid $1000 of it.  It was worth it to the realtor to have it looking nice; it sold that weekend over asking.

She took charge of everything.  She picked all the items out, hired the workers, helped schedule them etc.  Of course the workers cost extra, as did the materials, but I loved that it was one stop shopping.  Plus, the prices she managed to get the work done for, and in the time frame, was far less than I could have managed.  She had her 'go-to' guys.

I'm not sure if everyone works like that or not.  

• Like 1