Menu

Well trained Bodies - 3/12/17

Granny_Weatherwax

It's Sunday and the beginning of a new week.

How are you doing? What are your challenges or goals for this week?

I"m on Spring Break this week and had planned two-a-day workouts. Unfortunately, my cold is taking hold and I have developed a pesky cough. I have tennis planned three times this week (singles twice and doubles once) and really want to hit full body strength training.

For eating, I'm still working on my 75 oz of water a day, increasing vegetables, and doing minimal tracking (as suggested by you all last week).

I hit the 3min mark on my wall sit challenge and will hold that for a couple of days and then move toward reaching 5 mins.

I'm also going to begin a 30 day sit up challenge and look into a push ups challenge. I seem to do better when I have a clear goal to reach for every day.

• Like 4

Hello all :)

No big goals here my brain is too full of yoga training, hs'ing  and house cleaning/organization etc. 

I aim to-

- Move- primarily yoga & walking w/ a dose of playing around and good ol' manual labor around the house

- eat good real foods

- lose 6 lbs

I had been losing a lb every 5 days but only lost a fraction of a lb this last 5 days. Of course I didn't expect that to continue, as long as I'm continuing down it is good- of course I am ready to be done w/ weight loss, it sucks. I sleep better when I'm not trying to lose weight and although I don't cut a ton of calories I still have a bit of hunger from my deficit and that makes me grumpy! UGH!

OH, I am at 3 wks of closely tracking my food, I set out to be strict for 4 wks, so 1 wk to go, hopefully I will also hit the mark to have 5 lbs left by that point, then I will move onto just a loose tracking.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

I have some challenges this week that I am trying to plan around: 

Weather: not conducive to outside exercise plus travel later in the week. Travel presents both an exercise challenge (8 hours in the car plus no equipment once we arrive and worse outdoor weather) plus eating challenges: I will be offered dessert, many more grains than I would normally choose, etc.) 

The plan: 

While at home: cardio: M & T: I may try an aquatics class Monday and Tuesday at my gym. Alternative would be youtube dance or Wi-Fit obstacle course ; Zumba on Wed. 

Strength training would need to be M/W instead of T/Th since I will be on the road on Thur. I will need to construct a "Plan B" strength training plan for travel. If I have internet access (not guaranteed) I may be able to do the dance. 

Food: I think I need to just decide ahead of time not to eat bread/rolls as a side-dish and no dessert. 

Weight loss: Last week, I started out 1 lb lower than last week, then it went up 2 pounds, now I am at a zero change from last week. My goal is one pound per week, so I didn't make it this week. This coming week will be hard to make just because of logistics. 

• Like 3

My goal for last week was to get in a one-mile run plus six hours of workouts (three weights, three cardio).  I ended up just half an hour short on the cardio. 

This week I won't be able to run since I re-hurt my ankle, so I'll make the goal seven hours of workouts:  three weights, four cardio.  I'm also going to add the goal of attending one indoor cycling class this week to introduce some variety.  Lone cardio is getting pretty boring.

I know this thread is primarily about exercise, but I also have a change in my dietary goals this week, so I'm going to mention that too (to make sure I follow through!).  Lately I haven't had much of an appetite for protein foods, but I've had a huge appetite for starchy foods.  I'm sure that accounts for why the scale says what it says.   :(  So I'm going to add a minimum protein requirement and a starch limit to my dietary rules.

I'm also going to bring back a system I used to use to track/limit/reward myself.  I found it motivating and actually kind of fun, so I'm not sure why I stopped using it.  At the beginning of the week, I would set aside some cash in an envelope in my desk.  I established a system of points that I could earn through exercise and healthy diet (such as eating my minimum number of veggie servings), and I would also deduct points for behaviors I wanted to discourage (such as adding sweetener to my tea, or eating white bread instead of whole grain, or whatever).  Then at the end of the week, if I had earned x number of points, I could spend the cash on whatever fun, frivolous thing I wanted.  But if I hadn't, then the money went to charity.

I know that sounds bad in a way:  giving money to charity should not be a punishment, but should be done freely and gladly.  But it's not the only money I give to charity - it's just a little extra.  Also, I made sure that x was a number of points that would force me to be good, but not perfect.  Perfectionism is the enemy of excellence, and all that.

I hope that everyone has a great week!  I really love this thread.  I find it so fun and motivating to read what you all are doing, and post my own workouts.  Thank you all!

• Like 3

Laurie - that is so smart to plan in advance for your challenging circumstances!  I need to remember to do that the next time something like that comes up in my life.  

ETA:  Also, you mentioned the Daisy Ridley workout videos in last week's thread, and I meant to thank you for that.  I will check them out.  I need all the help and motivation I can get!

Edited by Greta

We have a break from homeschool this week, too, though here it's called March break.

I want to get out skiing while the snow is still on the ground. It means going up into the hills/mountains, though, but it's worth the extra driving.

My tennis plans are to play in the Thursday evening competitive doubles league, and then one more time with dh. 

I'll supplement with other outdoor activities, such as running, walking and maybe even cycling if I can get my front tire and tube repaired from last fall. I kind of dropped the ball on that job.  :leaving:

• Like 4

Laurie - that is so smart to plan in advance for your challenging circumstances!  I need to remember to do that the next time something like that comes up in my life.  

ETA:  Also, you mentioned the Daisy Ridley workout videos in last week's thread, and I meant to thank you for that.  I will check them out.  I need all the help and motivation I can get!

I learned the hard way to plan ahead.  :closedeyes:

Just to clarify: the Daisy Ridley videos aren't "motivational" videos. I was just inspired by her character Rey's strength and then thrilled to see that she actually trained hard for the role rather than just using a double. (I think she had one for some of the saber fighting scenes.)  So I just watch the videos of snippets of her strength training routine and it kind of gets me in the mood!

But I did come across this article on Nerd Fitness on motivating yourself when you are just not feeling it: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/dont-want-to-exercise-use-the-braveheart-technique/  

• Like 1

Hi everyone!

My goals are to workout at least 6 hours this week and to continue eating cleanly. I had started out with a goal weight and I'm approaching it. The thing is that my clothes still don't fit like they used to. So, I'm thinking that I need to focus on body fat percentage? I'm not really sure but I decided to get a free body fat assessment at theY. Not so keen on the idea of someone pinching my fat everywhere but how else can I get it done?

• Like 2

Goals for this week work on eating more vegetables less bread and sugar. Exercise goal, walk or run or combo of both 5 miles a day, weather permitting, along with 3-4 insanity workouts.

Started this week off with a good Insanity workout and 5 mile walk

Monday: the weather was okay enough to get 5 mile run/walk

Tuesday: under 40 degrees and raining so it was Insanity power cardio and resistance If it clears up a bit and gets over 40 degrees I may still try to walk.

Wednesday insanity pure cardio

Edited by lynn
  • Like 4

Hi everyone!

My goals are to workout at least 6 hours this week and to continue eating cleanly. I had started out with a goal weight and I'm approaching it. The thing is that my clothes still don't fit like they used to. So, I'm thinking that I need to focus on body fat percentage? I'm not really sure but I decided to get a free body fat assessment at theY. Not so keen on the idea of someone pinching my fat everywhere but how else can I get it done?

You could get your bodyfat measured, but what would that change about what you actually do? Can measurements with a tape measure tell you what you need to know? (And therefore save the other person pinching an inch? I wouldn't want that done, either!) 

You could get your bodyfat measured, but what would that change about what you actually do? Can measurements with a tape measure tell you what you need to know? (And therefore save the other person pinching an inch? I wouldn't want that done, either!)

I don't know if it would change anything or not. Probably not. Initially, I decided that once I hit my goal weight I would scale back the exercise a bit. Maybe 3-4 hours a week instead of 6. But as I approach my goal weight and still can't fit properly into my clothes....there is no end in sight for the 6 hours a week exercising. I have enjoyed the workouts (mostly) but I just don't think I can keep up the time commitment. Life happens

I learned the hard way to plan ahead.  :closedeyes:

Just to clarify: the Daisy Ridley videos aren't "motivational" videos. I was just inspired by her character Rey's strength and then thrilled to see that she actually trained hard for the role rather than just using a double. (I think she had one for some of the saber fighting scenes.)  So I just watch the videos of snippets of her strength training routine and it kind of gets me in the mood!

But I did come across this article on Nerd Fitness on motivating yourself when you are just not feeling it: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/dont-want-to-exercise-use-the-braveheart-technique/  

The videos do sound fun and motivational to me.  I like that kind of stuff.  Thanks for the article too!  I have actually used that technique on myself, though I didn't know it was called the Braveheart technique!  I remember one day in particular that I really did not want to go to the gym, but forced myself to put on my gym clothes anyway.  Then when my husband saw me he said, "oh, you're going to the gym?"  Well, what am I going to say at that point, "no, I just wanted to look athletic"?   :lol:  So I went.

Hi everyone!

Has lifting weights been part of your six hours of weekly exercise?  I'm sure you know this, but we start losing muscle mass in our 30's, unless we fight to keep it.  I don't know how old you are, of course, but I'm 43, so it's a concern of mine.  I've read that sedentary people can lose as much as 3-5% per year after 30!  Even cardio and just generally being active will help, but weight lifting is the best by far for retaining or even building muscle mass.  My point being, of course, that if you have lost muscle, your clothes may fit differently even at the same weight.

Are you sure they use the pinching fat method?  Most places seem to have switched to those electric impedance (is that the right term?) devices.  Those are pretty nice:  you just place both of your hands on the sensors for a few seconds, and voila, digital display of your body fat percentage.  It's pretty cool.  And I do think that knowing that can be helpful -- and rewarding when you see it go down.  At least, I assume it would be rewarding.   :lol:  I haven't had mine measured in quite awhile, I wonder if I would get some good news!  I have definitely improved:  I can see that my thighs are more muscled, and even though I have scrawny arms, they now have actual biceps muscles on them!   :D  I should get measured again.

Edited by Greta
  • Like 2

Even though my ankle isn't up for running, I decided there was no reason I couldn't hike.  So hubby and I did a short hike together.  It was only an hour, but it was on steep, rocky terrain, so that makes it more fun (and more work).

• Like 3

Greta - Thanks for mentioning the Bioelectrical Impedance technology to measure body fat. I'd never heard of those (you can buy different ones at WalMart even). 

I found this article on the subject, and it made good sense, and seems like a fairly reliable source (Berkeley Wellness, University of California)

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/diet-weight-loss/article/body-fat-scales-step-right

• Like 1

Dd and I are going on a girls-ski-day to the local park with excellent trail grooming. It's still a bit cold, but the wind is much less fierce. And the sun is shining, which is always a welcome sight!  :001_smile:  We plan to explore a few new trails. We'll keep some banana bread on our person for emergency purposes, and have the rest of the loaf in the car for motivational purposes to find our way back. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Yesterday's walking was shopping. 5 or 6 hrs(I was pooped- 4 different stores with 3 girls), we got a ton of great deals for dd1's room. Today I am working around the house. I moved a huge and heavy TV and various other things. I feel like I strained my pec a bit, nothing big I think. Tonight is swimming, mostly play. It is nasty out and we are already running behind so I don't foresee a walk today.

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

I am sitting here being a wimp because it is about as cold as it could be and the precipitation outside still be rain and I walked home from work (not far) and the fire had gone out. I am a poor fire builder so it's taken about an hour to get going.  My excuse is I have to warm up before I can do a warm up for my strength training. 

Like I said, a wimp. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

The skiing was incredible! Dd and I picked a new trail that is the local biathlon route. It was a long, winding 6km loop with lots of up and down hills. All along the route were black diamond signs, which on the downhill slopes mean advanced/steep. For cross-country skiing I think black diamond means "we'll torture you with never-ending uphills, followed by amazingly steep but too-short downhills."  default_girl_wacko.gif  It was fun, nonetheless. And a great work-out. 

• Like 3

Just got back from a family funeral - a very old-fashioned affair where the entire community brought food for the family, who gathered together for 3 solid days of food.  If I never see fried chicken again, it'll be fine!  And the baked goods... :scared:

Anyway, feeling rather sluggish from this weekend, I've decided that I'm going to do P90 (following the Sculpt rotation).  If given the choice, I would always do weights and no cardio, so I'm trying to force myself to a more balanced rotation.  I'm calling it my Countdown to Disney (we're 55 days out). 

• Like 3

Wimpie here finally warmed up  and I did my whole strength-training workout. DId not also do cardio as planned, but the strength-training was more important for today, I think. 

I have been going to bed on time and eating well--loads of fruits and veges. I really only *count* servings of fruits/veges and today I got in 9. 

So tomorrow, is must-do cardio day. The weather looks like I may be able to get it in outside, which would be nice. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

May I join? I have been fencing recreationally for a couple of years with my kids, but this year I've decided to take it a little more seriously, but still not too much. Now on a whim I signed up for a competition, or rather two. I figured it will give me sufficient motivation to improve. Now I am thinking that it wasn't too smart of a move as most, if not all, competitors are much younger, often taller, and definitely way more experienced. I will serve as a target practice. Still, it is done, and I will fence. The first one is on April 2. So, I am planning to fence 5 times a week, up from my usual 3, and maybe do some extra exercises at home. Right now, it seems that anyone who has a pulse can beat me. Today was the first time I fenced on Monday, it was a little overwhelming, as it was a class for very experienced fencers, but it went well. Tomorrow I'll have a private lesson and fence for at least 30 minutes with kids closer to my level. Any advice and attempts to convince me that I am not completely crazy are appreciated :)

• Like 5

Welcome to the new followers! Jump on in!

-

TMI:

This sickness is kicking my butt. I wish coughing counted as exercise and burned calories. After two days of not exercising or watching what I ate, I had to get out yesterday. I went to the Y in the evening and worked out the best I could with limited breathing ability. My ankles are really sore this morning; this is the main area responsible for my fibro diagnosis. Between the ankle pain, the cough, and not eating properly, I've not been happy. My increased exercising is only to lose weight (fitness is secondary at the moment) and sitting around trying to heal is wreaking havoc with my emotions which is causing me to eat without thinking.In the last three days I've had chips, chocolate chips, a York Mint, Lucky Charms, homemade cheese tortillas, and blueberry cobbler. I haven't been using the restroom regularly either so I'm bloated and miserable. We had a snow day yesterday and instead of playing the 2.5 hours of tennis as planned I had to cancel and babysit which didn't help the snacking. It's my Spring Break and so far all I've done is sit home due to illness and clean and organize the girls' rooms(something I'm not even sure they appreciate). I've got 7 weeks until our big family gathering and my list of things to do is long and getting longer. The only thing I really wanted was to have lost some weight and have my inlaws see that I'm not a lazy slob (to this day my MIL thinks I don't cook, clean, or shop; that DH does it all).

---

Enough whining - today I have an eye appt, and I think I'll get a pedicure. I've already screwed up my eating by having Fruity Pebbles for breakfast. I know I shouldn't have that carp in the house but DD allowed it for DGD and I'm weak.

• Like 1

Welcome Amber and Olga!   :seeya:  Wow, Olga, fencing sounds very cool!  Good for you for signing up for competition even though it sounds very challenging and intimidating.  I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience for you.  Wish we could all be there to cheer for you!  (Do people cheer at fencing matches?)  I'm in awe of anyone who has skill in a specific sport like that.  I have no such skills.

Scoutermom - I sure hope you feel better soon.  Being sick is such a disruption on so many levels.   :grouphug:

Yesterday was a crappy day for me, because I had a bad migraine, and a very bad mood to go along with it.  I went on a short walk at sunset with my daughter, and that was it for physical activity.  It was an unusually lovely sunset, even for New Mexico where we always have lovely sunsets, so that was nice.  The migraine isn't completely gone today, but it is quite a lot better.  So I'm hoping for a better day today.

Gained another pound, though.   :crying:  Since I've been doing pretty well on my diet, I can only conclude that the hormone problems that are giving me all these migraines are also causing the weight gain.  I don't know what to do except try to get even more strict about my diet.  (sigh)

Edited by Greta
  • Like 2

<snip>

Gained another pound, though.   :crying:  Since I've been doing pretty well on my diet, I can only conclude that the hormone problems that are giving me all these migraines are also causing the weight gain.  I don't know what to do except try to get even more strict about my diet.  (sigh)

I completely understand this. This is where I am, too. By getting more strict do you mean cutting calories or choosing different foods?

Do you want to do a three day challenge with me? We can begin tomorrow and do Tu/Wed/Thurs. We can see if that makes us feel better.

• Like 2

I completely understand this. This is where I am, too. By getting more strict do you mean cutting calories or choosing different foods?

Do you want to do a three day challenge with me? We can begin tomorrow and do Tu/Wed/Thurs. We can see if that makes us feel better.

Yes, I would love to do a challenge with you!  I think for now I will focus on choosing different foods.  I really don't have the willpower to be hungry all the time, which is what calorie restriction does to me.  But I do have the willpower to give up grains and substitute veggies, and choices like that.  I did really well on low carb until I starting having all these hormone problems, and then it gave me migraines.  Since I'm having migraines practically every day now anyway, maybe I should just go back to low carb?  Or try intermittent fasting?  I'm not sure what to do.   :(

• Like 3

Welcome Amber and Olga!   :seeya:  Wow, Olga, fencing sounds very cool!  Good for you for signing up for competition even though it sounds very challenging and intimidating.  I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience for you.  Wish we could all be there to cheer for you!  (Do people cheer at fencing matches?)  I'm in awe of anyone who has skill in a specific sport like that.  I have no such skills.

Scoutermom - I sure hope you feel better soon.  Being sick is such a disruption on so many levels.   :grouphug:

Yesterday was a crappy day for me, because I had a bad migraine, and a very bad mood to go along with it.  I went on a short walk at sunset with my daughter, and that was it for physical activity.  It was an unusually lovely sunset, even for New Mexico where we always have lovely sunsets, so that was nice.  The migraine isn't completely gone today, but it is quite a lot better.  So I'm hoping for a better day today.

Could your muscle mass be increasing?  I know that those following this thread have already discussed this, but the scale is so discouraging!  My scale weight goes up and down 3 lbs depending on sodium intake!  

Edited by solascriptura
  • Like 2

Yes, I would love to do a challenge with you!  I think for now I will focus on choosing different foods.  I really don't have the willpower to be hungry all the time, which is what calorie restriction does to me.  But I do have the willpower to give up grains and substitute veggies, and choices like that.  I did really well on low carb until I starting having all these hormone problems, and then it gave me migraines.  Since I'm having migraines practically every day now anyway, maybe I should just go back to low carb?  Or try intermittent fasting?  I'm not sure what to do.   :(

Wow!  when I tried low carb, I was so cranky that I had to stop for the sake of my family.  I'm sorry about the migraines.  :(  

• Like 1

One last idea...

Have you heard of volumetrics?  While I'm a relatively petite asian woman, I probably have the same appetite as a 200 lb man!  (my dh)  There is really no way that I can "eat whatever I want" in moderation.  I need to feel full and if I get hungry bad things happen.  haha..Volumetrics work for me because the quantities of low calorie healthy foods fill me up for hours.  So for lunch yesterday I had an enormous salad that kept me full/satisfied for 5 to 6 hours.  

• Like 2

Could your muscle mass be increasing?  I know that those following this thread have already discussed this, but the scale is so discouraging!  My scale weight goes up and down 3 lbs depending on sodium intake!  

What an encouraging thought, and how sweet of you to post it!  Unfortunately, though, the weight gain started when I was sick, and I was laying around in bed or on the couch all day, and not watching my diet very closely.  So I don't think that part could have been muscle.  Now I'm active again and watching my diet more closely, and it stayed steady for awhile and now seems to be increasing again.  I do gain a little bit of weight any time I workout hard enough for my muscles to get sore - I think I read somewhere that sore muscles retain a bit of water.  But it's just temporary, and nothing to worry about.  I did make my triceps really store this weekend, but I wouldn't think they would be large enough to retain a pound of water! I don't know.  Maybe I need to force myself to just step away from the scale for awhile.  It's very discouraging.

Wow!  when I tried low carb, I was so cranky that I had to stop for the sake of my family.  I'm sorry about the migraines.   :(

It's funny how different diets affect people so differently!  The first week of low-carb is hard for me, but after that, it's wonderful!  I love it.  It controls my appetite, makes me energetic during the day, and I sleep well at night.  It also makes my immune system much stronger (I have a ridiculously weak immune system without it).  I really miss it.  Don't get me wrong, eating bread and rice and tortillas has been really fun!  But I miss the virtually effortless weight loss/control.

By contrast, when I've tried calorie restriction, I am absolutely miserable.  Hungry all the time, weak, fatigued, and so CRANKY that it's completely unfair to those around me!  My fitness goals are really important to me right now, so it's just out of the question because of the weakness and fatigue.   

The problem is, I don't know what else to do!

• Like 1

One last idea...

Have you heard of volumetrics?  While I'm a relatively petite asian woman, I probably have the same appetite as a 200 lb man!  (my dh)  There is really no way that I can "eat whatever I want" in moderation.  I need to feel full and if I get hungry bad things happen.  haha..Volumetrics work for me because the quantities of low calorie healthy foods fill me up for hours.  So for lunch yesterday I had an enormous salad that kept me full/satisfied for 5 to 6 hours.  

I have not heard of this!  Thanks so much for mentioning it.  I'm off to do some reading!

• Like 1

I did weights with my husband this morning.  It was deadlift day.  (I always do a full-body workout, but I kind of define my workouts by which primary leg exercise we do.  That's the hardest but also the most important part of the workout to me.)

I do need to start doing more core work, though.  I tend to neglect/forget that sometimes.  I absolutely despise doing crunches.  Planks are hard and I hate them, but not in the same way:  with planks, I feel like the hard work pays off (never does with crunches).  So planks are in, but I need more variety.  What do you guys do for your core?

• Like 2

I did weights with my husband this morning.  It was deadlift day.  (I always do a full-body workout, but I kind of define my workouts by which primary leg exercise we do.  That's the hardest but also the most important part of the workout to me.)

I do need to start doing more core work, though.  I tend to neglect/forget that sometimes.  I absolutely despise doing crunches.  Planks are hard and I hate them, but not in the same way:  with planks, I feel like the hard work pays off (never does with crunches).  So planks are in, but I need more variety.  What do you guys do for your core?

Have you tried plank variations? (examples: Plank on forearms, plank on hands, plank on forearms with one leg raised, plank with one arm raised or with a shoulder tap.) In my playbook, the harder variations can be held for less time so if I do a plank with a leg raised, I go for 30 sec, not a minute. :) So a minute in all, but I get to switch legs part way through. 

Mountain climbers require you to stabilize the core while moving. They are included as core work in later New Rules books. 

Bird-dog 

Bear walks (probably don't want to do those in the gym, but they are fun with kids!) 

• Like 2

One last idea...

I've never heard the name, but I think I achieve the same effect you are describing by consciously trying to get in 8-10 servings of fruit/veges per day. I am quite full most of the time! And when I get hungry, I can eat quite a bit.  

• Like 2

I'm so bad at this!!!

I finally moved a weight into my office and yeatersay did 2 or 3 sets of 10 of several arm exercises. Then I ran out of time. I hope to get back to my ab exercises tomorrow, and get back on the treadmill.

What do you mean when you say, "I'm so bad at this!!" ?

• Like 2

Greta, have you tried the kind of intermittent fasting that is essentially a long night with no food? So leaving 13 hours between the last bite of food one day and the first bite of food the next? (Also assuming there are 3 hours between last food intake and bed.) There is some research base around 13 hours or more. 

Also, you might try avoiding being sedentary for 15 min after each meal. (Not exercising per se---walking around cleaning up the kitchen or sweeping, etc. counts. Just don't sit.) 

I bet that pound is temporary, but I know how discouraging it feels. I'm glad you posted about the muscle water retention. I think that might be responsible for some fluctuations up that I have been seeing. I'm going to go look and see if it correlates with weight lifting the day before. 

• Like 2

One last idea...

Have you heard of volumetrics? While I'm a relatively petite asian woman, I probably have the same appetite as a 200 lb man! (my dh) There is really no way that I can "eat whatever I want" in moderation. I need to feel full and if I get hungry bad things happen. haha..Volumetrics work for me because the quantities of low calorie healthy foods fill me up for hours. So for lunch yesterday I had an enormous salad that kept me full/satisfied for 5 to 6 hours.

Volumetrics is the book I used when I lost weigh several years ago. It really just points out things like, what will keep you feeling full for the same calories: a chocolate or an entire apple? A small cream chowder or very large bowl of veggie soup?

• Like 3

Have you tried plank variations? (examples: Plank on forearms, plank on hands, plank on forearms with one leg raised, plank with one arm raised or with a shoulder tap.) In my playbook, the harder variations can be held for less time so if I do a plank with a leg raised, I go for 30 sec, not a minute. :) So a minute in all, but I get to switch legs part way through. 

Mountain climbers require you to stabilize the core while moving. They are included as core work in later New Rules books. 

Bird-dog 

Bear walks (probably don't want to do those in the gym, but they are fun with kids!) 

Thanks for the ideas!  I've done a couple of these, but not all.  I've never tried it on one leg.  Sounds hard!

Greta, have you tried the kind of intermittent fasting that is essentially a long night with no food? So leaving 13 hours between the last bite of food one day and the first bite of food the next? (Also assuming there are 3 hours between last food intake and bed.) There is some research base around 13 hours or more. 

Also, you might try avoiding being sedentary for 15 min after each meal. (Not exercising per se---walking around cleaning up the kitchen or sweeping, etc. counts. Just don't sit.) 

I bet that pound is temporary, but I know how discouraging it feels. I'm glad you posted about the muscle water retention. I think that might be responsible for some fluctuations up that I have been seeing. I'm going to go look and see if it correlates with weight lifting the day before. 

These are great suggestions, Laurie!  Thanks!  I think that I can skip meals better than I can restrict calories at every meal.  I can't really skip breakfast because that gives me a migraine.  And my appetite is the biggest at lunch lately.  But a lot of times at dinner, I'm not very hungry.  Sometimes I eat more out of habit than hunger, and I enjoy participating in that meal because it's the one meal that all three of us (husband, daughter, myself) eat together.  So if I can develop enough self-control to do it, there's really no reason that I couldn't cook the meal for them, and sit with them and sip my favorite sparkling water or something while they eat.  

That's a great suggestion about not being sedentary right after a meal, too.  I think I had read something about how much that impacts your body's insulin response, but I had forgotten about it!

• Like 2

Today went a touch more smoothly but we are still adjusting to this time change, at least we got caught up with school. My sleep has not been very good at all whch means no am work-outs, especially not with the time change which has me starting off behind as it is. I'm not sure if the sleep is hormones, thyroid, or the fact that I am operating at a bit of a calorie restriction, which my body generally doesn't like, I sleep like a baby when I'm gaining weight, it stinks!

Yoga at home with the kids today. I finally got off my butt and practiced the class I will be teaching Thurs. I finally made a plan for activity yesterday. I will practice Yoga at home with the kids for the next 2 days and then teach it Thurs. afternoon with the k'ers. The weather isn't that great here, come Friday it is supposed to warm back up so I probably won't do much walking until then. Friday I plan some good ol' manual labor cleaning out the shed and closet, carrying various things across the yard to the shed. Sat. will hopefully be painting and a nice walk with the girls. I hope to do some floor work- handstand, armbalancing etc tomorrow.

Laurie already mentioned lots of great core exercises, I do a lot of plank variations and just work that uses the core for stabilization- ie handstand work- the core must be engaged.

more ideas- slow is harder than fast, that way you cannot use momentum, stop when you cannot stay engaged, keep good form

-from plank bring your knee to your elbow and hold it there- do not raise your butt, alternate legs

-from plank bring your knee to the opposite elbow- hold it- you will have to twist some, make sure to keep your hips from dipping to the ground

-side plank, one hand on the ground, one foot on the ground, you make a sideways star, you can put the sole of the bottom foot down at first

-from downward dog, bend your knees and lower them until they hover right above the ground hold it there

-from bridge position alternate lifting one foot off the ground at a time(marching), slow and with control, try to keep your hips as level and high as you can

-slowly crawling, then try to crawl without your knees touching the ground, again keeping as low as possible, pretend your crawling under something

The volumetrics info is interesting. I know that like Laurie mentioned the more veggies i eat the fuller I feel, I've been busy the last several ays and slacking on cooking and even though my calorie count has been on target I am feeling hungrier at times. 

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I managed a second workout today to make up for missing it yesterday.  An hour of cardio.  I started out on the AMT machine and realized I was feeling pretty good and could push myself more, so I did the second half-hour on the stair climber.  

I saw something like that on Dr. Oz a few years back.
Here it is:
http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/four-hours-your-perfect-body-pt-3

Thanks!

more ideas- slow is harder than fast, that way you cannot use momentum, stop when you cannot stay engaged, keep good form

-from plank bring your knee to your elbow and hold it there- do not raise your butt, alternate legs

-from plank bring your knee to the opposite elbow- hold it- you will have to twist some, make sure to keep your hips from dipping to the ground

-side plank, one hand on the ground, one foot on the ground, you make a sideways star, you can put the sole of the bottom foot down at first

-from downward dog, bend your knees and lower them until they hover right above the ground hold it there

-from bridge position alternate lifting one foot off the ground at a time(marching), slow and with control, try to keep your hips as level and high as you can

-slowly crawling, then try to crawl without your knees touching the ground, again keeping as low as possible, pretend your crawling under something

Wow, lots of great suggestions.  Thanks!  I hope that your sleep will improve soon.  For all my whining about my migraines, I have to say that my migraine medication sure helps me sleep well.  There's a silver lining, at least.   :001_smile:

• Like 1