Menu

One more credit /grades question- non academic electives

I've never listed a grade for things like PE, art, music required in our state. I put pass/ fail only.

But we have to list them in our paperwork.

I have not even counted them in GPA or credits at all.

I gave grades for more academic electives- health (we used a graded online program), extra history classes, etc

Schools give grades for these "fluffy" classes, right? Like A,B,C, D ?

Adding grades to those on a homeschool transcript would boost GPA but seems silly.

But if schools do it, then should we if we want comparative transcripts? (Not really comparable, but closer?)

Ugh, I hate transcript writing issues.

I would just give the letter grade. Yes, it seems silly especially for a student that has very strong courses otherwise.

Colleges expect to see these courses and expect them to have letter grades. They know they are fluffy!

If the college counts it in GPA, it will help your student. If the college recalculates a core course GPA without it, no harm done. The college will not think it silly you have graded these courses for your student. It is standard practice.

• Like 1

I have chosen not to give grades for PE, music and other not-so-academic electives. I give a grade of P for completing the course and explain it on the transcript.

None of the (total of 14) colleges my kids applied to had any issue with that.

Edited by regentrude

Just because a class isn't a core academic ultra rigorous whatever doesn't necessarily mean it is "fluffy" or of no value. Sure, students can treat them like blow-off classes, but others actually value them and work HARD, even earning honors or AP credit. I see no reason why they shouldn't be calculated for gpa.

I don't assign high grades in art/PE/dance classes to inflate gpa or manufacture credits, I do so because my students have put several hundred hours into each credit at maximum effort.

Long ago in my high school days I saw some of the best and brightest kids in my school lose class rank due to their lack of effort and/or ability in so-called blowoff classes.

• Like 1

Our state schools give letter grades for all elective classes, but then the transcripts have a separate "core" GPA and "overall" GPA.  I did the same.

It may not work for everyone, but I made most of my choices based on what our state does.  It just seemed easier to say, "That's the way Georgia does it," than give so much detailed explanation of why I chose a specific method.  

YMMV, if you are applying to highly selective or lottery schools.  I think there is more of a game to be played there.

• Like 1

I just gave S for those classes (satisfactory), but when some of my kids took those same classes at the local PS, they got actual grades.  So, I think a grade is fine.  It was pretty easy to get an A if you were a good student.  It wasn't based on actual talent, because let's face it, some students are naturally good artists or good athletes, whereas for others it doesn't come as easily.  Their grade was based on completing assignments on time, being responsible and dedicated, trying your best.  

I just gave S for those classes (satisfactory), but when some of my kids took those same classes at the local PS, they got actual grades. So, I think a grade is fine. It was pretty easy to get an A if you were a good student. It wasn't based on actual talent, because let's face it, some students are naturally good artists or good athletes, whereas for others it doesn't come as easily. Their grade was based on completing assignments on time, being responsible and dedicated, trying your best.

Ah yes, I remember some of the best athletes and talented artists NOT getting As in those subjects in school. I specifically remember each day in gym class there was a possibility of 4 points: 1 each for attendance, effort, ability, and preparedness/shower (yes, we got points for taking a shower and being in dress code/uniform) and we were also tested on game rules- labeling a field and player positions, scoring, etc. so an unathletic slug like me could get 3 or occasionally 4 points per class, or a B, but by doing well on the tests I could get an A. Similar in Art... complete assignments, do what was actually assigned, tests on art history. I earned those grades way more than I earned my A's in Math and English, THOSE sadly were fluffy blowoff classes for me.

• Like 1

Do whatever your local public schools do if you are trying for merit scholarships at state colleges.

In general, I would not assign Pass/Fail for any classes unless that's what your local public schools do. You should check with the state universities you are looking at to see how they would treat P/F grades. I have heard rumors of some colleges calculating a Pass as a C. Even if they don't calculate the Pass into the gpa at all, it could still disadvantage your son if everyone else has A's in Band and Health calculated into their gpa while his gpa is based on only core classes.

This is the one time where it could really pay off (literally - in merit $$$) to follow the crowd.

• Like 6

Do whatever your local public schools do if you are trying for merit scholarships at state colleges.

In general, I would not assign Pass/Fail for any classes unless that's what your local public schools do. You should check with the state universities you are looking at to see how they would treat P/F grades. I have heard rumors of some colleges calculating a Pass as a C. Even if they don't calculate the Pass into the gpa at all, it could still disadvantage your son if everyone else has A's in Band and Health calculated into their gpa while his gpa is based on only core classes.

This is the one time where it could really pay off (literally - in merit $$$) to follow the crowd.

Oh, very good point. Thanks

• Like 1

Yes, I gave grades for all classes because of this.

I have heard rumors of some colleges calculating a Pass as a C. Even if they don't calculate the Pass into the gpa at all, it could still disadvantage your son if everyone else has A's in Band and Health calculated into their gpa while his gpa is based on only core classes.

The above is why I gave grades and included these classes. If the schools want to recalculate, they are welcome to do anything they want.

• Like 1