Menu

Well Trained Bodies - 2/26/17

Granny_Weatherwax

Dawn - I get it. Completely. I would love to move back home (it won't happen) but not at what I look like now. I hate going for visits because I know the first thing people mention is how I look. I also know that it is a topic of conversation as soon as I leave.

I hope the accountability of the clinic is what you need. If there is anything specific we can do for you on this thread, let us know. 

-

I got over my meltdown yesterday and decided to keep moving forward today. I was at the Y by 6:30 am and walked inclines on the treadmill (began at 3 and worked up to 13), used the stair climber, and then did some strength training. DD, a friend, and I are going back to the Y tonight to workout again so I kept it a bit light this morning. We are beginning the Wall Sit challenge today. If anybody here wants to join, you are welcome.

I'm having a good breakfast - 1/3 c cran-grape juice, 3 egg whites, 1/4 mushrooms, 2 slices canadian bacon and a cup of chai. The chai is actually 2/3 c unsweetened almond milk and 2/3 c lightly sweetened Oregon chai. (Edited: I had to add a tsp of sugar) For lunch, I'll have an apple and a cutie and drink as much water as I can. For dinner, I'm planning on a salad with grilled chicken, pine nuts, raisins & lite Sweet vidalia onion dressing. I have baby carrots for a snack.

• Like 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to meet with the folks today at the weight loss clinic.  The fact of the matter is, I plan to come home and tell the family:

Get the CRAP out!  You can have X and X (mostly plain chips and oreos) because I don't like them.  But I will NOT be making you a different meal anymore.

You get a lean protein, a starch on the side, and a vegetable that I too can have.  

If you want dessert, I will no longer be making any, you can have fruit or oreos, or you can make your own dessert, but I will NOT have it around.  

Honestly, even though my husband thinks I just need to exercise more, he is on board with changing eating habits and does support having more fruits and vegetables and far less junk.

So, that is what I will be doing.

I've got a friend who as a teen opened the fridge and kitchen cupboard one morning and the old, "normal" food was all replaced with healthy, organic food.  It was a sudden and total transformation that her parents had decided to jump into 100%.  I asked her if she was annoyed, and she said that the new food was definitely better tasting. She still buys and eats organic. I'm sure that there are a lot more details to this story, but it is interesting.

I'm not sure that a "clean sweep" would work for every one, or for every member of the family, without some cooperation and buy-in. I see part of my job as a mom to be an educator on healthy nutrition, lead by example, and try to ensure that a variety of healthy foods are served and available for the family.

What I don't do, is make my personal food issues, in this case oral allergies, in your case weight loss, the family's issue. If it makes sense for the children to have a side-serving of rice, pasta or potatoes, I don't have to eat it. I can have 1 or 2 extra veggies. 

It might be a good idea for you and your husband to do some research into the actual facts around exercising and burning calories. While exercise has many positive benefits, it is not the most effective way to lose weight. It simply takes too much time to burn calories. Much better to not consume them in the first place. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I missed my Monday workout, but I did manage to take a light mile walk with the little kids.

Ate like garbage for Fat Tuesday, but...

I feel like I kicked butt today. I've never been much of a cardio person. Before, I usually just did about 15 minutes or so to warm myself up for weights, and threw in a 30 minute go from time to time just to say I did.  Now that I'm going to be 40 in less than 2 months, I feel like I have to give it a bit more attention, so my first few weeks back at the gym have included regular 30 minute elliptical sessions.  Today, I pushed it to 45 minutes and increased my (machine-measured) calorie burn by 75%!  And it felt pretty awesome!

• Like 5

So I am in week 3 of tracking my calories using the LoseIt app. I have roughly 70 pound to lose, which really sucks because I've been my ideal weight before but multiple pregnancies, surgeries, and depression really messed with my hormones and ability to stay as active as I like so I find myself at my heaviest ever.

My plan is to track my food and just lose weight that way. once I plateau I'll start adding in exercise. Right now my calorie allotment for the day is roughly 1800 and I've been losing nicely. I'm down 8 pounds since 3 weeks ago.

Edited by hjffkj
  • Like 3

Got to sleep at the target time last night, so slept at least 7 1/2 hours. 

Today is a pretty easy day exercise wise because I have Zumba. All I have to do is get dressed and drive there. It's kind of a nice break from having to mentally push myself during singleton workouts. The Zumba instructor will do the HIIT for me. I'll get pushed just fine!

And this morning, the scale cooperated a bit. Here's hoping it sticks! (I am never quite sure if it's a real loss or just one of those fluctuations until it's been around a while. :) ) 

• Like 3

Lots of walking going on today, and some carrying. Dh needed the car today, so I'm walking the dc to band and helping dd carry her trombone. I also walked dd to her dentist appointment. And I'll walk to the grocery store. I really should do this more often. It's not fun in the winter, but as we're having early spring-like weather it's actually quite pleasant.

• Like 4

I've got a friend who as a teen opened the fridge and kitchen cupboard one morning and the old, "normal" food was all replaced with healthy, organic food.  It was a sudden and total transformation that her parents had decided to jump into 100%.  I asked her if she was annoyed, and she said that the new food was definitely better tasting. She still buys and eats organic. I'm sure that there are a lot more details to this story, but it is interesting.

I'm not sure that a "clean sweep" would work for every one, or for every member of the family, without some cooperation and buy-in. I see part of my job as a mom to be an educator on healthy nutrition, lead by example, and try to ensure that a variety of healthy foods are served and available for the family.

What I don't do, is make my personal food issues, in this case oral allergies, in your case weight loss, the family's issue. If it makes sense for the children to have a side-serving of rice, pasta or potatoes, I don't have to eat it. I can have 1 or 2 extra veggies. 

Oh, I am not cutting rice, potatoes, etc....but I can't have the chips, packaged crackers, and sugar around.   They will definitely get carbs.

It might be a good idea for you and your husband to do some research into the actual facts around exercising and burning calories. While exercise has many positive benefits, it is not the most effective way to lose weight. It simply takes too much time to burn calories. Much better to not consume them in the first place. 

Nope, not worth the discussion.  I am just going to lose the weight, sans his comments about exercise.

• Like 2

We took a break from regular life to go to my son's awayeet this past weekend. We ended up having a wonky sleep schedule. I did make it an effort to do at least 1.5 miles each day except Sunday when we were driving 7 hours.

We jumped right back into school and everyday life the very next day. And my kids got sick. So I'm up with the two littles all the night long and getting up to put in my three miles. And I am DRAGGING. My walks are slower and I'm having a hard time getting myself out for round two in the afternoons. I didn't take vitamin d all this weekend so I wonder if that's playing a part.

Regardless, I'm still trying! I am contemplating workouts to tighten the muscles around my core and maybe my arms, but thinking about it is probably as far as I'll get this week.

• Like 4

sleep was bad last night. I was up in the night b/c I just ate entirely too many carbs yesterday and then I was kept up by the storm, I thought we might have to move everyone to the basement for a tornado but it was just a watch and started to calm down. 

Today is a fasting day so activity will be minimal.

No consistent work outs this week but still doing well with limited caffeine and a healthier diet.  Also got about 7 hours of sleep last night.  Better than the rest of the week.

Baby steps!

I missed my Monday workout, but I did manage to take a light mile walk with the little kids.

Ate like garbage for Fat Tuesday, but...

I feel like I kicked butt today. I've never been much of a cardio person. Before, I usually just did about 15 minutes or so to warm myself up for weights, and threw in a 30 minute go from time to time just to say I did.  Now that I'm going to be 40 in less than 2 months, I feel like I have to give it a bit more attention, so my first few weeks back at the gym have included regular 30 minute elliptical sessions.  Today, I pushed it to 45 minutes and increased my (machine-measured) calorie burn by 75%!  And it felt pretty awesome!

I had some splurges yesterday too. Meals were good ad I kept them a bit lower on calories, but I more than made up with it in my snacking. Way too many cookies.

So I am in week 3 of tracking my calories using the LoseIt app. I have roughly 70 pound to lose, which really sucks because I've been my ideal weight before but multiple pregnancies, surgeries, and depression really messed with my hormones and ability to stay as active as I like so I find myself at my heaviest ever.

My plan is to track my food and just lose weight that way. once I plateau I'll start adding in exercise. Right now my calorie allotment for the day is roughly 1800 and I've been losing nicely. I'm down 8 pounds since 3 weeks ago.

Congrats on your loss so far!

Got to sleep at the target time last night, so slept at least 7 1/2 hours. 

Today is a pretty easy day exercise wise because I have Zumba. All I have to do is get dressed and drive there. It's kind of a nice break from having to mentally push myself during singleton workouts. The Zumba instructor will do the HIIT for me. I'll get pushed just fine!

And this morning, the scale cooperated a bit. Here's hoping it sticks! (I am never quite sure if it's a real loss or just one of those fluctuations until it's been around a while. :) ) 

I hear you on the outside classes, I'm still a bit sore from Monday yoga, sometimes it is easier to be pushed by others.

I had a bit of a drop on the scae today too, we'll see if it stays but fuctuating down is a good sign.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Lots of walking going on today, and some carrying. Dh needed the car today, so I'm walking the dc to band and helping dd carry her trombone. I also walked dd to her dentist appointment. And I'll walk to the grocery store. I really should do this more often. It's not fun in the winter, but as we're having early spring-like weather it's actually quite pleasant.

Quoting myself just to say that after all that walking and carrying, I'm toast. It was a much more strenuous work-out than I was expecting. 

• Like 4

I'm toast here and I've hardly done anything. I've not done much fasting as I've been pregnant or breastfeeding most Easters since joining the church, last year I think was the first in a long time. I am doing better then I did then but am not doing great, I am tired and my head hurts (and I am not even fully abstaining from food rules are 2 small snacks and 1 meal-). I am saving my meal for supper time, I hope I don't wake in the night hungry.

• Like 3

Stumbling block:

My knees hurt.  Not sure what to do about that.  do I push through?  DH says maybe instead of the treadmill I should do the ski machine.  

First post on one of these threads. I had severe knee pain on and off for 6 months and I did see a doctor which I do recommend if it lasts more than a day or so or is severe or if range of motion is limited by it.

I found glucosamine with MSM from Costco to be good along with tumeric pills (but you could make a tea or add it to your food too), I also used ice 3-4 times a day when it was bad and now use it at first sign of pain along with ibuprofen and rest and elevation.  A note on ibuprofen is to ask doctor about it and I personally would not make a habit of taking it every day for more than 3-5 days or so since it can cause health issues. I also found mild compression with knee ace to be helpful during the worst of it.

• Like 4

Got 9-10 servings of fruits and veges in today. Went to Zumba and discovered I have some DOMS from deadlifts yesterday!

Tomorrow, it's weightlifting and some walking. Tomorrow's weightlifting includes weighted squats which I just don't like. I have to make myself do them. So I am hoping that by writing it here, I actually do them instead of delay and delay.  Once I do them, I like how I feel, but they are hard during the actual movement. 

• Like 3

I did make it to the Y for a second work out last night. I did more incline treadmill as a warm up (waiting on my DD and her DF), wall sit (made it to 62 seconds), weighted squats, military barbell press, incline barbell press, and assisted pull ups (96 # x 10. 88# x 3). This was my first try at the lower weight (88#) and I was quite happy with three, esp. since I wasn't 'fresh'

My menu changed yesterday a bit. I had a crispy rice treat (38 cals) and hot cocoa for a snack with DGD. She wanted me to make homemade soup for dinner so I obliged. I'll eat my salad for lunch today.

I had to smile last night after our Wall Sit Challenge. I usually write my workouts in the back 1/3 of my bullet journal. I went to write the WSC time in the same space with today's workout stats and my DD told me I needed to create a special challenge page in the middle section "with the rest of [my] important challenges." :) I guess she has noticed my journal more than I thought she had.

• Like 4

Woot! I made it through my fast. That probably seems like nothing but I had tried and failed last year. After my last baby everything got all wonked out and my ability to regulate my blood glucose levels hasn't been the best. BUT that has been improved as of late(my A1C was improved on my last tests and I have noticed that I can wait to eat in the morning without issue and sometimes workout fasted), my hormone levels seemed to have normalized(4yrs after her birth), now if I can line out my thyroid too, I might be normal again. I even slept last night.

My aerial yoga class is cancelled for today, I am trying to decide if I want to go to regular yoga class, part of me says yes, part wants to stay home with the kids. I have yoga training this weekend so I won't see them much and I will be doing lots of yoga so I don't want to come in sore.

• Like 3

Dh and I had our weekly singles tennis match this morning. I lost dismally; lost focus and lost control of the balls. Hopefully I'll come back strong on Saturday at our doubles league matches. 

We got more snow! This means I'll get to squeeze out a few more skiing days before the end of the month. After that, all the snow can melt and I'll be ready to play tennis outside in April. Now if only the weather would fall in line with my plans. ;)

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

I had an unusually busy day yesterday and didn't get in any exercise.  The schedule was tight, but if I'm being honest, I could have done something if I'd tried harder!

Got in a good cardio workout this morning, though.  It's usually a weight day, but since I didn't do my cardio yesterday, I just pushed the schedule back a day.  I did half an hour of intense stair climber, but my gym was so hot (as always) that I couldn't face the thought of another half hour.  So I switched to the AMT machine for the second half-hour, because those are easier plus they're under the giant fans, so they're slightly cooler!

Oh, I also had a, um, "dietary indiscretion" yesterday :lol:  My sweet daughter wanted to take me out to one of her favorite dessert places for a mid-afternoon treat to thank me for something that I'd done for her (wasn't a big deal, but she's generous that way).  Very hard to say no to that!  I skipped dinner, because I just wasn't hungry, so maybe that helped make up a bit for the sugar overdose.   

• Like 4

Greta, it sounds like you made a good choice to me.

Adventure/walk today

Hit a new spot, which required some crawling to get through thorns, I know it is good for me but it is not something I enjoy. I found some good logs to practice my balance on, which were suspended 4 ft above hip deep brisk water, adding a bit of fear factor, I am happy to report I did not fall in :)

I'm feeling a bit lazy this week but on the other hand I don't like to overdo before training and in general life stuff I have been on top of it, it is all about balance. My focus shifts from day to day because homeschooling 4 kids and taking care of everything requires a wide variety of things. 

Goals

hit at least 1 yoga class through the week done, I will have 1 class Friday and 2 to 3 both Saturday and Sunday

-do yoga at home 3x+ 2x so far

-walk 4+ 3x so far

-continuing tracking food-  on track

-bodyweight strength training 1x not done, planning for this evening

• Like 3

Adventure/walk today

Hit a new spot, which required some crawling to get through thorns, I know it is good for me but it is not something I enjoy. I found some good logs to practice my balance on, which were suspended 4 ft above hip deep brisk water, adding a bit of fear factor, I am happy to report I did not fall in :)

Respect!  :ohmy:   :hurray:

• Like 2

Adventure/walk today

]

That sounds like fun!

Yesterday was a RevAbs day and the workout was primarily ab work with some short cardio intervals. I had to follow the easier modified moves for all the ab work. Clearly, I have some work to there. I came close to 10 fruit/vegetable servings but I may have been a bit short. (Hard to tell with soup.) I didn't drink enough water.

Today was Insanity. It'll be awesome when I can keep up with those workouts. I did better today than Tuesday though. I'm also not as sore as I anticipated. I'm pretty sore but not so much that I want to skip a workout. I have my 10 servings of fruit/veg and I have just about 16oz of water left. I'll finish this water bottle while I sit at piano lessons tonight.

This feels like it's going to be a good month. I can't wait to see how I feel at the end of the month if I keep the exercise, water, and vegetables going. :-)

• Like 4

GRRR!  I can't get multi-quote to work! Thank you ladies :) 

2ndgen, I'm with you, it is going to be a good month!

bodyweight work done, simple mishmash, 3 sets

push-ups

squats

pistol squats

hangs

lock-off

arm-balance

handstand against the wall hold

• Like 4

Only got in about 7 or 8 fruits/veges today, but it was fine I think. 

Did the strength-training workout with the squats, which I dread. Sat's workout is deadlifts instead of squats, so I don't have to do them till Mon or Tuesday again! :) 

I was very excited to really make a jump in my push-ups. While I am working on increasing # of full body push-ups and doing sets of inclined push-ups, I also do a set of knee push-ups. Today I hit the mark that puts me into the "good" category for my age from "above average" and I checked down the chart of ages, and it puts me at least in the average range for even a 20-something. So I am really happy!  Upper body strength was a weakness even when I was an athlete in high school and college, so it's good to see the progress in old age! haha!

• Like 4

Only got in about 7 or 8 fruits/veges today, but it was fine I think. 

Did the strength-training workout with the squats, which I dread. Sat's workout is deadlifts instead of squats, so I don't have to do them till Mon or Tuesday again! :)

I was very excited to really make a jump in my push-ups. While I am working on increasing # of full body push-ups and doing sets of inclined push-ups, I also do a set of knee push-ups. Today I hit the mark that puts me into the "good" category for my age from "above average" and I checked down the chart of ages, and it puts me at least in the average range for even a 20-something. So I am really happy!  Upper body strength was a weakness even when I was an athlete in high school and college, so it's good to see the progress in old age! haha!

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Way to go!!

• Like 3

I wasn't sure I was going to get in any exercise today (Ihad 6 hours of grading to do and it wore me out.) but DH convinced me to go after dinner.

I did a cardio warm up and then some strength training. Today is day two of the wall sit challenge and i held it for 70s. I'm glad I went. 

I'm off to shower and read my Weight Training Without Injury book. I really want to try new machines and start building a more robust weight training routine.

By your updates, it sounds as if everyone is off to a great start this month. I hope we can all have positive updates in 29 days!!

• Like 3

Had my weekly weigh in and was down 4.6 lbs. The big numbers should stop within the next week or so and level out to a pound a week hopefully. As of 3 weeks ago I'm down 11 pounds simply by tracking my calories and staying at roughly 1800 a day.

• Like 3

Laurie, that's great! I really struggle with upper body strength, and I hate push-ups. So I'm very impressed!

It has taken me for.ev.er. I just went back and looked at my health log and in July 2015, I was super-excited that I had done ONE knee push-up! 

So when I add 4 more, I'll be excellent for my age. Then I'll start to go backwards in age brackets by decades. :) 

I will also be trying to increase my full body push-ups. 

But I am proof that it can be done!

• Like 2

Got a full night's sleep again, and am definitely down at least 1 pound this week. That's good. 

Today is just a cardio day. I will either do walking/jogging or do some Zumba on my own with You tube videos.

I've done some kind of cardio every day this week so far and strength training twice. Tomorrow is strength and cardio. 

• Like 2

I went for an epic cross-country ski with all 4 kids this morning into the local hills/mountains. It was a little colder and windier than expected, and at one point it felt positively arctic-like, but we all survived. The lemon loaf to munch on during the car ride home made all the pain fade into some far-off memory. ;) 

• Like 2

Can I just say.... trying to get in shape and lose a few pounds after 40 just sucks?

I've been working out hard (6 hours a week) and watching my diet for the past 3.5 weeks and have lost only a few pounds. I do 3 Bodypump classes, 1 Barre class, 1 cardio kickboxing and jog on the other day. I do love how I feel but man, I miss being able to cut back on my food intake a bit and dropping 5 lbs like I did in my 20's.

Edited by solascriptura
  • Like 4

I took today off.  It is the first day I have taken off this school year.  I went to the weight loss center to get the initial visit in, and I had planned to spend a few hours working on the house, but I am indeed sick!

ARGH!

If I had known I would be sick, I would have just gone to work!  HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and they weighed me and I am already down 10 pounds from where I thought I was (my highest weight ever!) so that is a good start. I have not stepped on a scale in a LONG time.

I would love to get 18 pounds off in the next 8 weeks.  We will see.

• Like 4

Can I just say.... trying to get in shape and lose a few pounds after 40 just sucks?

I've been working out hard (6 hours a week) and watching my diet for the past 3.5 weeks and have lost only a few pounds. I do 3 Bodypump classes, 1 Barre class, 1 cardio kickboxing and jog on the other day. I do love how I feel but man, I miss being able to cut back on my food intake a bit and dropping 5 lbs like I did in my 20's.

Think of it as a long-term "labour of love" for your health, now and for the next few decades. It's going to take time to get into great shape and lose some pounds. If you've already lost pounds after only 3.5 weeks you should be jumping for joy. Some of us don't lose that fast.

You're doing excellent! Just keep at it. 

• Like 5

Think of it as a long-term "labour of love" for your health, now and for the next few decades. It's going to take time to get into great shape and lose some pounds. If you've already lost pounds after only 3.5 weeks you should be jumping for joy. Some of us don't lose that fast.

You're doing excellent! Just keep at it.

Thank you! You're right, absolutely. I need to keep things in perspective and stay positive. I've neglected my health for way too long.

• Like 3

I took today off. It is the first day I have taken off this school year. I went to the weight loss center to get the initial visit in, and I had planned to spend a few hours working on the house, but I am indeed sick!

ARGH!

If I had known I would be sick, I would have just gone to work! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and they weighed me and I am already down 10 pounds from where I thought I was (my highest weight ever!) so that is a good start. I have not stepped on a scale in a LONG time.

I would love to get 18 pounds off in the next 8 weeks. We will see.

Sorry to hear you're sick. What kind of plan are they putting you on at the weight loss clinic? If you don't mind sharing.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear you're sick. What kind of plan are they putting you on at the weight loss clinic? If you don't mind sharing.

It is a low carb/kitosis type diet.  I fought doing it for a long time, but nothing else worked!

The first week is the hardest.  800 calories per day, no veggies, no carbs.  I can have their own protein shake once per day, an ind. serving of Oikos Triple Zero per day, and almond milk.  Those do have some carbs, but other than that, I have meat, low fat cheese, etc...

Veggies will be added the 2nd week and the calories will go up a bit too.

This first week will be brutal.  But I don't see it as any worse than the diet they put you on after getting Gastric Bypass Surgery.  I am trying to avoid the surgery.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

It is a low carb/kitosis type diet. I fought doing it for a long time, but nothing else worked!

The first week is the hardest. 800 calories per day, no veggies, no carbs. I can have their own protein shake once per day, an ind. serving of Oikos Triple Zero per day, and almond milk. Those do have some carbs, but other than that, I have meat, low fat cheese, etc...

This first week will be brutal. But I don't see it as any worse than the diet they put you on after getting Gastric Bypass Surgery. I am trying to avoid the surgery.

That does sound tough but worth it to avoid surgery. Good luck with week one!

• Like 3

Preach!!

• Like 3

After yesterday's late evening workout, I awoke to sore legs. I think it's the wall sit challenge since that's the only thing that's new. Today is 80 seconds.

I drove to the cities and played ladies' doubles tennis for 90 mins. I had a total blast. I am so happy I forced myself out of my comfort zone and scheduled these out-of-town matches. I don't know how long I'll be able to afford to do it as I have to pay guest fees plus gas for the 90 mile round trip.

Breakfast was good today (bacon, eggs and chai) but lunch was GF pasta (about a cup) grilled chicken tenders, baby carrots, and a GF muffin. Tonight will be a salad.

• Like 2

Oh, man, it is so hard not to look back, isn't it?  I really did not expect my 40's to be as challenging as they have proven to be.  And I'm only 43, so who knows what great things are still in store for me!   :lol:

Honestly, though, a few pounds of loss over 3.5 weeks is not bad at all!  I think you're doing great!   :hurray:

Edited by Greta
  • Like 2

Today was weights.  My husband wasn't feeling great, so we only did three exercises, but we did heavier weights, and one more set of each than we usually do.  Leg press, overhead press, bench press.  I'm hoping to get in a walk or something else today, too.  Nothing serious, but just want to keep moving.

• Like 4

It is a low carb/kitosis type diet.  I fought doing it for a long time, but nothing else worked!

The first week is the hardest.  800 calories per day, no veggies, no carbs.  I can have their own protein shake once per day, an ind. serving of Oikos Triple Zero per day, and almond milk.  Those do have some carbs, but other than that, I have meat, low fat cheese, etc...

This first week will be brutal.  But I don't see it as any worse than the diet they put you on after getting Gastric Bypass Surgery.  I am trying to avoid the surgery.

Good luck, Dawn!  I ate keto for years, and I loved it.  The first week will be brutal, but it gets so much easier after that!  Did they warn you about the sodium loss?  When you drop your carb intake below about 60g per day, it changes the way that your kidneys process electrolytes.  So you will lose a ton of sodium, which can result in headaches, fatigue, constipation, and muscle cramps.  If you weigh yourself every day, you'll know exactly when this happens (usually around the third or fourth day), because in the course of a single day you will lose 2 pounds!  So you'll want to supplement with extra sodium (drink salty broth or pickle juice, take salt tablets, add more salt to your food, whatever you need to do) and stay well hydrated.  Doing that will help you avoid the "Atkins Flu" that you've probably heard about.

• Like 2

Good luck, Dawn!  I ate keto for years, and I loved it.  The first week will be brutal, but it gets so much easier after that!  Did they warn you about the sodium loss?  When you drop your carb intake below about 60g per day, it changes the way that your kidneys process electrolytes.  So you will lose a ton of sodium, which can result in headaches, fatigue, constipation, and muscle cramps.  If you weigh yourself every day, you'll know exactly when this happens (usually around the third or fourth day), because in the course of a single day you will lose 2 pounds!  So you'll want to supplement with extra sodium (drink salty broth or pickle juice, take salt tablets, add more salt to your food, whatever you need to do) and stay well hydrated.  Doing that will help you avoid the "Atkins Flu" that you've probably heard about.

They gave me supplements but I think I would like to find alternatives, as their stuff is pricey.  But it will get me through the first month.

• Like 2

I'm sore today, we'll I was already a bit sore yesterday, push-ups and such wasn't the best choice before a class on shoulders but I made it through.

My weight has stayed down consistently down 1lb+ going on 4 days now, (2lbs down after fasting likely as I was a bit dehydrated). Considering that I am currently sore, I'm calling that a big win for the week. I expect it might bump after a weekend of working out and soreness but that is to be expected.

• Like 3