Menu

What's with the ads?

shinyhappypeople

Free Homeschool Curriculum & Resources

Arithmetic we need

Arithmetic from primer through grade 6. Grades 7 and 8 appear to be consumer math, with grade 8 teacher's book currently available for borrowing. . These materials are from Canada dated around 1950 or so, in full color. Users may need to adjust currency from Canadian dollar depending on their location.  

For most grades, there is a  student's textbook, teacher's guide with answer key and teaching notes for each page, and an additional workbook with practice questions. There is a well written scope and sequence in the beginning of each teacher's guide for those who need to submit this information for review or those who may wish it for their own records.

These books were converted to digital format in 2017, so hopefully the grade 7 and 8 materials will become available soon as well.

Grade K - 1 combined into one volume

Teacher's guide

Textbook

Grade 2

Teacher's guide

Textbook 

Grade 3

Teacher's guide

Textbook

Workbook

Grade 4

Teacher's guide

Textbook

Workbook

Grade 5

Teacher's guide

Textbook

Workbook

Grade 7

Teacher's guide - not currently available

Textbook - not currently available

Workbook - not currently available

Grade 8

Teacher's guide - 14 day borrow window

Textbook - not currently available

Workbook - not currently available

Jolly Numbers (Daily Life - Arithmetics) - by the authors of Arithmetic We Need - "living arithmetics"

There is a primer, volume one, and volume 2 of stories featuring numbers as well as teaching notes, and workbooks. 

Primer

Workbook

Book One

Storybook

Workbook

Teacher's guide - not currently available

Book Two

Storybook

Workbook 

Teacher's guide

Edited by RosemaryAndThyme
  • Like 5

Arithmetic we need

Arithmetic from primer through grade 6. Grades 7 and 8 appear to be consumer math, with grade 8 teacher's book currently available for borrowing. . These materials are from Canada dated around 1950 or so, in full color. Users may need to adjust currency from Canadian dollar depending on their location.

For most grades, there is a student's textbook, teacher's guide with answer key and teaching notes for each page, and an additional workbook with practice questions. There is a well written scope and sequence in the beginning of each teacher's guide for those who need to submit this information for review or those who may wish it for their own records.

These books were converted to digital format in 2017, so hopefully the grade 7 and 8 materials will become available soon as well.

Oh, I just looked at the textbook for grade 4 and it looks delightful. I like that it has little diagnostic tests that tell you what needs more study; the word problems that are about things kids might care about (scout camps or movie tickets or model airplamnes); the make your own questions from information given; the right or wrong; the pick out the answer that can't be correct and a bunch more.

(Right or wrong.... They have problems like... (making my own) "A new bicycle tire is good for about 2000 miles. Bob bought 2 tires to replace the ones on his bike. He should be able to ride it for 4000 miles." ) I love that it has them thinking!

Memrise.com does free foriegn languages. They are like the next step after Duolingo.

• Like 2

Chemistry: A Study of Matter - courtesy of Georgia Public Broadcasting.  High school level course. 

Physics Fundamentals - courtesy of Georgia Public Broadcasting.  High school level course.  

Salsa Spanish - video-based course for K-3.

Irasshai: Learn Japanese - video lessons are free, corresponding textbooks, workbooks, etc. can be purchased from Amazon.

• Like 3

More chemistry, because that's what we're in the midst of with one of my kids  :D

SEAChem2020 - a work in progress (10 lessons are done), being created by a high school chemistry teacher.  He also wrote a free chemistry textbook (pdf): Chemistry the Awesomest Science  (ETA: but see JanetC's caveat below)

Earth Science:

Introduction to Geology - Christian, old-Earth perspective.  Enough material to be used as a one semester high school course.

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 2

More chemistry, because that's what we're in the midst of with one of my kids :D

SEAChem2020 - a work in progress (10 lessons are done), being created by a high school chemistry teacher. He also wrote a free chemistry textbook (pdf): Chemistry the Awesomest Science

WARNING to preview this carefully folks. I clicked on Chapter 10 of the textbook at random, just to get a taste. Illustration of a woman doing drugs with the caption

Figure 10.1: What does this crackhead have in common with chemists? She understands how to harness the power of combustion reactions for her own purposes.

Edited by JanetC
  • Like 2

WARNING to preview this carefully folks. I clicked on Chapter 10 of the textbook at random, just to get a taste. Illustration of a woman doing drugs with the caption

Figure 10.1: What does this crackhead have in common with chemists? She understands how to harness the power of combustion reactions for her own purposes.

Wow, that is really disappointing.  Thank you for the warning.

Just came across a bunch of materials for health from the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center. I am linking to a Nutrition program for grades 3&4. It includes videos, lesson plans, power points slide and other materials.

http://www.yalegriffinprc.org/Programs-Resources/PRC-Programs-Resources/Nutrition-Detectives

On the left hand side, there are links to other health related curriculum under the heading "Programs & Resources."

• Like 1