Menu

Non fiction book recommendations

A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World by Tony Horowitz (history of the Americas before Columbus) (I LOVED this!)

The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-First Century by Thomas L. Friedman (how the world became a global economy)

Tara

Have you read any by Erik Larson? I'm currently reading Thunderstruck and enjoying it very much. It has the flow of a fictional story but is a real life account of Marconi's work on wireless telegraphy coinciding with Dr. Crippen's arrest for the murder of his wife.

Is this the sort of non-fiction you meant, or are you thinking more along the lines of reference books on particular topics?

Have you read any by Erik Larson? I'm currently reading Thunderstruck and enjoying it very much. It has the flow of a fictional story but is a real life account of Marconi's work on wireless telegraphy coinciding with Dr. Crippen's arrest for the murder of his wife.

Is this the sort of non-fiction you meant, or are you thinking more along the lines of reference books on particular topics?

LOVE Larson! Devil in the White City is excellent, too!

Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingstone by Martin Dugard

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls

1776 by David McCollough

The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

Galileo's Daughter and Longitude, both by Dava Sobel

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

And, it's not non-fiction, but Dancer by Colum McCann is a semi-fictionalized biography of Rudolf Nureyev & was an interesting book to read.

Edited by Stacia